FX-8350 drops multiplier to 7.0

Frank Villasenor

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I've recently built a computer. I used an FX-8350 and an ASRock 990FX Extreme3 motherboard. I now have a Cooler Master 212 EVO on the chip.

Working fine. Passes tests with Prime95 and mem tests.

Ever since building the computer, when putting it under load I notice that the CPU will drop the multipler to 7.0 periodically. I originally used the stock cooler and would notice this behavior when the CPU hit about 60c. This lead me to buy the 212 EVO. My temps drastically dropped but I still see the behavior even though we never get close to 60c.

I've been using Core Temp to track my temps. I recently added CPUID Hardware Monitor and am getting consistant temp readings.

To illustrate the problem, I put together a youtube video. Use the hot links to jump to relevant sections: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fotFPaLlNc

I thought I had the issue resolved but I'm seeing the issue again.

My temps (and these are at stock clock):

Idle: 21c (just about room temp)
Load: 40c-41c (prime95).

I feel I can confidently rule out overheating because the multiplier is dropping regardless of temp. I see no (or very little) correlation to the temp and the behavior. It actually more like it's a load duration issue...

I've turned off the cool-n-quiet as well as a few other motherboard settings. Not sure what else might be relevant but if you feel it is, I'll report the status...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Solution
If Cool and Quiet, C1E and all of the other power saving features are indeed turned off, the one thing that could cause you issue is indeed throttling due to high temperatures. It may be the VRM section overheating as only the Extreme4 and above have more than 4+1 phase count. You could try placing a spot fan over the power section of the motherboard to keep temps down but the only real fix for that type of problem is getting a motherboard with a more robust power section.

cmi86

Distinguished
It's not unusual for FX chips to occasionally drop their multiplier under load. All these power/temp managment things like cool&quiet and C1E really mess with the chips at times. I'd just go into the BIOS and turn all that junk off and it should run fine.

Frank Villasenor

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

I did turn off C1E and cool&Quiet. Any other options that come to your mind?

Thanks for your feedback.

Frank Villasenor

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Still haven't solved this. Still open to thoughts here...

It's possible that some chipset is over heating therefore, causing the throttling but this is just my theory.

Temps seem file until I checked temps on OCCT reported higher temps than any other tool. Got me thinking that maybe there are more temps to factor in than just the core temps...

logang

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
If Cool and Quiet, C1E and all of the other power saving features are indeed turned off, the one thing that could cause you issue is indeed throttling due to high temperatures. It may be the VRM section overheating as only the Extreme4 and above have more than 4+1 phase count. You could try placing a spot fan over the power section of the motherboard to keep temps down but the only real fix for that type of problem is getting a motherboard with a more robust power section.

Solution

Toxicone

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
For everyone that has the same issue today and end up on this site looking for answer, Logang has the best solution and he is right, cpu and cooling isnt the problem here, its the motheboard, 4+1 phase count isnt enough for fx-8350 that cpu is power hungry and if you use your cpu on 100% like in prime95 you can test this yourself, open your pc and start your test and when it starts throtling touch the heatsing under the cpu, it will be hot as hell itself, so motherboard will throtle multiplyer to protect it self from burning out... So everyone with this setup (including me) made a wrong mbo + cpu combo, and the only solution is to change motherboard, i suggest gigabyte ud3 one because it has big power delivery to cpu and doesnt overheat...

fivefootwall

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Not to revive and old thread, but thought polite to post a fix.

I was having same issue (6 cores dropping multiplier to 7) with my Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3P mobo. As reported above and elsewhere, there was no obvious temperature issue (temp margin = 39 deg C). The condition was triggered after attempting an overclock upping the multiplier to a mere 21 (4200 gHz). The cpu/mobo would not stop doing this.

How I fixed it: I went back to stock in bios, and started turning everything to DISABLED that I thought I didn't need or want. The problem went away.