Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD new install windows 7 help!

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 30, 2013 8:21:13 PM

Hey guys,

I have posted on these forums a few times now and have helped me brilliantly every time!

Anyway, I have recently bought an SSD (Samsung 840 120GB) and need help installing my OS. I heard that it is better to do a clean install so that is what i am going to do now, what i need is a full list of dot-points that i can check off as i am going.

ex. -Open BIOS and check "so and so".

This needs to be in lots of detail and i need to know how to get stuff from my HDD onto it. (2TB WD BLACK) i want to transfer BF3 and other games to this SSD.

Thanks in advance, Frustrated n confused

More about : ssd install windows

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 30, 2013 8:34:40 PM

1st go into your bios and ensure ahci is enabled (will allow for faster ssd operation...trim support etc)
2nd pull your power cable on your hdd so it doesn't intefer with install since windows is loaded on it.
3nd reinstall windows fresh on the ssd....
4th once installed and patched reattach your power cable to your hdd....
5th boot up (you will get a choice on which windows to use...guess tell you get it right and its the ssd)
6th once booted with ssd load of windows....trans fer any files you want on the ssd.
7th once all backed up format the hdd to remove windows from it...
8th use hdd as data drive D: or whatever windows assigns it as.
Share
March 30, 2013 8:41:11 PM

atomicWAR said:
1st go into your bios and ensure ahci is enabled (will allow for faster ssd operation...trim support etc)
2nd pull your power cable on your hdd so it doesn't intefer with install since windows is loaded on it.
3nd reinstall windows fresh on the ssd....
4th once installed and patched reattach your power cable to your hdd....
5th boot up (you will get a choice on which windows to use...guess tell you get it right and its the ssd)
6th once booted with ssd load of windows....trans fer any files you want on the ssd.
7th once all backed up format the hdd to remove windows from it...
8th use hdd as data drive D: or whatever windows assigns it as.


Thanks heaps! also with the BIOS is the TRIM option seperate from AHCI or are they the same thing?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 30, 2013 8:44:02 PM

enable both...depends on the bios....usally its just ahci for both
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 8:47:46 PM

atomicWAR said:
enable both...depends on the bios....usally its just ahci for both


OK thankyou. I will reply with any problems and whether or not it worked :) 
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 30, 2013 8:49:32 PM

cool beans i will wait to hear back from you.
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 6:11:55 AM

atomicWAR said:
cool beans i will wait to hear back from you.


Well thankyou very much is all i can say :)  i am now cruising at the speed of sound on my PC
m
0
l
!