Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

windows 7 won't boot wit memory upgrade

Last response: in Memory
Share
April 2, 2013 4:09:48 PM

Hi so I recently purchased some new ram I went from corsair 2gb 1333mhz x2 to Kingston 4gb 1333mhz hyperx x2. I have a gigabyte mother board GA-P55M-UD2 with windows 7 64 bit. When I removed the corsair and put in the Kingston windows will not boot I tried resetting the cmos already to no avail. I know the motherboard will hold up to 16gb so I don't know what the problem is any help is appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
April 2, 2013 4:30:21 PM

First try removing and reseating your ram.
If that fails, remove your ram and try it in a stick at a time.
Failing that, try your old ram back in just in case your new ram is dead.
Let us know how you get on.
m
0
l
April 2, 2013 4:47:51 PM

pauls3743 said:
First try removing and reseating your ram.
If that fails, remove your ram and try it in a stick at a time.
Failing that, try your old ram back in just in case your new ram is dead.
Let us know how you get on.


Tried the one stick at a time and with both sticks ended up getting the blue screen that said a problem has been detected and windows has shut down. Put in old ram and booted up no problem
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
April 2, 2013 5:07:11 PM

One last thing to try, check the new ram to see what voltage it operates at. A lot of the higher performing ram operates at 1.6-165V but the motherboard sometimes need intervention to do this.
If you feel you can do this, boot the computer with the old ram, enter the bios and set the ram voltage to 1.6V (technically it's an overclock setting), save the config and swtitch off the pc. Swap the ram out for the new stuff and boot the computer.
m
0
l
April 2, 2013 5:14:33 PM

pauls3743 said:
One last thing to try, check the new ram to see what voltage it operates at. A lot of the higher performing ram operates at 1.6-165V but the motherboard sometimes need intervention to do this.
If you feel you can do this, boot the computer with the old ram, enter the bios and set the ram voltage to 1.6V (technically it's an overclock setting), save the config and swtitch off the pc. Swap the ram out for the new stuff and boot the computer.


Both sets of rams run at 1.5V checked them both in the CMOS setup utility and the Kingston has it displayed on the ram itself.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
April 2, 2013 5:17:21 PM

Sadly you're sending the ram back to your supplier. It happens, I've had it happen to me and not just with ram.
Share
April 2, 2013 5:21:41 PM

pauls3743 said:
Sadly you're sending the ram back to your supplier. It happens, I've had it happen to me and not just with ram.


That sucks but it's something that happens. Thank you so much for all the help though!
m
0
l
!