Is a 7950 future proof?

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
PC components are never really that 'Future proof' as technology advances so rapidly. Saying that though, that is a very strong card and should have you set for a while. As for time estimates; I cannot give those. Who knows what the future will hold for PC components.

Very strong card, and I highly recommend it.

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yes, it is hard to define 'future proof' in the PC space - technology in general for that matter.
What you should know is that the 7950 should be good enough for BF4 (this years generation of games), and next years generation of games.
Previous iterations of graphics cards are generally a good indicator for how long a GPU will last.

For example, the 6950, which was released in 2011 and was the equivalent of what the 7950 is now, performs roughly between 7790 and a 7850. This means its performance is equivalent to the 2nd down from the 7950 in the hierarchy. i.e. mid-range.
What was the high end, the next iteration will become mid range.

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Depends on your budget at that point in time. With crossfiring, it will be cheaper and depending on your CPU, you will know it won't bottleneck the GPUs.
On the contrary, upgrading to a new graphics card in 2 years will result in a greater expense, and the CPU may not be enough. But it really depends; in two years time meaning the next 2 iterations, OR two years time as in the next iteration with the second iteration coming out later that year.