Sign in with
Your question

8320 looking for higher stable clock\voltage

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2013 9:07:59 PM

With my new FX-8320 i've been trying to reach at least 4.4GHz, 4.2Ghz disappointing but acceptable. So far the max stable speed I can get is 4GHz @ 1.375v. Not worried about FSB adjustment or oc'ing NB.
Have gone through the steps I and 99% of the users I have ever read about always use. Through BIOS: subtle steps of raising CPU speed until errors or crash, then subtle steps of voltage until stability. After many failed attempts @ anything higher I have given up and come for some advice:
How likely is it I just got a "retarded" CPU that can't excel?
Is it more likely my motherboard just isn't handling this CPU very well? Is Asrock 890GX Pro3, of course BIOS is up to date. Had a 955BE in it running 4.2GHz @ 1.4v with very good temps and never had an issue, NB was 2600MHz 2.25v.

Keep Turbo disabled. Have tried settings 1 by 1: CPU Load-Line Calibration, Core C6 State, CPU Thermal Throttle, and Spread Spectrum all both enabled and disabled and didnt help with stability either way with any of them. With all disabled I noticed my temps went down a tiny bit.

I have checked through many forums\articles here and not seeing anything that helps me. Any advice or info is much appreciated. I have quite a bit of experience with overclocking through BIOS but hoping there's just something simple I've missed or new that pertains to this series.
April 5, 2013 5:43:46 AM

Got to 4.5Ghz using the multi. Used a voltage of around 1.40v. I didnt go the extra mile fine tuning with the FSB. But runs great. All power saving options enabled. runs at 1.4Ghz idle 0.9v
m
l
April 5, 2013 6:39:19 AM

Ace_Jambo said:
Got to 4.5Ghz using the multi. Used a voltage of around 1.40v. I didnt go the extra mile fine tuning with the FSB. But runs great. All power saving options enabled. runs at 1.4Ghz idle 0.9v

as you can read above I have tried going as far as I can with just multi and voltage. "So far the max stable speed I can get is 4GHz @ 1.375v." doesn't matter how high i boost the voltage. 4GHz is as far as I can go and still run. any higher and as soon as prime95 or any game starts it just freezes and dies. as I also stated, "after many attempts at anything higher I have given up and come for some advice." what I am looking for is advice passed just multi/voltage. some other settings that may affect this.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2013 2:51:52 PM

Have you used CPU-z to monitor your CPU vcore during load? I was able to hit 4.4 on mine by tightening up LLC and giving it a single voltage bump.

I would try using Intel Burn Test and Hardware Monitor and see what readings started going AWOL right before it crashed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2013 8:55:28 PM

Are you getting any BSOD's with error messages? If so what are they? If not and you are just freezing up I suggest you download Memtest86, run it for an hour or 2. You always want to eliminate the possibility of ram instability when running into serious crashes during a mild overclock. I had my own issues with RAM overclocking my 8350. If you attempt Memtest and it passes then come back and we can take the next steps. I'll check back on the post to see if I can help. Goodluck!
m
l
April 6, 2013 4:45:35 AM

chrisafp07 said:
Are you getting any BSOD's with error messages? If so what are they? If not and you are just freezing up I suggest you download Memtest86, run it for an hour or 2. You always want to eliminate the possibility of ram instability when running into serious crashes during a mild overclock. I had my own issues with RAM overclocking my 8350. If you attempt Memtest and it passes then come back and we can take the next steps. I'll check back on the post to see if I can help. Goodluck!

never an error through windows. no returned errors through 4hr memory tests. everything is perfectly fine and stable @ current clock\voltage 4GHz\1.375v.
even @ 4.1GHz\1.4v; just stops with any demanding program, freezes. doesn't even crash or BSOD, just freezes. been overclocking CPUs, RAM, GPUs for at least 6 years now and this is really seeming like i just got a weak one.
doesnt get hot, has never passed 50° while testing\gaming. usually stays closer to 35-40° with any modern game with ultra\high settings @ 1080p.
had no trouble overclocking my PhenomII 955. back to my questions: 1) how likely is it i got a weak cpu? 2) how likely is it my motherboard just isn't working well with the AM3+?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 5:33:51 AM

GObonzo said:
chrisafp07 said:

never an error through windows. no returned errors through 4hr memory tests. everything is perfectly fine and stable @ current clock\voltage 4GHz\1.375v.
even @ 4.1GHz\1.4v; just stops with any demanding program, freezes. doesn't even crash or BSOD, just freezes. been overclocking CPUs, RAM, GPUs for at least 6 years now and this is really seeming like i just got a weak one.
doesnt get hot, has never passed 50° while testing\gaming. usually stays closer to 35-40° with any modern game with ultra\high settings @ 1080p.
had no trouble overclocking my PhenomII 955. back to my questions: 1) how likely is it i got a weak cpu? 2) how likely is it my motherboard just isn't working well with the AM3+?

