Sign in with
Your question
Solved

fx 6300 a worthy upgrade from phenom ii 965 for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2013 1:58:21 PM

I finally upgraded my motherboard to am3+
Just curious about the performance gain i will get from a fx 6300 then what i have currently.

I'm also buying the amd hd 7870 tahi edition.

So any info would be much appreciated. I do already have a hyper 212 evo cpu hsf. So overclocking is an option.

Just please don't recommend me going to fx 8320 or 8350 if i have the money i will purchase one of them instead. I'm going to school right now so money kinda tight.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:04:50 PM

Here are some benchmarks between he two. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=699, i don't believe the improvement would really be worth spending 130 dollars to get. But the importance of that improvement really is in the eye of the beholder. I would keep saving and go for something better shoot for the 8350, that would be a worth upgrade.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 123 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:07:11 PM

That's a tough call. What is your old motherboard, and what is the new one? It is possible that you will see better performance just from that, if for example the older motherboard was limited to 2000MT/s and the new one does 5200MT/s. How much RAM do you have?
One of my systems is an AMD 970BE, which is essentially the same speed as your 965BE; so far I have not felt the urge to upgrade it, but I might when Steamroller gets here.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 101 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:15:42 PM

AMD did the Phenom's right and nothing else since. lol. I have an X6 1075T and looking at those benches, it is almost even with the 8350 and mine is a few years old and the 1075T is even a bit even compared to the 3570K.

m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:18:16 PM

Yes. Benchmarks show that the FX 6300 is a slight improvement over the Phenom II x6. Especially if you OC! You'll love it. The FX 6300 is such an under rated CPU. Even the FX 8320 is a fantastic CPU. If you live by microcenter, go pick your self up a FX 8320, Microcenter sells it for $140. But if you can't afford that, the FX 6300 is still a great buy.

I convinced my friend to buy one, and he's on cloud 9. He's not a high end user, but he needed an upgrade from a Phenom II x4. Also, the HD 7870 LE is a great card! I'm buying one myself later this month!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 210 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:32:17 PM

Yes, the FX6300 is a worthy gamer...you'd be happy with that, if you can swing an 8 core, that's even better, if not, the 6300 is still a great CPU and will do what you need it to. It will also OC well, which will help you get the most performance out of it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 687 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:36:44 PM

As much as I am impressed with the FX 6300, I say overclock your 965 and wait for steamroller.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:40:20 PM

logainofhades said:
As much as I am impressed with the FX 6300, I say overclock your 965 and wait for steamroller.

This is exactly how i feel. right now personally i dont think the upgrade would be worth the money spent.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:47:35 PM

logainofhades said:

I also have to agree with this. But if he feels the need to upgrade, who's to stop him? The difference in performance is there. I know you're not trying to stop him, I just feel that if he feels bottlenecked, the FX 6300 will help him feel less constricted. And by the time he feels the need to upgrade again, the prices will be down.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 123 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 2:48:05 PM

You have the 965BE now; use it and see how it is before upgrading. At least three of us think the upgrade, while visible, won't be worth the money, at least not yet.
m
l
April 2, 2013 3:21:58 PM

First off i want to thank everyone for the quick replies its very much appreciated. Since i'm getting the new gpu I wasn't sure how the phenom ii would hold up. So I've been looking at the fx 6300 since it has higher overclock headroom i can push it more. I also like recording games play and i figured the extra cores could keep my games running smoothly during recording. I'm also a huge bf3 fan so when I play in 64 player matches my cpu runs around 90%+ load. I been planning on getting a fairly cheap cpu to hold me over until steamroller since by the time steamroller releases i will be out of school and have more money in my pockets.

Here my system specs as of right now.
cpu: phenom ii 965 oc 3.7ghz
ram: adata ddr3 4gb.
gpu: powercolor hd 6850
case:nzxt gaurdian rb
psu: rosewill 620 green series

Just another quick question will the extra 2 cores make a difference in recording games?
Also i'm going to get bf4 and have no idea if the game is going to be way more cpu intensive or not.
m
l
April 2, 2013 3:30:15 PM

griptwister said:
logainofhades said:

I also have to agree with this. But if he feels the need to upgrade, who's to stop him? The difference in performance is there. I know you're not trying to stop him, I just feel that if he feels bottlenecked, the FX 6300 will help him feel less constricted. And by the time he feels the need to upgrade again, the prices will be down.

