Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BitFenix Prodigy Gaming Rig - need help with some things

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 3, 2013 2:08:53 AM

Saw the Prodigy and just fell in love with it. So much that I threw away my plans for future Crossfire-ing (which I think isn't bad since I'm only planning to play on a single 1080p screen with maxed settings). So here's what I came up with:

CPU: i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 520w
Memo: Vengeance 1600mhz 4GB x 2
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X 3GB
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 7200rpm 1TB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Black (as I'm planning to install a 200/230mm fan in front)

As I said above, I'm planning to just play with one 1080p monitor with maxed out settings and some light overclocking (up to maybe 4.1ghz with the 3570k). So with that here are my worries:

1. Will the 212 Evo fit?
2. Is the motherboard ok? I'm looking originally at the Extreme4-M but says there it has 2 PCI 3.0 ports and I don't need the 2nd one.
3. Is the PSU enough? Given the fact that I am planning to lightly overclock the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance guys!
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 2:44:33 AM

I am not sure on the CPU cooler but do note that not all PSU will even fit in that case and Modular are more problematic than none modular one's. The only way to even get them to work at all is to plug in all of the cables you will need before you even insert the PSU into the case and even then I can't say the one you picked will fit. There is very little room for the PSU in that case or anything else for that matter. But then I have no use for any case that is less than a Full Tower myself.

If I remember from the review I read the motherboard mounts to the bottom of of the case so the CPU cooler should fit but I do not know for sure on that. If you google you should find some reviews that can clear it up for you though.
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 2:47:46 AM

bryonhowley said:
I am not sure on the CPU cooler but do note that not all PSU will even fit in that case and Modular are more problematic than none modular one's. The only way to even get them to work at all is to plug in all of the cables you will need before you even insert the PSU into the case and even then I can't say the one you picked will fit. There is very little room for the PSU in that case or anything else for that matter. But then I have no use for any case that is less than a Full Tower myself.


Yeah I'm actually watching a cpu building on the Prodigy video right now and they're having problems with the PSU. They said that the PSU bay in the case is 180mm long (around 8 inches). Went to the Seasonic website and the PSU i picked is around 7 inches. Do you know any good PSU's with the same wattage that's smaller?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 7:00:00 AM

Consider getting an S12ii. Its the same, except not modular. The problem with modular is that he plugs themselves stick out a little, which can create issues since the space is limited, you won't have this problem with the S12ii though, so you'll have easily an inch or so of space and it will fit without issue. Having said that, according to the Bitfenix Prodigy owners club on Over clock, the M12ii will fit, I would be a bit wary though as it is supposedly quite a tight fit, and I wouldn't want to damage any of the cables.

I can't speak for the 212, but personally I think the Noctua U9B is the highest quality and best cooler for mITX builds. It comes with dual fans for a push/pull config which is nice, its super quiet as ever and I can promise you it fits since a friend of mine is using one in his LAN build currently.

Edit: make sure you get low profile RAM though (as a general rule, not just for the Noctua) as most decent coolers overhang one or two RAM slots, and the heatsinks on Corsair Vengeance are obnoxiously high.

M
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 7:08:41 AM

^I would agree on the PSU get the S12ii a none modular would be better. The only problem I can see would be the unused cables that would need to have room in the case. There is a wall right behind the PSU and as you noted from the video it is very small. There was one video I watched were they used a modular PSU and it fit fine I just can't remember were I seen it or what PSU they were using. I will try to find it again.

I do remember they were using a modular PSU because of the limited space less cables to worry about because you would only have the cables you need to power what hardware you have and no more. I will try to find it again.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 10:39:47 AM

Silverstone Strider Plus are the way to go if you want a nice, short and modular power supply. This one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is 5.5 inches long (vs the 7 or so of the M12ii) and so should have no issues fitting within the 8 inches of the Bitfenix Prodigy. It also has plenty of power for overclocking both the GPU and the CPU. This one is a slight upgrade in both efficiency and rated wattage, so it's up to you whether this justifies the price increase to you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (again only 5.5 inches long). Personally I think the second supply is worth the extra $15 or so after rebate, for the slightly better efficiency and overclocking head room (though both are plenty powerful enough for overclocking with).

EDIT (this is important please read): I didn't notice this before, and I feel a fool for not doing so. Your motherboard doesn't fit your case. The Bitfenix Prodigy requires mITX motherboards, not mATX like the two you have linked (I realised this when you said the bit about 2 PCI-E slots, since mITX can have at most one expansion slot). You'll need to go with something like the ASRock Z77E-ITX in order for everything to fit into your case (trust me this is desirable): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Again try and find some low profile RAM, as the slots are really close to the CPU socket (and hence the CPU cooler).

All the best,

M
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 10:49:43 AM

Jiggeroo said:
Saw the Prodigy and just fell in love with it. So much that I threw away my plans for future Crossfire-ing (which I think isn't bad since I'm only planning to play on a single 1080p screen with maxed settings). So here's what I came up with:

CPU: i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 520w
Memo: Vengeance 1600mhz 4GB x 2
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X 3GB
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 7200rpm 1TB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Black (as I'm planning to install a 200/230mm fan in front)

As I said above, I'm planning to just play with one 1080p monitor with maxed out settings and some light overclocking (up to maybe 4.1ghz with the 3570k). So with that here are my worries:

1. Will the 212 Evo fit?
2. Is the motherboard ok? I'm looking originally at the Extreme4-M but says there it has 2 PCI 3.0 ports and I don't need the 2nd one.
3. Is the PSU enough? Given the fact that I am planning to lightly overclock the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance guys!