1) Not very likely if you are currently stable where you stand
2) It is possible due to your mobo's power phases that it may not be providing a steady enough stream for the AM3+ FX 8cores. When I upgraded to an 8350 (using a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P board) I ran into major issues just running at stock because the cpu wasn't getting enough power. I certainly would not rule out your mobo yet.

Now, after seeing that you aren't getting error messages but simply freezes/lockups until you manually shutdown I think you really need to manually set your ram timings and then run Memtest86. I was experiencing the same freezes even after I upgraded my board to a 990fx (although the CPU was getting enough power now and would run stable at 4ghz until stressed in IBT or Prime). I ran Memtest and luckily found no errors but realized my timings were off and fixed the issue.

I think your next step should be Memtest, then report back with your results. I don't wanna suggest anything else yet because if it is memory related we could be just wasting time. Once you do that and get no errors then maybe we can have a look at your motherboard.

m
l
April 6, 2013 7:11:31 AM

chrisafp07 said:

1) Not very likely if you are currently stable where you stand
2) It is possible due to your mobo's power phases that it may not be providing a steady enough stream for the AM3+ FX 8cores. When I upgraded to an 8350 (using a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P board) I ran into major issues just running at stock because the cpu wasn't getting enough power. I certainly would not rule out your mobo yet.

Now, after seeing that you aren't getting error messages but simply freezes/lockups until you manually shutdown I think you really need to manually set your ram timings and then run Memtest86. I was experiencing the same freezes even after I upgraded my board to a 990fx (although the CPU was getting enough power now and would run stable at 4ghz until stressed in IBT or Prime). I ran Memtest and luckily found no errors but realized my timings were off and fixed the issue.

I think your next step should be Memtest, then report back with your results. I don't wanna suggest anything else yet because if it is memory related we could be just wasting time. Once you do that and get no errors then maybe we can have a look at your motherboard.

those were my Memtest results: "no returned errors through 4hr memory tests" last night. set them at manufacturer listed timings when i put them in and are still at those timings.

and about question (1). i said " weak", not faulty. meaning that the CPU can't handle MUCH overclock, not that it is damaged or a bad product.
through the years of overclocking i have seen many users stating that they can't reach desired speeds or any overclock at all. usually it is user error or temperature problems but many have claimed it's just the CPU itself.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 7:18:13 AM

It certainly is possible, but even with a so called "weak" cpu I think you would still achieve higher.

Try disabling turbo, and: CPU Load-Line Calibration, Core C6 State, CPU Thermal Throttle, and Spread Spectrum

I know you mentioned above that you have tried with those settings enabled and disabled already, for now just keep them all disabled. What is your current CPU/NB clock speed and voltage?

At least Memtest passed so that is out of the question now.
m
l
April 6, 2013 7:41:09 AM

chrisafp07 said:
Try disabling turbo, and: CPU Load-Line Calibration, Core C6 State, CPU Thermal Throttle, and Spread Spectrum.

made sure all are back to disabled. also double checked mem: still 9-9-9-24 @1.65v

What is your current CPU/NB clock speed and voltage?

BIOS listed as - NB: default 2200MHz, CPU\NB: default 1.225v

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 8:00:21 AM

I looked up your motherboard as well. The FX 8100 series is listed as supported but not any 8300 series. That was the issue I ran into with my 78LMT-S2P boardm which I upgraded to a Gigabyte 970A and it still wouldn't overclock, I then had to grab a 990FX board and now I can get stable at 4.7ghz and run a 24/7 4.5ghz overclock. To be honest, looking at your boards specs and power phases leads me to believe it is 100% your motherboard. Now that I've looked it up I think that is your issue. I can say one thing for sure, you definitely will not get a satisfactory overclock with that board. I'd take a look at 990 boards, there are some affordable ASRock boards out there.

