$1,000 Video/Photo Editing HD, Music Recording

bronxbokeh

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I'm looking to get a new PC in the $1,000 range to edit and shop dslr hd video/photos, record some music, surf the net.

This is not commercial but I can be quit adventurous with projects so the video might get a little complicated perhaps....

Are there any pre made models that would do the trick or must I build my own?

bronxbokeh

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I've never built a computer before but I think I would enjoy it. I guess I should explore this site a bit more. Do they have customizable packages that will come with everything that's needed? I mean, I understand assembling all the parts within the case, but do I need any extra connections between these parts or do the individual parts come with all the necessary wires? I'm a noob at comp building for sure. Lol.

I understand I need the best processor, at least 16MB of RAM, excellent graphic cards and audio cards, decent storage, 1T perhaps. Maybe a SSD. At least one decent size screen. Good cooling system...

I just wonder if there is a good combination of these that would fit around my budget and within reasonable specs for my needs.

I would love to take family video on my DSLR and edit them into nice little home movies. Soundtracks, some slow motion, some time lapse scenes,..all shot in Full HD. Burn it onto some blu-rays, etc...

My music recording is not huge...one to four instruments..

iMacs with all the dressing are a bit pricey for me.

g-unit1111

Titan
I understand I need the best processor, at least 16MB of RAM, excellent graphic cards and audio cards, decent storage, 1T perhaps. Maybe a SSD. At least one decent size screen. Good cooling system...

You won't get all that for $1K, I'll tell you that right now. You also don't need sound cards that's just wasting your money.

bronxbokeh

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I hear ya. The thing that I don't know how to gauge is how much horsepower I really need. Perhaps I'm over doing it and there are a few places I could cut back and still be able to achieve a good creative experience. I just don't know what kind of power this level of video needs. I was hoping to be able to do most of it through Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements 11. Their minimum system requirements seem weak.

I'm digging what your saying about the advantages of building your own. I like that I could add memory down the line or add a better cooling system. Would like to start off with something strong enough and capable. Maybe I don't need 1T even...or not yet and I could order more later?

CarolKarine

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
if he's doing audio recording he may want that audio card. he won't need a GPU for either recording audio or editing footage, so the part of the budget that would go to a GPU goes to a soundcard...

do you need a monitor squeezed into the budget? cause if you do, and you're doing video/photo, that might be 200 USD.

anyways, a build assuming no monitor. (if you want to upgrade later for gaming, just plop a GPU in.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($110.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $913.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-04 18:55 EDT-0400)

this has no monitor or OS. you can get a copy of win 7 OEM (64bit) for 90 USD, so that would fill out your budget. if you need a monitor as well, you're looking at a lesser processor or no soundcard.

TRENDING THREADS