7970 to crossfire pair with a Reference Sapphire 7970

I bought a reference Sapphire 7970 3GB when they came out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102961

and now I'd like to add a second card for crossfire. My current 7970 crashes the drivers easily when overclocking so I tend to keep everything stock, but with that in mind, what 7970 should I look to pair with my card? I know that the cards will speed up or slow down to match each other so I don't know if it pays to buy anything that blazes past my current card as it will have to match my current card. Any cards someone could point me to? I use newegg most often.
7 answers Last reply
More about 7970 crossfire pair reference sapphire 7970
  1. Just grab a second reference card.

It's pointless to grab a faster card, because, as you said, it'll just downclock itself. I'd grab something basic like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008
  2. BigMack70 said:
    Probably not a good idea to pair a newer 7970 with boost with his card. You really want the cards to have as similar a BIOS as possible.

That's a good point. Didn't even think about that.
  3. Used is an option, but you could also just flash the bios of either the card he's got or the card with boost, couldn't you?
  4. Buy the cheapest 7970 you can get and over/underclock it to match your current one
  5. please tell me wich 7970 is the best for mining bitcoins ?
  6. Sieczkovsky Hernan said:
    please tell me wich 7970 is the best for mining bitcoins ?

The cheapest 7850 you can find is the most cost effective. Also, don't just hijack an ancient thread; start one of your own, please.
  7. DarkSable said:
    Sieczkovsky Hernan said:
    please tell me wich 7970 is the best for mining bitcoins ?

The cheapest 7850 you can find is the most cost effective. Also, don't just hijack an ancient thread; start one of your own, please.

Sorry, i´m new here, many thanks, i will do!
Ask a new question

Read More

Crossfire Sapphire Graphics