Reason why I'm looking for an upgrade is wanted to get a cpu that will last me until i finished school. I didn't know if the fx 6300 would be able to hold me over any longer then my phenom ii will. I just got my income tax back and figure i should upgrade while i can. It will be awhile until i'll be able to fork out the money again. My major concern with my cpu now is I don't know how it will handle 64 player maps in bf4. I know battlefield is able to use up to 8 cores. Plus i like recording game footage. I love my phenom ii but it's age is starting to show. Just hoping the 2 extra cores and higher overclockablitliy will keep playing games for the next 1.5 years.
m
l
April 2, 2013 3:37:24 PM

Onus said:
That's a tough call. What is your old motherboard, and what is the new one? It is possible that you will see better performance just from that, if for example the older motherboard was limited to 2000MT/s and the new one does 5200MT/s. How much RAM do you have?
One of my systems is an AMD 970BE, which is essentially the same speed as your 965BE; so far I have not felt the urge to upgrade it, but I might when Steamroller gets here.

My old board was an asrock a770de+ it was like 2200mt/s or something like that. It was complete crap and died on me. I never will buy from asrock again my board was under warranty and i had sent them 5 emails and they ignore each one. My board was discontinued but it was still under warranty.

Right now i have a biostar ta970fxe am3+ I believe its 5200mt/s I'm not 100% on that though.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 687 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 3:49:58 PM

With Asrock, you have to avoid their really low end boards. Their mid to high range is nice. I am on my second one and my first one is still running strong in my file server. Their customer support was good for me as well. Was having a ram speed issue that just turned out to be incompatible memory issue. They were very helpful overall.

Given that you want to record video and game, and if this has to last through school, getting the FX 6300 does make good sense.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 4:03:39 PM

Honestly, Your money is best spent on a FX 8320. Check and see if you live near a Microcenter. Those extra 2 cores will come in handy.
m
l
a c 272 4 Gaming
a c 851 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 4:22:53 PM

Hardly worth the effort or money unless going all the way to FX83xx.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 210 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 4:23:36 PM

griptwister said:
Honestly, Your money is best spent on a FX 8320. Check and see if you live near a Microcenter. Those extra 2 cores will come in handy.

If you can stand to wait a bit, in June, a slightly tweaked version of the FX6300 is coming, the FX6350...it will have higher stock clock speed, a well higher turbo core speed, and will be slightly revised.

When that chip hits, the FX6300 will drop in price and the FX6350 will be in the same price range the FX6300 is now...so if you can wait 2 months, the FX6300/6350 may be an even better choice at that point.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2013 4:29:51 PM

Hopefully 8350rocks is right on that one... We could use better prices. A FX 8320 is probably your best budget option right now. But for now, just invest in the better GPU.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 123 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 4:39:09 PM

With only 4GB of RAM, definitely get more, regardless of whether or not you go for a CPU upgrade. Playing and recording at the same time may use more cores, but it also uses more RAM.
I think you should test with the 965BE and see how it does before you upgrade. It costs you nothing to get this additional data point that will help you with your decision. Do get the additional RAM though, that will help regardless.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 à CPUs
April 2, 2013 6:08:53 PM

no not worth the upgrade. just overclock your 965. Wait for prices of the 83xx to drop or preferably wait for the next gen amd cpu's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 7:16:58 AM

I wouldn't do it. You would actually LOSE a core and just gain amds version of hyperthreading. Yeah so i would stick with what you have unless you wanted to get one of the "8 core" (really 4 cores 8 threads) fx processors. Maybe next generation amd will come out with great CPUs :-)
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 1:13:35 PM

*facepalm* AMD still uses 8 cores, but it's 2 cores in each module, which means that they're shared cores. Nothing like hyper threading.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 2:57:58 PM

yeah each module has two cores but they share resources. I said it was like hyperthreading before doing all my research. still not 8 full cores though. thank you for correcting me
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2013 8:19:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies but isn't steamroller not coming out til next year? So it looks like my best option is going for an 8 core or stick with the cpu i have. I do have my phenom ii over clock to 3.7ghz right now. I only overclock my cpu as much as i need to, I don't go for the max cause i will have to put my voltage to 1.475 to get 4ghz stable. So i will try to get an fx 8320 or i will just stick with the phenom ii. Really hoping steamroller is going to be great. Really want AMD to get back into the highend cpu market again.
April 4, 2013 8:22:46 PM

griptwister said:

Man i wish i did those prices are amazing but i live in Florida there aren't any micro centers here sadly.
m
l
April 4, 2013 9:09:35 PM

At newegg.com you can get a 8320 for $175 or a 8350 for $200 . Either one will overclock to within 100mhz or so of each other.. Just use a good cooler...
m
l
!