Goodluck! If you need anything else or have another question I'll be checking in. nice profile pick btw ;p Me likes lol

Also, with a 990 board you will need alot less voltage to achieve a higher overclock, I run 4.5ghz at 1.38v.
m
l
April 6, 2013 8:12:59 AM

chrisafp07 said:
I looked up your motherboard as well. The FX 8100 series is listed as supported but not any 8300 series. That was the issue I ran into with my 78LMT-S2P boardm which I upgraded to a Gigabyte 970A and it still wouldn't overclock, I then had to grab a 990FX board and now I can get stable at 4.7ghz and run a 24/7 4.5ghz overclock. To be honest, looking at your boards specs and power phases leads me to believe it is 100% your motherboard. Now that I've looked it up I think that is your issue. I can say one thing for sure, you definitely will not get a satisfactory overclock with that board. I'd take a look at 990 boards, there are some affordable ASRock boards out there.

Goodluck! If you need anything else or have another question I'll be checking in. nice profile pick btw ;p Me likes lol

Also, with a 990 board you will need alot less voltage to achieve a higher overclock, I run 4.5ghz at 1.38v.
been checkin out a few just for more SATA and USB3.0 ports besides the 990 boost. might just be that time.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 8:15:45 AM

Yea, sorry, not always fun to hear it, but if you do upgrade you'll be really happy. I got the ASRock 990FX Pro Fatal1ty board and it came with a USB 3.0 front panel too and I love this board. Looks awesome too.
m
l
April 6, 2013 8:23:09 AM

always a rush\buzz from upgrades. they've got us hooked and they know it! rat bastards
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 8:54:03 AM

Haha yep! That is for sure!
m
l
April 6, 2013 7:48:51 PM

i've been shopping\searching for the last couple months because i need couple more SATA ports and USB 3.0 ports, all my sh*t is FULL. surprisingly AsRock is the only one offering a good balance that i have found. my last 3 boards were ASRocks and was planning on going another way this time.
Extreme9, same one they're reviewing here, is about the only out there with what i need and as chrisafp07 said, it comes with a front USB 3.0 panel. so that kind of seals the deal because my 600T only has one front 3.0 that is really just an extender from the back through the case to the front.
been putting off buying it for the last few weeks but paycheck time will be upgrade time once again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2013 7:55:41 PM

Yeah that Extreme 9 is a nice board, I suggest it. I have the Fatal1ty Professional 990FX, different features, probably around the same quality. Great boards though in my opinion, I have bought ASRock for a few years.
m
l
April 11, 2013 3:39:55 AM

some experience with the Fatal1ty series? choosing between the ASRock 990FX Extreme9 and the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional. not much difference specs wise except a few more ports with the Extreme9 as far as I can tell.
so far these are the only 2 i can find with the amount of SATA3 and USB3.0 i need, plus ASRock has started throwing in that front USB3.0 panel now!
finding the Fatal1ty for cheaper prices but only $15-20 less. also i like the black\grey of the Extreme a lil more than the red\black of the Fatal1ty.
any other hardware reason one would be preferred over the other?
m
l
April 11, 2013 4:41:36 AM

wow, never mind. after searching for the last little bit i'm very surprised: tons of bad reviews about hardware trouble and burned out capacitors with the Fatal1ty board. guess chrisafp07 got one of the few good ones. Newegg has even discontinued the item.
Extreme9 seems to have higher quality build by description. all the Fatal1ty stuff is usually way over priced (like anything with "beats by dre" tag), so the fact that i'm seeing them cheap with online retailers isn't a good sign.

got my mind made up...tonights the night
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2013 3:00:09 PM

Hmm, very odd. Well happy mine is good haha, I looked at the Extreme 9 as well before buying mine. The only thing that swayed me was the color scheme, all the features looked similar, same Jap caps as well. IDK, like you said anything being promoted by a so-called celebrity is going to cost more simply for that. I personally dont even know who the hell Mr.Fatal1ty is lol. Goodluck with the extreme 9 as well.
m
l
April 11, 2013 7:28:48 PM

chrisafp07 said:
Hmm, very odd. Well happy mine is good haha, I looked at the Extreme 9 as well before buying mine. The only thing that swayed me was the color scheme, all the features looked similar, same Jap caps as well. IDK, like you said anything being promoted by a so-called celebrity is going to cost more simply for that. I personally dont even know who the hell Mr.Fatal1ty is lol. Goodluck with the extreme 9 as well.
believe he's some kind of "professional" gamer, whatever that means. you play in tournaments or something? have always seen the Fatal1ty stuff around these last years but it's always like a $100 bucks more than others for whatever the item is. had figured it was some kind of gaming technology until i started seeing the guys face on boxes and adds.
hope your Fatal1ty990 keeps holding up. i've never had an ASRock board die on me out of 4 now. can't wait for tuesday and rebuilding.
m
l
April 12, 2013 11:53:10 AM

