FX 8350 New Build - Windows 8 Running Slowly.

Farrajay

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Hi Guys, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue for me. I've recently put together a new build consisting of an FX 8350, Hyper 212 Evo, 8 GB G. Skill Ram, Asrock Extreme 4 Mobo & a ATI 7770 GHz. The build was originally meant to be a budget build but things got a bit out of hand, for this reason I passed on the SSD and instead installed Windows 8 on a WD Caviar Blue 1TB. Since I've put it together though I feel that Windows 8 has been pretty sluggish all round. I haven't used an AMD CPU in quite a while but I can't help but feel it is much slower than my previous i5 3570K + SSD build. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? At first I had an AMD 6100 and thought maybe it was just the CPU so I then upgraded to the 8350, whilst there was a marked improvement, it hasn't solved the problem.

Hopefully someone might have some ideas as to the source of the problem as I'm not quite sure if the problem lies with the CPU or HDD. Cheers guys :)

8350rocks

Distinguished
Your ASrock motherboard has a v1.7 BIOS specifically out to address windows 8. If you haven't udpated it yet, please do, that should make a noticeable increase in the performance of your OS and regular apps. You can go to www.asrock.com to get the update and download it for free.

Also, be sure to get the version for your chipset. The BIOS for the 970 and the 990FX series motherboards are different.

logainofhades

Titan

The SSD is most of the reason for the performance difference. If the i5 build had the same 1tb blue, the difference in performance wouldn't really be noticeable.

Tseg

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
I recently bought an off the shelf system with an FX-6200 + 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HHD + Windows 8. It was snappy. However, I ended up returning it because when I installed a 840pro SSD it performed at SATA II speeds despite the board being advertised as having SATA III ports. I called the manufacturer and they blamed Samsung and actually told me to return my new computer.

Now I have an I7-3770 + 256GB 840pro (with system by a different manufacturer). It came with Windows 7, and this setup felt slower than the (technically much slower) AMD CPU with Windows 8. I upgraded to 8 and now my new system is really snappy... but not enough for me to consider the FX6200 sluggish (ok... maybe a little as boot times went from 20 sec. to 10 sec with the press of the power button). The SSD, BTW, is now exceeding benchmarks in the low 500's. Anyway, if you think your system feels sluggish with Windows 8 with what you got, something does not sound right.