Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

BF3 graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 31, 2013 1:55:46 PM

I am looking to upgrade my current 6670 to something better. I am playing alot of BF3 right now and going to get BF4 too. I am not to sure if this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
should do the job for BF3 on high'ish settings 1080p, right now I can only get about 30 on lowest at 720p, lol. The reason why i thought about that card is it states it is facotry OC'd and it is pretty cheap for a 7850. My current specs are:
Phenom ii 965 BE
corsair XMS3 at 1333 mhz
Rosewill Challenger case <------ no custom cooling
250gb 7200 RPM drive
Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 Mobo <----- Idk if this does Crossfire?
CD-Rom
Rosewill HIVE series 650w Bronze certified

So i am hoping to get 60'ish frames too when i get BF4 i can understand i will probably be using medium settings. I hope you guys can help me out, thanks.

More about : bf3 graphics card

a c 212 U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 2:23:11 PM

The product description says MoBo is CF capable but with one of the 2 slots only x4, I wouldn't bother.

Here's the new 650 Ti Boost and 7850 compared in BF3
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_ti...

Which one ya choose may well depend on the game bundle you prefer

Hawken, World of Tanks, and PlanetSide 2
vs
Bioshock and TombRaider

March 31, 2013 2:47:17 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
The product description says MoBo is CF capable but with one of the 2 slots only x4, I wouldn't bother.

Here's the new 650 Ti Boost and 7850 compared in BF3
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_ti...

Which one ya choose may well depend on the game bundle you prefer

Hawken, World of Tanks, and PlanetSide 2
vs
Bioshock and TombRaider


Thanks for the answer, but the games dont "really" matter to me, the only thing that I am worried about is uninstalling the drivers and installing them with the new graphics card. wouldnt it be easier to get an amd card since I already have one? I was just wondering about the crossfire thing, it didnt state it anywhere on the box.
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 3:09:13 PM
Share

Well, i would try to be at the safe side if i were you. How? Now you can buy a 7850 or GTX 650Ti Boost and they can play BF3 nicely with 40ish FPS but there is the BF4 coming up soon and that will most probably require some more from your hardware. I mean your CPU is also not that good and that puts some pressure on your GPU selection. Long story short, i'd get a good GTX 660 or a 7870. Though, if 7850 or GTX 650 Ti boost can do 40 FPS with Ultra setting perhaps they will get you higher FPS turning down some eye candy. My opinion though, i'd like to be at the safer side paying some 20-30 bucks more (if you can afford) and getting a tier higher GPU with your current set-up. Take a look at CPU scaling: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2307366

Note: Jack pointed to a nice review but keep in mind that they use Core i7 3960 Extreme CPU in that review. You have a much weaker CPU too. That is what i mean: maybe you must consider a tier higher GPU
March 31, 2013 3:17:47 PM

technoholic said:
Well, i would try to be at the safe side if i were you. How? Now you can buy a 7850 or GTX 650Ti Boost and they can play BF3 nicely with 40ish FPS but there is the BF4 coming up soon and that will most probably require some more from your hardware. I mean your CPU is also not that good and that puts some pressure on your GPU selection. Long story short, i'd get a good GTX 660 or a 7870. Though, if 7850 or GTX 650 Ti boost can do 40 FPS with Ultra setting perhaps they will get you higher FPS turning down some eye candy. My opinion though, i'd like to be at the safer side paying some 20-30 bucks more (if you can afford) and getting a tier higher GPU with your current set-up. Take a look at CPU scaling: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2307366

Note: Jack pointed to a nice review but keep in mind that they use Core i7 3960 Extreme CPU in that review. You have a much weaker CPU too. That is what i mean: maybe you must consider a tier higher GPU

Hmm. I am thinking about a 660, but how would I go about the drivers and such? do I just uninstall amd drivers through the uninstall a program window?
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 3:30:32 PM

well i did one time a brand switch and just uninstalled old drivers from control panel and then used this program http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweepe...
to delete any left overs from drivers and then shut-down and unplugged pc (important :)  ) and replaced cards, made sure all power connectors are set correctly and just started my pc and installed new drivers. Everything went nicely. But i am not an expert in this so maybe someone else can help you better cause i did that with older generation cards so i am not sure if this way is right for current stuff
March 31, 2013 3:35:51 PM

technoholic said:
well i did one time a brand switch and just uninstalled old drivers from control panel and then used this program http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweepe...
to delete any left overs from drivers and then shut-down and unplugged pc (important :)  ) and replaced cards, made sure all power connectors are set correctly and just started my pc and installed new drivers. Everything went nicely. But i am not an expert in this so maybe someone else can help you better cause i did that with older generation cards so i am not sure if this way is right for current stuff

Ok I think Ill have to do this either way even I stay with AMD from what i've read. Ill keep this sight in mind :) .
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 3:57:38 PM