Pretty sure the Prodigy only fits mITX, so you'd need an ASRock Z77E-ITX. You can fit just about any PSU or GPU in that case. It's very modular and versatile. You just have to remove the drive cage. There's a ton of clearance since the motherboard sits horizontally. The Evo 212 should fit easily.

I have looked into this case a lot. I have thought about going mITX with my next build, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the potential to SLI for future proofing.
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 11:20:51 AM

marshallbradley said:
Consider getting an S12ii. Its the same, except not modular. The problem with modular is that he plugs themselves stick out a little, which can create issues since the space is limited, you won't have this problem with the S12ii though, so you'll have easily an inch or so of space and it will fit without issue. Having said that, according to the Bitfenix Prodigy owners club on Over clock, the M12ii will fit, I would be a bit wary though as it is supposedly quite a tight fit, and I wouldn't want to damage any of the cables.

I can't speak for the 212, but personally I think the Noctua U9B is the highest quality and best cooler for mITX builds. It comes with dual fans for a push/pull config which is nice, its super quiet as ever and I can promise you it fits since a friend of mine is using one in his LAN build currently.

Edit: make sure you get low profile RAM though (as a general rule, not just for the Noctua) as most decent coolers overhang one or two RAM slots, and the heatsinks on Corsair Vengeance are obnoxiously high.

M


Yup they said it's advisable to go modular on the the Prodigy. What do you think about the Corsair CX series? I checked the website and they're only 140mm deep. They'd fit the case better.

I see.. can you recommend something with low heatsinks?
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 11:23:37 AM

marshallbradley said:
Silverstone Strider Plus are the way to go if you want a nice, short and modular power supply. This one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is 5.5 inches long (vs the 7 or so of the M12ii) and so should have no issues fitting within the 8 inches of the Bitfenix Prodigy. It also has plenty of power for overclocking both the GPU and the CPU. This one is a slight upgrade in both efficiency and rated wattage, so it's up to you whether this justifies the price increase to you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (again only 5.5 inches long). Personally I think the second supply is worth the extra $15 or so after rebate, for the slightly better efficiency and overclocking head room (though both are plenty powerful enough for overclocking with).

EDIT (this is important please read): I didn't notice this before, and I feel a fool for not doing so. Your motherboard doesn't fit your case. The Bitfenix Prodigy requires mITX motherboards, not mATX like the two you have linked (I realised this when you said the bit about 2 PCI-E slots, since mITX can have at most one expansion slot). You'll need to go with something like the ASRock Z77E-ITX in order for everything to fit into your case (trust me this is desirable): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Again try and find some low profile RAM, as the slots are really close to the CPU socket (and hence the CPU cooler).

All the best,

M


Problem with the Silverstone Strider is it's quite hard to find here in Singapore. I checked the Corsair website and saw that their CX series are only 140mm deep (same as the strider), do you think there are good PSUs?

THANK YOU for pointing that out. I thought that the "-M" represents miniITX. I feel stupid. LOL

Also do you know of a good low profile 1600mhz RAM?
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 11:25:46 AM

jesot said:
Jiggeroo said:
Saw the Prodigy and just fell in love with it. So much that I threw away my plans for future Crossfire-ing (which I think isn't bad since I'm only planning to play on a single 1080p screen with maxed settings). So here's what I came up with:

CPU: i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 520w
Memo: Vengeance 1600mhz 4GB x 2
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X 3GB
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 7200rpm 1TB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Black (as I'm planning to install a 200/230mm fan in front)

As I said above, I'm planning to just play with one 1080p monitor with maxed out settings and some light overclocking (up to maybe 4.1ghz with the 3570k). So with that here are my worries:

1. Will the 212 Evo fit?
2. Is the motherboard ok? I'm looking originally at the Extreme4-M but says there it has 2 PCI 3.0 ports and I don't need the 2nd one.
3. Is the PSU enough? Given the fact that I am planning to lightly overclock the CPU and GPU.

Thanks in advance guys!


Pretty sure the Prodigy only fits mITX, so you'd need an ASRock Z77E-ITX. You can fit just about any PSU or GPU in that case. It's very modular and versatile. You just have to remove the drive cage. There's a ton of clearance since the motherboard sits horizontally. The Evo 212 should fit easily.

I have looked into this case a lot. I have thought about going mITX with my next build, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the potential to SLI for future proofing.


Thank you for the tip, I'll go with the mobo you suggested as the ASUS mITX board is loads more expensive.

I really thought hard about foregoing SLI or Xfire, but when you think about it, when the time comes that the 7970 can't even play games on medium settings, i think thats also the time you should upgrade.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 11:35:35 AM

CX is fine, though not at all modular (even the CX M is only very slightly modular). It should be alright though, as long as you're not super bothered about the system being a little messy on the inside. They are solid units in terms of reliability, and usually at a very good price. If you don't want to go modular though, up to 160mm is fine, since there are no plugs which stick out and increase the length. A SeaSonic S12ii for example would be of slightly higher quality than a CX unit.

Corsair Vengeance LP are exactly the same as the modules you chose, just with much more compatible heatsinks: http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...

All the best,

M
m
0
l
April 3, 2013 11:59:12 AM

I don't think you need low profile anything with that case.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2013 5:31:41 PM

It's not that you really need it with the case, it's just I think it's better to have overall since you know it will be compatible with the heatsink you use. .For example my Patriot Viper 3 (which is shorter than the standard Vengeance) wasn't fully compatible with the Noctua U9B so I had to go for a sub par orientation. Having low profile RAM ensures you're less likely to run into issues like this.

M
m
0
l
!