Can anyone help me? 570 SLI crashing problem

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Games
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2013 1:08:46 PM

I just recently got myself a second gtx 570 and went to sli the pair. I installed them without any major issues. I went to run my first game and at first everything appeared okay. The graphics ran great for a couple of moments before the game started getting really laggy. The audio began to cut out and then it froze all together. Then my computer loses all video signal and shuts down, it restarts moments after that. I have no idea what the problem is. I have the newest drivers from the gpu maker and Nvida. This happens every time I launch a game now. Can anyone help me with this problem, any advice of what to do? Please help.

My setup
Intel i5 2500k, water cooled
2 x msi gtx 570 twin frozr III
Asus Maximus IV gene-z motherboard
850 watt power supply. Gold plus standard.
Seagate 500gb 7200 rpm hard drive.

More about : 570 sli crashing problem

April 4, 2013 1:29:07 PM

Monitor your gpu temperatures. You may be getting too warm.

Edit: I just noticed that you said it happens at launch now. That's not a good sign. Try running each card by itself to ensure you have no hardware issues. If one of your cards acts up, that is the likely culprit.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:04:43 PM

wiggbot said:

Edit: I just noticed that you said it happens at launch now. That's not a good sign. Try running each card by itself to ensure you have no hardware issues. If one of your cards acts up, that is the likely culprit.

Ok, I got a load out of the temperatures at rest. The top card is at 59 C and the bottom card 31. Yea, I think you may be right. The bottom card stayed steady at around 28 Celsius. And the top card maxed at 97. So, in short I can't sli?
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2013 2:11:40 PM

Your motherboard supports SLi so I think you have either an airflow problem or a Windows issue.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:19:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Your motherboard supports SLi so I think you have either an airflow problem or a Windows issue.

Okay. I hope I can sli. Would you happen to know what Windows problem it would be? But, anyway. The case I am using now is the cooler master storm scout. The case has room for 5 fans, I installed 6. The side panel I have places 2 120mm fans directly facing the gpus (both are blowing air onto them). I have been thinking of changing cases just for this reason, for more air flow. Would faster rpm fans, or even another case like the lan boy air, or cooler master xb help? Where should I go from here?
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:23:54 PM

Your temps suggest that SLi is not enabled as the cards should run at about the same temp when in SLi and the low temp of your second card suggests that it's not being used. Is SLi enabled? Have you updated Windows with all the latest updates? What driver version are you using?
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:25:15 PM

seashepherd18 said:
wiggbot said:

Ok, I got a load out of the temperatures at rest. The top card is at 59 C and the bottom card 31. Yea, I think you may be right. The bottom card stayed steady at around 28 Celsius. And the top card maxed at 97. So, in short I can't sli?

I'm a little confused here. At load, your top card hits 97, but the bottom one stays at 28? But at rest, they are 59 and 31? Please elaborate.

m
l
April 4, 2013 2:27:32 PM

Do you have your fans setup properly though. Having the proper pull and push of fans will ensure you are bringing in cold air and not hot because just dragging air in from every side would make things not much better than having no fans. Myself I pull from the front the side and the bottom and push out from the top back fan and the two top of the case fans. My reasoning was that since hot air rises it doesn't make sense to pull air from the hottest places but rather push it out that way.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:31:10 PM

I am using MSi after burner. I turned up the fans while I was in the program as well. I also gave you the instant scores right after I downloaded the program. (my fault, I am an idiot). I got the scores right after i played a game. I have them at rest right now, and I haven't played a game in about 30 minutes. The top card is down to 52 and the bottom card is 25, both scores seem to be holding. Sorry for the confusion.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:39:29 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Your temps suggest that SLi is not enabled as the cards should run at about the same temp when in SLi and the low temp of your second card suggests that it's not being used. Is SLi enabled? Have you updated Windows with all the latest updates? What driver version are you using?

I have Nvida control panel pulled up right here. It tells me that SLI is enabled, and shows green for both cards. I am currently looking for more updates for windows. And they will downloaded shortly. Thank you for replying and trying to help me, I really appreciate it.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:42:34 PM

seashepherd18 said:
Mousemonkey said:

I have Nvida control panel pulled up right here. It tells me that SLI is enabled, and shows green for both cards. I am currently looking for more updates for windows. And they will downloaded shortly. Thank you for replying and trying to help me, I really appreciate it.

Whilst you have the NV control panel up you could enable the SLi indicators which would let you know whether the game you are playing even supports SLi.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:49:04 PM

Whilst you have the NV control panel up you could enable the SLi indicators which would let you know whether the game you are playing even supports SLi.[/quotemsg]

Ok, I will start up a game after these updates for windows are done, I am installing the last one now. I will report back shortly.
m
l
April 4, 2013 2:55:44 PM

Well... The game i decided to run was sniper elite v2. The bar on the side of the screen was green throughout the small part of the game I played. The bar was almost full screen, but was down just a little. And again the top gpu got very hot.
m
l
April 4, 2013 3:02:15 PM

Sounds like you may need to start experimenting with the airflow inside the case, I would try changing the orientation of some of the fans from intakes to exhausts.
m
l
April 4, 2013 3:06:57 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Sounds like you may need to start experimenting with the airflow inside the case, I would try changing the orientation of some of the fans from intakes to exhausts.