If you have never done this before, maybe it is best to let a computer service expert do this for you. Or at least ask for help from some friend who is experienced. You know, you can harm your motherboard or your GPU if you do something wrong
March 31, 2013 4:00:36 PM

technoholic said:
If you have never done this before, maybe it is best to let a computer service expert do this for you. Or at least ask for help from some friend who is experienced. You know, you can harm your motherboard or your GPU if you do something wrong


I built this computer, I think i'll be fine, but I cant seem to find a 256 bit version of the 660? only a 192 bit, does it really matter?
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 4:12:10 PM

porkabakin11 said:
technoholic said:
If you have never done this before, maybe it is best to let a computer service expert do this for you. Or at least ask for help from some friend who is experienced. You know, you can harm your motherboard or your GPU if you do something wrong


I built this computer, I think i'll be fine, but I cant seem to find a 256 bit version of the 660? only a 192 bit, does it really matter?
All 660s have 192bit bus so there is some other things you need to consider when you are buying a GPU:
- Brand/build quality
- Should have a good cooling system, even if you will not overclock heavily (for me this is one of the most important, i would even pay some extra fo this)
- Ask someone who uses that brand/model or read comments about the product in its page (if you purchase online)
- Rebates or special discounts -- always compare prices (just make a search in big hardware sellers on the net, maybe you can find the card with special discount or with some bundle somewhere)
- Some brands offer better warranty/support or upgrade programs
- Do not decide too quickly -- maybe you can choose some different cards and ask here in this forums which one is the best cooling/performing etc
March 31, 2013 4:17:34 PM

technoholic said:
porkabakin11 said:
technoholic said:
If you have never done this before, maybe it is best to let a computer service expert do this for you. Or at least ask for help from some friend who is experienced. You know, you can harm your motherboard or your GPU if you do something wrong


I built this computer, I think i'll be fine, but I cant seem to find a 256 bit version of the 660? only a 192 bit, does it really matter?
All 660s have 192bit bus so there is some other things you need to consider when you are buying a GPU:
- Brand/build quality
- Should have a good cooling system, even if you will not overclock heavily (for me this is one of the most important, i would even pay some extra fo this)
- Ask someone who uses that brand/model or read comments about the product in its page (if you purchase online)
- Rebates or special discounts -- always compare prices (just make a search in big hardware sellers on the net, maybe you can find the card with special discount or with some bundle somewhere)
- Some brands offer better warranty/support or upgrade programs
- Do not decide too quickly -- maybe you can choose some different cards and ask here in this forums which one is the best cooling/performing etc

Alright turns out, I have decided on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only problem is, it is 9.5" in length, I do not know if that will fit in my case. if you could help that would be nice because I would not like to buy a graphics card that does not fit :S
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 4:32:53 PM

porkabakin11 said:

Alright turns out, I have decided on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only problem is, it is 9.5" in length, I do not know if that will fit in my case. if you could help that would be nice because I would not like to buy a graphics card that does not fit :S
I would recommend looking for a 7870 XT instead of vanilla 7870 cause XTs are better performers and are based on Tahiti architecture (in short, a HD 7870XT is a cut-down version of a HD 7950) and you can find these for similar prices. An example (though out of stock now): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the size problem, that Tahiti-LE GPU in the link i gave, it has an over 10" length and i really don't know if this can fit in your case. Is it this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 31, 2013 4:35:59 PM

technoholic said:
porkabakin11 said:

Alright turns out, I have decided on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only problem is, it is 9.5" in length, I do not know if that will fit in my case. if you could help that would be nice because I would not like to buy a graphics card that does not fit :S
I would recommend looking for a 7870 XT instead of vanilla 7870 cause XTs are better performers and are based on Tahiti architecture (in short, a HD 7870XT is a cut-down version of a HD 7950) and you can find these for similar prices. An example (though out of stock now): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the size problem, that Tahiti-LE GPU in the link i gave, it has an over 10" length and i really don't know if this can fit in your case. Is it this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Yup thats my case
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2013 4:51:19 PM

Your case dimensions: 18.50" x 7.48" x 17.08"
Looks like enough space to me but i really can't say it for sure whether or not a 10.80" card will fit in there
March 31, 2013 5:04:28 PM

technoholic said:
Your case dimensions: 18.50" x 7.48" x 17.08"
Looks like enough space to me but i really can't say it for sure whether or not a 10.80" card will fit in there


Ok, well I saw a guy with a sapphire 6950, so I am pretty sure at least a 10" card will fit, lol. thanks for the help btw.
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2013 5:59:46 AM

Keep in mind:
If you are settled on HD 7870, make sure it is a HD 7870 XT with Tahiti-LE architecture. XTs cost similarly to standart 7870s but they have higher performance and higher potential. So it is like 1 tier higher card for the same money. This is important. Search the internet for some benchmarks to compare if you want.

Choose a reputable brand and make sure the card has a good cooling system (ie Gigabyte's Windforce, Asus's DirectCU, MSI's Twin Frozr etc)

Your case may need some fans. They are cheap and provide cooling for all your hardware by establishing air flow into and out of your case.
!