Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my Gigabyte GTX 660 ti being bottlenecked by something?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 30, 2013 8:24:56 PM

I get unbelievably low FPS (40 max/20 min) in World of Tanks @ MAX.
This PC is brand new, I just built it yesterday.

Specs:
Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera, running @ 4.1ghz
MB: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 ti 2GB DDR5
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B Power supply - 850 Watt
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Ares 1866 - Manual set timing to factory | 10-11-10-30
(Running @1600 due to BIOS problems accepting 1866- Any help with that would be wonderful as well)
OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Running all my games @ 1366x768 resolution.

What I've done:

Fully updated all drivers for motherboard/gpu
Updated BIOS, etc. while trying to fix my 1600-1866 ram speed issue.
Spent hours googling for similar problems without any luck.
Turned everything to Performance in NVidia control panel, as well as turned off VSync in-game & on panel.




More about : gigabyte gtx 660 bottlenecked

March 30, 2013 8:44:50 PM

AMD processor.
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 8:52:37 PM

Kjwinden said:
AMD processor.


I don't think the CPU is the answer, its more than capable of handling the GPU :/ 
m
0
l
Related resources
March 30, 2013 8:55:38 PM

It's the only thing in your list that is sub-par.
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 8:58:39 PM

shotgunz said:
World of Tanks has been known to choke on some high end pc's but it is mainly the fault of the drivers like here

http://ftr-wot.blogspot.ca/2013/02/wot-and-nvidia-drive....

and here http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/214555-8...

Try using older drivers like 306.xx http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-3...

Also, mind telling me your IGN in world of tanks? I'll help you more later if you want.


Thank's for the advice, my IGN is _dipstick

m
0
l
March 30, 2013 8:59:46 PM

The AMD CPU is fine for most games but not WOT

You need to OC the CPU more since WOT is stupidly single threaded. Even a stock i5 would bottleneck an 660ti
I hit 100% usage on 1 core while the rest idle, GPU at about 70% usage, latest AMD drivers and all that

Running high preset on my sig rig 1080p 50fps+ min
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 9:03:55 PM

stickmansam said:
The AMD CPU is fine for most games but not WOT

You need to OC the CPU more since WOT is stupidly single threaded. Even a stock i5 would bottleneck an 660ti

Running high preset on my sig rig 1080p 50fps+ min


Due to me just building this PC yesterday, I still have the stock heatsink because I didn't think I would have to OC this setup to play WOT. What would you recommend as for OCing with the stock heatsink, if at all?
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 9:12:53 PM

dipstick said:
stickmansam said:
The AMD CPU is fine for most games but not WOT

You need to OC the CPU more since WOT is stupidly single threaded. Even a stock i5 would bottleneck an 660ti

Running high preset on my sig rig 1080p 50fps+ min


Due to me just building this PC yesterday, I still have the stock heatsink because I didn't think I would have to OC this setup to play WOT. What would you recommend as for OCing with the stock heatsink, if at all?


I would avoid any OC for now or only a very light one 4.3ghz?

I had a 2ghz phenom II n930 + 5650m and @768p medium the cpu was bottle necking my 5650m 50% gpu usage and only 30fps ish

Any setup on earth needs an OC to play wot 50fps+ :p  They really need to get more load onto additional independent threads


I would say you got an driver + OC issue since even my Phenom II x4 N930 @2ghz didn't have that many issues
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 9:50:21 PM

shotgunz said:
download coretemp and Gpu-z

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=3

http://us1-dl.techpowerup.com//SysInfo/GPU-Z/GPU-Z.0.6....

And post an image to us like this or tell us the cpu and gpu usage



Also, why does i7 3630qm at 1.6ghz + nvidia 650m run WoT faster at 1366x768? Is the FX-8350 that horrible at a game that uses one and a half cpu cores?


I would say he has an driver issue or even another issue playing it's hand here

my PII x4 n930 at 2ghz and a 5650m runs WOT a bit faster at high for 1366x768 on my laptop

Your i7 3630qm also should turbo up to 3.4ghz :p 
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:07:27 PM

Temps don't seem to be an issue
CPU is loaded all the way up on 1 core all the way

I would say an driver issue is your biggest culprit. Or some unknown issue with some random program in the background.

Try a light OC to see if you get a bit higher fps to see if the issue is with the CPU
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:09:51 PM

stickmansam said:
Temps don't seem to be an issue
CPU is loaded all the way up on 1 core all the way

I would say an driver issue is your biggest culprit. Or some unknown issue with some random program in the background.

Try a light OC to see if you get a bit higher fps


I took the advice of shotgunz, and downgraded my gpu driver to 306.97, no change in FPS
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:12:43 PM

dipstick said:
stickmansam said:
Temps don't seem to be an issue
CPU is loaded all the way up on 1 core all the way

I would say an driver issue is your biggest culprit. Or some unknown issue with some random program in the background.

Try a light OC to see if you get a bit higher fps


I took the advice of shotgunz, and downgraded my gpu driver to 306.97, no change in FPS


Try a light OC as well as testing out different levels of quality
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:16:31 PM

You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:33:45 PM

bystander said:
You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.


Only AA in WOT is FXAA LQ, MQ and HQ

He could ahve used hardware AA i guess

m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:47:22 PM

stickmansam said:
bystander said:
You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.


Only AA in WOT is FXAA LQ, MQ and HQ

He could ahve used hardware AA i guess



My AA was turned to HQ, I set it to Off and Low without any FPS increase
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:49:30 PM

dipstick said:
stickmansam said:
bystander said:
You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.


Only AA in WOT is FXAA LQ, MQ and HQ

He could ahve used hardware AA i guess



My AA was turned to HQ, I set it to Off and Low without any FPS increase


Can you check GPU usage? If lower graphics settings does not improve FPS, that is a big sign that your CPU is a bottleneck.
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:51:50 PM

My GPU usage is at only 17%, proving that the way WoT is ran, from one core, is bottlenecking my GPU. Is there any way around that short of OCing?
m
0
l
March 30, 2013 10:52:31 PM

bystander said:
dipstick said:
stickmansam said:
bystander said:
You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.


Only AA in WOT is FXAA LQ, MQ and HQ

He could ahve used hardware AA i guess



My AA was turned to HQ, I set it to Off and Low without any FPS increase


Can you check GPU usage? If lower graphics settings does not improve FPS, that is a big sign that your CPU is a bottleneck.


His GPU load in his screenie earlier is about 19%, that is to be expected though for 1366x768 (I only hit about 70-80% on 1080p high on a 7850)
m
0
l
March 31, 2013 8:35:54 AM

stickmansam said:
bystander said:
dipstick said:
stickmansam said:
bystander said:
You may want to lower your settings. Max settings is not an easy task.

What AA level do you have it set to? Anything beyond 4x MSAA is asking for trouble.


Only AA in WOT is FXAA LQ, MQ and HQ

He could ahve used hardware AA i guess



My AA was turned to HQ, I set it to Off and Low without any FPS increase


Can you check GPU usage? If lower graphics settings does not improve FPS, that is a big sign that your CPU is a bottleneck.


His GPU load in his screenie earlier is about 19%, that is to be expected though for 1366x768 (I only hit about 70-80% on 1080p high on a 7850)

In either case it is a bottleneck. And his resolution difference should at most halve the usage. When you drop the resolution, it does make you hit the CPU cap easier than at higher resolutions. It just happens that his cap is very low.

m
0
l
March 31, 2013 11:59:06 AM

It's just weird that his cpu is such a limit when much weaker cpu's have about the same fps
m
0
l
!