$1500 gaming build?

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I am receiving a decent sum of money and I have decided to use some of it on getting a new computer. The reason I am looking to build a new a computer is because I am currently gaming on an athlon x2 255, hd 7750, 8gb ddr3, and a meager 220w psu (slimline). As you may have guessed gaming with this computer is a massive headache when it comes to CPU intensive titles (or titles that actually need an ok CPU in general) a.k.a. BF3, Crysis 3, etc..... stutters and freeze ups and low frames everywhere.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-3 weeks

Budget Range: $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: BF4, Gaming, BF4, Normal stuff, and did i mention BF4?

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.... Win 8

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, NCIX, Amazon.

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080p

Additional Comments: this is what I have came up with myself

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/O4bk

I personally do not have a preference on what brands to get.

If you all haven't realized this yet, I plan to get BF4 and I am excited. I frequently talk on skype when playing BF3 currently on my rig and alt tab out a lot and do a lot browsing during my games, and as you can tell from my current rig above it is a pain and almost impossible to do this with my CPU usage @ 100%, which is why i need to be able to multitask heavily, that is why I chose the FX 8350.

I Have zero experience with overclocking but i would like to learn, so if I happen to choose a motherboard that has potential issues in overclocking please correct me.

With BF4 apparently being sponsored by AMD this time around, would it be smart to get a 7970? I may Xfire down the road or SLI when the cards are cheaper but as of right now I wouldn't

I chose my Case, KB, and Mouse because I like the color green..... a lot. Also from what I have heard this case isn't actually a bad case, so I would like to use it.

Now about the keyboard and mouse.... people say Razer products aren't worth it, is this true? The keyboard is Green backlit (major+ IMO) and it is blue switch mechanical is this a good keyboard to match my color scheme or is there any other suggestions?

and mouse has green lights 6400 dpi which is insane IMO. Any other good mice?

What do you all think about this build? What would you exchange anything for? Any upfront problems? Later down the road? Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Sorry about the lengthy comments I am just nervous about it and I don't want to waste my money when It could have been spent better in a different section.

Please note, the i7-3770k is only $299.99, PICK UP ONLY. So if he doesn't live near a microcenter, he'll have to pay the full $300.
The FX-8350 can keep up with intel. It's is a really good, all round processor at a really cheap price considering its features.

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Actually the closest Microcenter to me is a state away and therefor isn't possible for me to get an i7 @ $220. I wish I lived near one though otherwise I would hop right on it.

I honestly don't think i7 is worth it if i'm only gaming since you get a meager increase in FPS. I guess now for me its i5 3570k vs FX 8350. From a value perspective the AMD has really good price/performance because its only behind by a couple FPS except in Heavy threaded games like BF3 (which the AMD wins) which I expect BF4 to be the same, but on the other hand the i5 has higher minimums which equals smoother gameplay. I honestly don't know anymore. This CPU war recently has confused the crap out of me, I don't really know what to think anymore.

About my PSU.... I chose this PSU to leave Xfire an option 2 years down the road

I can't seem to really find the cooler you are talking about...

Ok I switched to the 840 pro

The thermaltake cpu cooler isn't in those popular places like newegg, amazon, ncix, etc. You have to search for it.
The FX-8350 vs i5-3570k argument is still going on. There's really no solid "winner." Both are still a very good choice
i5-3570k for a more expensive, smoother gameplay.
FX-8350 for a cheaper solution which will work really well too.

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I figured since I couldn't find the cooler anywhere that it isn't on popular sites. I'm leaning towards the fx 8350 for multitasking. I have seen people say over and over that when they plan games like BF3 that the CPU usage spikes all the way up to as much as 85% which from my knowledge is pretty high for CPU usage. Whenever my CPU gets up to that range it really starts slowing down my desktop performance, like browsing and watching youtube videos while games are up etc..... especially watching Youtube in the Steam overlay.... Wrecks my CPU 100% usage every time. Wouldn't I want to the keep the CPU usage percentage as low as possible at all times?

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

really.... Keep fanboyism out of it.

I don't have the budget for an i7 so it is completely out of the question. I am choosing from the i5 and the FX 8350 so stick with that. Everyone knows they game the same.