1366 I7 930 upgrade

DanielN87

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hi

I currently have the I7 930 at stock 2.80Ghz. I am going to be upgrading to either the 3820 (2011) or the 3770k (1155). Over clocking is out of the question for me.

I currently run with:
I7 930@2.80
6GB DDR3 Triple channel 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 Corsair Dominator
P6X58D Premium ( Sata 3 & USB 3.0 port board)
2 x Vertex 4 SSDs
GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Corsair HX850W
Fatal1ty Titanium pro sound card
120Hz monitor AW2310

I have bought 16GB ram and a CPU cooler that is compatible with both 1155 and 2011. My question is, what socket should I go for? 90% gaming and 10% Microsoft office.

Will I notice a difference losing the triple channel ram by going to 1155?
Also I like ASUS motherboards :)

Solution
Your link gives me an error and there's like a million Asus MBs that start with that product code. Can't comment on your current choice.
However: If you're not OC-ing and you don't have particular needs (loads of drives, thunderbolt, MSATA, Wifi, etc), there's really no reason to spend up on a motherboard. In fact, if you're going with a non-K processor, H77 would be a cheaper and equivalent option. Just make sure you've got a slot for your sound card (and the GPU, obviously) and you should be good to go.
Better motherboards really only add features (extra USB/SATA, Wifi, Thunderbolt etc) or better power delivery for overclocking, they have no real impact on performance.
If you want the option of adding a second 670 to SLI in...
The 2011 offers almost nothing to gamers, unless you're looking at an uber 3 or 4 GPU rig. Particularly the 3820 is a nothing CPU unless you absolutely need quad channel RAM or the extra PCIe lanes. Sandy/Ivy (2xxx & 3xxx) actually have really fast memory controllers. I haven't seen any benchmarks (so I might be wrong!), but it wouldn't surprise me if dual channel RAM on 1155 is just as fast as the triple channel you're running on your current chipset. In any case, it's plenty fast enough for gaming. There's a few reviews of OC'd RAM about (even here on Toms I believe) and going above 1600mhz dual channel has no measurable impact on gaming unless you're using an integrated GPU. Which clearly you're not!

Also, if you're dead-set against overclocking, there's no point getting a K processor. Just get the 3770 (non-K).
There's also very little benefit to games in going from an i5 3570 to an i7 3770 - they benchmark the same in games. Judging from your rig, you like high-end hardware? I understand the allure of the 3770, just be aware it doesn't offer anything to gamers over the cheaper 3570.

Your link gives me an error and there's like a million Asus MBs that start with that product code. Can't comment on your current choice.
However: If you're not OC-ing and you don't have particular needs (loads of drives, thunderbolt, MSATA, Wifi, etc), there's really no reason to spend up on a motherboard. In fact, if you're going with a non-K processor, H77 would be a cheaper and equivalent option. Just make sure you've got a slot for your sound card (and the GPU, obviously) and you should be good to go.
Better motherboards really only add features (extra USB/SATA, Wifi, Thunderbolt etc) or better power delivery for overclocking, they have no real impact on performance.
If you want the option of adding a second 670 to SLI in future, make sure your board supports that.
I don't really know enough to comment on particular brands.

Solution