5870 3rd monitor issue

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So after some time of trying to get 3 monitors to run on my 5870, I actually got it to work. Using an active displayport adaptor.

Setup is:
DVI
DVI
ActiveDP -> DVI
Win 7 64bit home premium

Everything seemed fine until it went into screen saver.

Like usual, moving the mouse turned the screens back on, but only 2 and their resolution was all crazy.

So into the place where you setup screens and such and tried getting it to work again, I think i accidently pressed disconnect this monitor and now windows wont find it again.

Ive tried multiple things like:
1. Rebooting
2. Rebooting with only having a screen in the DP port.
3. Tested all 3 screens to see if they are working.

Im no sure what exactly happened, but it seems like I have somehow disabled the displayport on the graphics card or in windows 7.

Please help, I have waited a month for the adaptor to arrive and it worked like a charm until the screen saver went on.

Ill be monitoring the thread to answer further questions :D

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Please explain?

I've been into device manager where I could see 3 monitors before, but it only shows 2 now.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Yes, did that and tried to do it in amd catalyst center well.

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Have you tried to connect your ActiveDP monitor when you are allready in windows?

Other than that maybe it would be wise to uninstall all your drivers and video card software so you could have clean start.

It may be that dual dvi link is enabled and because of that Active Dp not working or your Adapter is dead.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Yes i tried both in and windows and before reboot.

I'll try to sweep the drivers and reinstall. Will post after I try it.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Alright uninstalled the software and went into device manager and uninstalled the driver.

Still no luck with the 3rd screen.

Is there a place where you can activate/deactive the DP on the graphics card? - Or the thing you mentioned about the dual link dvi?

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Nope its 3 x Phillips 247E3LH.

Just tested the displayport with a passive DP to HDMI and that works, as in I can get a picture through that :)

Will test the 10.5 now :)

I shall return...

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I think you are right in your conclusion that its a malfunctioning adapter. Since it worked when I first plugged it in.

10.5 made no difference - Well except that it made screen nr 2 start blinking. ;)

So the last thing could be that I somehow have set the graph card firmware to only send dual link out, which seems unlikely.

Thanks for your help thou, and I will post further if I find a fix, or if it was the adapter.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Alright so got my self a new adaptor and no luck. So I guess it's not the adaptor.

Windows or CCC simply won't detect the monitor that is connected through the active adapter.

I know it should be working, but don't know why it's not.
I've searched Google a lot but with no luck.

Any ideas as to what's going on and possible fixes would be greatly appreciated.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Checked the youtube one, but thats for running them with VGA adapters for all screens, which is not my intention :)

Still reading up on forums and such. Plus waiting for Accell to respond, since it worked initially there has to be something I'm missing.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
When you replaced the DP adapter did you get the exact same one? EyeFinity on early cards (5*** series) was EXTREMELY picky about which adapters were used. I went thru several of them myself, including an Accell (I think accell was my first one that needed a seperate USB power connection), if so and thats the type of adapter you have you should try another. My accell stopped working after a driver update and never came on again, as soon as I switched to one of the adapters that AMD endorsed as working with EyeFinity (HIS) all my problems went away.

LordKesH

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Solution:

I decided to return the active adapter and get my money back, since i found it cheaper on another website.

So ordered from the other website the other day, and it just arrived today.

Still hadn't sent the old one back and i noticed a difference.

As you can see on the picture there is a White and Blue sticker on it saying Accell, but the ones i had previously had didnt. They just had Accell printet onto the adapter.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ggXhsz1FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That made me wonder, so i thought, alright either i got a new version or something, and so i checked the little sticker on the side.

The first 2 ones i had said:
Rec.A4-3.0
F/W: 0X95 1310

Where as the new one recieved said:
Rec.A4-3.0
F/W: 0X95 1232

So aha it was an older version.

So unpowered the screen that was to run on that.
Plugged in the adapter (There my 2 other screens reactet)
Hooked up the HDMI cable + hdmi->dvi adapter to the active adapter. (Screens reacted again)
And woila powered up the screen and now im running 3 screens on the 5870 :D

So im guessing that their new firmware isn't to good.

It worked for me, so hope somebody else can get a benefit of this