bartholomew said:
The M5A99FX Pro R2.0 is a good board & so is the M5A99x Evo R2.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With a good cooler you should be able to go past 4.5GHz (4.5~4.8Ghz, depends on your cooler) pretty easily.
was another i had been checking out earlier but it doesnt have enough SATA3 or USB3.0 ports available.
Extreme9 990FX is on the way. thanks for the input everyone. just got to wait a few days and see if my 8320 will exceed on the new chipset.

m
l
April 17, 2013 7:38:40 PM

Extreme9 showed up today. woohoo...not. dead on arrival.
after a whole afternoon of troubleshooting, attaching, reattaching, and finally reinstalling my OG setup i wish i lived closer to their headquarters so i could light this b itch on fire and throw it through a window.
when the replacement comes this motherf'er better be somethin badass. some intuition told me i should avoid ASRock this time for some reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2013 8:07:55 PM

GObonzo said:
Extreme9 showed up today. woohoo...not. dead on arrival.
after a whole afternoon of troubleshooting, attaching, reattaching, and finally reinstalling my OG setup i wish i lived closer to their headquarters so i could light this b itch on fire and throw it through a window.
when the replacement comes this motherf'er better be somethin badass. some intuition told me i should avoid ASRock this time for some reason.

Damn well that sucks. I've never received anything doa, knock on wood. I'm assuming you have to send that back and wait until they receive it until they send you a replacement?
m
l
April 18, 2013 9:59:12 AM

free shipping label sent about 2 hours after my initial ranting at them. forget anger management, people respond more and quicker(whether good or bad) to loud aggression than nice pleas.

oh yeah, and the USB 3.0 front plate is not regular 5.25" bay size. is meant for old school floppy sized 3.5" bay. the only time i see that sized bay anymore is maybe in a prebuilt system with a card reader. so if that addon is swaying anyone's shopping preference get a 3.5-5.5" adapter.
m
l
May 2, 2013 1:49:43 PM

holy crap! 2nd ASRock Extreme9 990FX, DOA!
went through whole troubleshooting process again with each component 1 by 1. moved them to a known working AM3+ board (again, just to give ASRock the benefit of the doubt) and of course they all work fine elsewhere. i am seeing more and more of these dead 990FX boards on every retailer's site reviews and in tech support forums. what is the deal? ASRock is one of the worst but i am seeing plenty of them with every company. 1 out of every 20 or so is just bad.
forget replacement, told them i would only accept a refund or i was calling the better business bureau, customer service management, and their corporate officials. still would not offer a full refund but will allow crediting the amount back to my account with them. and sent another UPS prepaid label. now to find one i can trust, or think i can.
am thinking about going with an "open box" item because i know these are usually physically tested before sent back out into circulation. only problem there is you never know if there was a hardware problem to begin with that may resurface or if the OG purchaser was just too ignorant to order or use correctly.
have never had troubles like this twice in a row.
may even give the 990FXs a while to grow and prices to go down and just use my credit for a new keyboard or some other new toys. even Crysis 3 is running maxed out at good frames with my 8320 comfortably sitting @ 3.7GHz and MSI 7870 GHZ Edition @ 1100\1300. might just wait til something more CPU demanding comes along and I need the extra OC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2013 3:21:14 PM

Yea, you really dont need the extra overclock right now for gaming anyways if you are running games smoothly. I can't believe you got 2 DOA boards in a row, I'd be flipping out...
m
l
May 22, 2013 7:14:41 AM

finally have made the purchase and am pleased with the results.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.
first walk through the BIOS set my 8320 to 4.4ghz @ 1.4v and not a hitch in Prime95 or any game I've tried. all the USB 3.0 slots and SATA 6gbs I need. more than I was looking to spend but not too bad.
we'll see what kind of speeds I can get out of it.
m
l
May 22, 2013 7:35:53 AM

That is good to hear and is what I would have expected from your 8320 to start with. It sucks that you had to go through so many bad boards to get there though.

Now that you know it clocks you can get down to some serious tweaking. :bounce: 
m
l
!