7750 problem in Farcry 3 maybe?

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
So I have a small problem and honestly, I don't even know if its a problem with my card or not. So before I tell the problem I will list my Specs

AMD athlon x2 255 at its stock 3.1ghz tdp is 60w
8gb ddr3 1066mhz
powercolor 7750 low profile @ stock (very low power card 55w tdp )
1tb hitachi hdd 7200rpm
win7 home 64 bit
220w 80+ bronze PSU (slimeline and I don't know the name but it has 1 12v rail @16a which is fantastic for the capacity)

I have been running this system for 6 months now on this PSU and no problems yet because the GPU only pulls like 55w at worst case scenario @ 100% load which I have pushed it to test my PSU's potential.

Well here is the problem. I recently started playing Farcry 3 and I run it on like low - med settings @ 1080p on DX11. Naturally at more recent titles like this I am heavily CPU bottlenecked. Well I play for a little while and every now and then my screen will flash a white checkerboard pattern in very small portions of my screen once just fast enough to catch my eye and just slow enough to see it. Usually after a small cutscene most frequently. To give an average timeframe of when it does this, is probably every 45 mins to an hour. It doesn't freak out and spasm artifacts everywhere or anything but just a single spot somewhere on my monitor of an extremely fast flash of a checkerboard or something similar (It flashes just too fast to be able to exactly explain it though). Now I know GPUs can artifact but from what I have seen artifacts are triangular shapes or are green/purple/yellow or multiple color strips. (for reference I have overclocked a card of mine in the past way too high to actually experience artifacts) and It doesn't look like artifacts from my experiences. Now my first thought was "is my card overheating?" So i checked the temp using afterburner and its only @77 C which is safe knowing its in a slimline. I figured overheating is out of the question so I thought maybe lack of power? So I look at my GPU usage with afterburner and its only working at 75% and my CPU is at 90% which isn't even full power of what it can pull.

So naturally confused I test other games by throwing up Bioshock infinite on Max settings on 1080p which downright demolishes my FPS getting only a meager 17 fps in the menus and I play the game and oh was it struggling so hard to get 20 fps while majority of the time in the teens. During this awful stress test I put it on I check my temps, they are at 82 C which is hot but still safe, and my GPU usage is at 99% the entire time just maxing it out. CPU usage is at 80% also and not a single time do I see an artifact at all stressing it out harder than what it was during farcry 3. It was pulling more power yet no artifacts. So downright baffled I load up prime 95, and furmark at the same time. everything maxed out CPU 100%, GPU 100%, Temps @ cpu = 55C , GPU = 84C. I let this test run for 15 mins. Not a single time during that test do I see artifacts or any funny stuff happening on screen.

Thinking to myself maybe that its only Farcry 3. I let my system cool down for 30 mins. I load up Farcry 3 again, I'm playing it for about 10 mins, I hit a cutscene, and surprisingly enough upon exiting it, It happened again. I honestly don't know if its just this game, or if its a driver issue, or what. But from what I have seen it doesn't affect other games I play, BF3, Crysis, Bioshock infinite, Metro 2033, etc.....

Now what is everyone else's take on this? Keep in mind nothing is overclocked.
Has anyone else experienced weird issues like this in Farcry 3?

matt grafton

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I may have had a similar thing happen to me but I honestly didn't think anything of it. Sounds like an issue with the game and the hardware ( I also have an AMD GPU). I used to get some weird graphics glitches from time to time in Skyrim but one of the driver updates fixed the issue.

mohit9206

Distinguished
update to the latest driver 13.1 whql and see if the problem goes away. btw 7750 is not meant for 1080p gaming. you should get a 7850 but then your old cpu will be the bottleneck or just lower your resolution while gaming

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
So I guess I will try to update my drivers to the latest ones, and about the 7750, I got this just because its the strongest card I could get for my 220w PSU. If I wouldn't have been limited by space and PSU, I would have definitely got something like that. Already the 7750 is a pretty big bottleneck when i play BF3. I haven't really had a problem gaming @1080p, just with the newer more demanding titles I turn down the settings and it works fine. You would be surprised how powerful it is for being a low profile card. When I play Far cry 3 @1080p I play with a mix of low to med. settings on DX11 and It averages about 30-40 fps which is pretty good for being my card.