Okay, thank you for all your help. I am using a cooler master storm scout atm. Would you recommend I go for a better air flow case like the cooler master xb? I am going to try moving those fans around. brb.
m
l
April 4, 2013 3:18:56 PM

I don't buy expensive brand name cases, being a cheapskate I get "just a box" and then take a drill and or Dremel to it if I need to increase the airflow.
m
l
April 4, 2013 4:05:42 PM

I am using a corsair 500r and really like it myself have had it for about a year and a half i think.
Here i found a diagram i believe this is your case. Follow these directions for which direction to orient your fans. Also the fans themselves may need to be changed I prefer noctua fans myself i find they don't whine much and while maybe not as much airflow they are adequate. Pricey though. The 570's are hot running little things though my asus directcu ii version was warm with that triple slot setup it takes. So you might want to forgo and take a bit of extra noise and push as much airflow as you can into the case to get that heat down.

http://www.campbellcameras.com/shopping/images/product/...
m
l
April 4, 2013 5:57:05 PM

Airm3n said:
I am using a corsair 500r and really like it myself have had it for about a year and a half i think.
Here i found a diagram i believe this is your case. Follow these directions for which direction to orient your fans. Also the fans themselves may need to be changed I prefer noctua fans myself i find they don't whine much and while maybe not as much airflow they are adequate. Pricey though. The 570's are hot running little things though my asus directcu ii version was warm with that triple slot setup it takes. So you might want to forgo and take a bit of extra noise and push as much airflow as you can into the case to get that heat down.

http://www.campbellcameras.com/shopping/images/product/...

Thanks a bunch. yea I am using that configuration now. Expect on top fan on the side panel i made that one pull out air. I am going to check it now. Thanks a bunch. I will report back.

m
l
April 4, 2013 6:11:16 PM

Hey, I think great news. I added some more space between the gpus. (the most I could do). Also I changed fan case configs. And now under the highest graphics on sniper elite v2 which is 1920 (or something like that) to I forget what. The top gpu stayed around 77 while the bottom one stayed at 35. Do you all think this is alright, I am not frying the gpu or anything right.
m
l
April 4, 2013 6:14:49 PM

77c is good but I'm still concerned that your second card is running at too low a temp if it is in SLi mode as the temps of both cards should be around the same.
m
l
April 4, 2013 6:20:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
77c is good but I'm still concerned that your second card is running at too low a temp if it is in SLi mode as the temps of both cards should be around the same.

Yea, I have absolutely no idea how that is happening. I am using msi afterburner to get the stats on the gpu, and those are the numbers its feeding me for gpu1 and gpu 2. the max for that game turned out to be 79. But at that temp its alright?
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2013 9:22:44 PM

Well provided the air isn't severly being restricted and that sli is properly functioning I have heard of the heatsinks sometimes being knocked loose but as i'm not sure on which gpu's that was happening its more rumor than anything though not impossible. Remember that the 5xx series do suck up a lot of power so its probably not unexpected to run so hot. My gtx titan hits 80 Celcius under load and i believe its power usage was around 250w or something like that. I can't recall off hand what the 570 was but i thought it was at least that or maybe even higher. Also have you checked to ensure that the fans are properly spinning up when under load? Blown any excess dust that may have built up inside? As well unless you have noticed drastically better temps I wouldn't have push and pull on the same side panels chances are all you will do is stir up a bunch of hot air and not move much air in the end.

What I did for my own case was setup the fans in a configuration generally recommended then load up a gpu intensive benchmark like unigine valley benchmark. Max out the settings to get the highest load and run a test. See what your temps are and then take your side panel fans and reverse them. Bench again and check your temps. Choose the direction to point the fans that give you best temps. Front case fans imo should always be intake and ceiling/top rear fan exhaust(I get better temps since i run corsair h100 rad at top of my case). But thats what has worked best for me. The bottom fan if your case has one should be intake(if case is on the floor you will suck up lots of dust though without a filter). Side fans are the only ones i play with on my case to get the best temps.
April 5, 2013 3:29:52 AM

• if your hotter GPU is old one then shift it down & new on top it should resolve the issue if not redo the thermal paste on gpu if its old one
    m
    l
    April 5, 2013 3:29:54 AM

Okay, thanks Airm3n for your help, along with everyone else. I think I have it under control now, I will mess with the fans and see what is best. Thank you all for helping me, I really appreciate it. I am glad that my sli now functions. It won't be working if it were not for you guys. Thanks.
    m
    l
    !