I have a big MSI 17" gaming laptop and have found it impractical to take to school or meetings. I've spent the past few weeks mulling over various options for a portable computer. Here is what I've found:
ASUS UX32VD-DH71: Everything I want but outside my price range (Best I can find is $1,222) Ideapad U410: Right now there is a sale on the Ultrabook version that would work but I've read there is a WiFi issue with some of these. Toshiba Tecra R940: Weighs over 4lbs though currently on sale for under $1000 HP Spectre XT 13t-2100 Ultrabook: Barely under the $1000 mark but has only 4gig of ram. Not sure its will run Win 8 & multiple apps.
I've searched through the forum and couldn't find an exact match to my requirements.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 12-14" - The 11" models don't have enough screen real estate and the 15"+ usually are too heavy and not long enough battery life.
3. What screen resolution do you want? 720p min but 1080p is optimal
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable! Prefer ultrabook
5. How much battery life do you need? 4+ hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I'd like for the device to handle League of Legends well & maybe Border Lands 2 on low. Mostly for when my girlfriend comes over so we have a second machine.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) This device will primarily be used for writing (Scrivner), web surfing, Netflix/hulu watching. In my dreams, it can also handle Photoshop & Premiere Pro CS6.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? After OS, I'll need around ~100 gigs
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I prefer to buy from known sites like Amazon, XioticPc, NewEgg, OriginPC, HP, etc.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? ~3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I've heard Asus laptops are reliable and have low maintenance. The new Gigabyte 2442 models look nice. I like the return policy on the Sony models.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Windows OS please! Windows 8-64bit is something I'd like to play with but I would be happy with a Windows 7
A touchscreen would be nice but isn't a make or break issue.
I would like for the laptop to weigh < ~4lb
Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide!
Go for this - HP Spectre XT 13t-2100 Ultrabook. your only complaint is the RAM, it costs less than $30 to double the RAM and takes about 25 seconds to change on most laptops. Go for that and upgrade the next time you have a spare $30. P.S 4GB is plenty anyway. I play alot of games on my desktop and I only just upgraded to 8GB (that was only because a friend did LOL) no other reason apart from that!