Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Eyefinity / Crossfire / VGA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 2, 2013 7:47:02 PM

I was wondering, first, I'm looking at getting 2 GIGABYTE HD 7950s and running 3 VGA monitors (2-1600x900 and 1-1920x1080) with them, so my question is, are the 2 cards needed? Also can I use adapters to use all the Eyefinity monitors with VGA? The reason I ask is that I already have a 1080p T.V. (it works great as a monitor) and a 1600x900 monitor, so all I would have to do is buy another 1600x900 monitor.

Thanks.
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2013 7:58:26 PM

Eyefinity is surround gaming. You can't use it with different resolutions for one, so your 1920x1080 monitor would have to run at 1600x900 and look off not running native. You also need all 3 screens to be the same physical size or else things don't line up when you go from 1 screen to the next. Lastly, you want 3 identical, very thin to no bezel screens so when they are together there isn't a seam in there. You wanting to play on a TV in the middle with 2 on the sides won't work. Well, it would work, but would unplayable. Imagine your TV is 32" say for example and the monitors are 21". So when someones head it at the top of the 32" screen and they turn left, all of a sudden, it's at the top of the 21" monitor and 11" down from his head was a second ago.

Now if you want 3 screen, to game on 1, and have the other two running, yes, you can mix and match any 3 screens you want and game on 1.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2013 8:01:13 PM

No, you absolutely do not need two cards.

The 7950 is enough to play games at 1080p, and the second monitor, if it's not being gamed on, won't affect things at all.

If you plan on going eyefinity, just remember that at least one monitor has to be hooked up to an active display port converter.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2013 8:01:58 PM

getochkn said:
Eyefinity is surround gaming. You can't use it with different resolutions for one, so your 1920x1080 monitor would have to run at 1600x900 and look off not running native. You also need all 3 screens to be the same physical size or else things don't line up when you go from 1 screen to the next. Lastly, you want 3 identical, very thin to no bezel screens so when they are together there isn't a seam in there. You wanting to play on a TV in the middle with 2 on the sides won't work. Well, it would work, but would unplayable. Imagine your TV is 32" say for example and the monitors are 21". So when someones head it at the top of the 32" screen and they turn left, all of a sudden, it's at the top of the 21" monitor and 11" down from his head was a second ago.


Right, totally blanked that you want them to all be the same. XP

Brain fart.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
April 3, 2013 11:51:19 AM

Well, if you want to go with it, you can do that, yes...

Just seems kinda strange. :p 
Share
April 3, 2013 4:48:02 PM

DarkSable said:
Well, if you want to go with it, you can do that, yes...

Just seems kinda strange. :p 


Okay, thanks again, since the monitor I have I can get for £50 I think I might get 2 more and use my T.V. just for freeview and xbox.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2013 5:18:50 PM

Last time I type out big long detailed answers when "you can do it" gets best answer. lol.

If you can get the monitors cheap, get 3 matching ones. Does much better for the gaming and they'll be more consistent color wise, etc.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2013 5:22:22 PM

getochkn said:
Last time I type out big long detailed answers when "you can do it" gets best answer. lol.

If you can get the monitors cheap, get 3 matching ones. Does much better for the gaming and they'll be more consistent color wise, etc.


People hear what they want to hear. They see what they want to see.
Well, most people that is.

m
0
l
April 3, 2013 5:39:33 PM

getochkn said:
Last time I type out big long detailed answers when "you can do it" gets best answer. lol.

If you can get the monitors cheap, get 3 matching ones. Does much better for the gaming and they'll be more consistent color wise, etc.


They were both good answers but he answered all of my questions not just half of one =P
m
0
l
!