Who needs a $200-400 motherboard?

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Return question, why do you want a top of the range car model?

Because it comes with all the bells and whistles. Same applies to Motherboards.

Higher end motherboards usually if not always performs better in systems that are over clocked due to the more expensive equipment/parts used.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
It all depends on what you plan on doing with your machine, the more expensive boards will have a lot more features, more PCI-e slots, more Ram slots and better hardware support. You will get a better overclock on a better board (usually) and the more expensive ones tend to last longer and have better upgrade potential also not as important but is to me the expensive boards look freekin cool. In short if you just want a machine that works and lets say just want a low to mid range and cost gaming rig that has little to no frills then the cheep boards are the way to go. Also cheep boards are great if you are new to building PC's (or like i did built one for the kids) as most tend to be no fuss. If you want a machine you can push to the max with overclocking, obscene amounts of ram and 4 GPU's then you will need a better board

Edit: As a note though in some cases more expensive does not mean better some lower priced boards are fantastic value and can do most of the thing a high price one can (some research req).

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
You get better layouts better power handling, more stability when overclocking. The cheep board tend to have 4 pin atx slots where the better ones have 8 pin as they can handle more power. The quality of the components on the board are usually better. You have got a bigger chance of damaging a cheep board when overclocking. It is all down to personal choice. The prices are insane and if you look from a budget point of view paying an extra $100-200 on a board for some extra stuff and features you are never going to use is insane and there are a lot of features on more expensive board that the cheaper ones simply dont have. Also they will have a better newer chipset's for supporting the CPU and future upgrades. For an enthusiast getting the most from your machine is important and also with a better board will get more CPU and GPU upgrades before it needs replacing. For the average user getting something that works well for what you need it for then good value for money is important. So is the paying an extra $100 for a board really worth it, probably not for what you get. You dont get double the features or double the overclock potential for double the money but you do get the piece of mind that yes it will do exactly what you want it to no matter what you do with it. It will not be limited by some simple bios setting that is not there. It also has a lot to do with mine can do that and yours cant, some people will pimp there ride others will pimp there pc.

maybe I've been lucky. I've only ever built one rig and have had no real issues. I bought all the parts in a store (no shipping...could damage) and my system has run beautifully for almost a year now. I bought this system in plans of keeping it for 3 maybe 4 years, but now thinking I could go longer.

I just feel like a $130 mobo is reliable 95% of time, and a $300 mobo is reliable 98% of time. Meaning,..reliability isn't that different. I'm not trying to start a fire, just trying to understand the rationale of someone that does spend $300 on a mobo. I'm happy to hear your input.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
If the machines are not abused there is nothing wrong with a cheap board, they can do a lot of the stuff as a high price one. I built a reasonable priced system for the kids, did a bit of overclocking and it runs great and I have had no issues what so ever with it (well the kids keep bogging it up with crap but cant do anything about that lol). The main factor in buying a high price board is the dreaded benchmark scores and pushing your PC to the absolute limit while still being stable enough for everyday use. With the pimp my pc people (no offense intended as i am one myself) then it is important to get that few extra MHz just because you can, its important to have the best just because it is. My logic is that if your going to spend £400 on a graphics card and nearly as much on a CPU then pay top cash for fast RAM why install it all on a budget board? The board will then be the weakest link and imo its the most important part of the machine. I totally agree with what you say that paying the extra cash for what seems like not much difference but if you are anal about that bit extra like i am then it has to be done and not only that most do look freekin awesome. I got a windowed case, lighting, that many fans i lost count and most are illuminated(I dont like water cooling), colored cables the lot (anal i know but i love it). Install all that on a cheap board and imo its a total waste of time as it looks nasty with huge ugly PCB at the back of it all. Its anal but i love it :D