New 7970 no signal

DGunny

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
so i just poped in my new gigabyte 7970 and my monitor is getting no signal. The fans on the grapics card are spinning so its getting some power. I was just on my computer a few hours ago with my 7770 and it was working fine. Also, there is no longer a beep when my computer is starting up. anyone know what is wrong or how to fix this? thanks

My computer:
Thermaltake commander case
Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU
8gb Corsair Vengeance
msi 970A-G46 motherboard
AMD FX-6100
1TB hard drive

imomun

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Try Switch to different display port or HDMI of The HD7970
Also Check the PCIE power connectors properly plugged in with the 7970 properly inserted in the PCIE x16 Slot or not.
Thanks

Edit: This can be very well a power issue,

Thermaltake PSUs are hit or miss. People here will probably tell you that PSU is garbage, but it's actually very well reviewed :

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/thermaltake-tr2-bronze-600wtr-600p-review/

Thermaltake replaced the TR2 range with model numbers ending in "P" and Bronze efficiency ratings, therefore

Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W = garbage
Thermaltake TR2 TR-600P 600W = actually good.

Possible Solution: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=XFX%20550&IsVirtualParent=1

If the connections are all secure, then: is that TR2 "600W" PSU an older one? With a little voltage switch on it? If so, it is probably not able to hold up its end of the log. You'll need to get a quality 550W PSU for your rig. I would suggest one built by Seasonic, Delta, FSP, or Super Flower.

DGunny

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Its a new psu. And I don;t thik my computer is even fully starting up. If I press the power button on the case when I have the 7970 in it suhust of immediatly, rather than having a delay or having to hold it down. When i put my 7770 back in my computer works fine. Idon't know what else to try.

Well then there's your problem. It's an old model, using an obsolete design, that is overrated (i.e. not good for 600W). Please do NOT continue to try it with your HD7970; very likely under that load its outputs are wandering out of spec, and could damage attached equipment. You should replace it before using the HD7970.
Edit: Just to clarify, this is NOT the 80+ bronze, new version that was reviewed in imomun's link.

I recommend anything built by Seasonic (their own, XFX, some Antec), Delta (some Antec), FSP (their own, some Antec), Enermax/LEPA (their own), or Super Flower (Rosewill Capstone). High-end Corsair are made by Seasonic, but the cheap "Builder" units are made by CWT using some inferior Samxon capacitors. They're not horrible PSUs, but they aren't in the same league as the others.

Basically, it was built with components not capable of outputting what's on the label; essentially consumer fraud, but don't expect the government to do its job. For some good articles on the inner workings of PSUs, I highly recommend the articles and reviews at www.hardwaresecrets.com. The reviews and forums over at www.jonnyguru.com also have lots of good information.

DGunny

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
OK, update, So i had a good friend of my dad look at it to see if he could find the problem (before i spent money on anything) and he said the graphics card wasn't compatible with the mobo, which i had a hard time believing. Anyways i got it working by updating bios and some mobo drives (as mine were the ones the mobo came with out of the box). so yea, there you have it. no money spent either