$1200 Green/Black Gaming PC Build

PyroBoyy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hey everyone,

I've seen a lot of Eyefinity set ups recently, and tried my friends, and absolutely love it! So I want one of my own :D I was hoping to make a green and black coloured theme build as they're my two favourite colors. I'll also be looking at a NZXT Phantom 410 White.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1100-$1200 AUD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing internet, recording gaming school work, watching movies, editing videos and pictures

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything apart from HDD

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Umart or MSY. I live in Australia and American shops don't ship to me! I'd also like to support locally.

http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

http://www.msy.com.au/index.jsp

Parts Preferences: Intel and AMD

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 and 5760x1080

Additional Comments: Don't include second GPU into price, as I will run with one, then when I get the money run with two. As said in the title, I would love it to be green/black themed, with a nice window in the side to see my parts :D

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I want to try Eyefinity!

Parts I've picked:

SilverStone ST75F-P 750W Power Supply $143.00

Kingston 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX $69.00

NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Case White NO PSU $125.00

Gigabyte G1-SNIPER-M3 Z77/4 x DDR3/3 x PCI-E3.0 x 16/2 x SATA3/4 x USB3.0/HDMI/DP/D-Sub/DVI-D/5.1CH/ $189.00

Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge $239.00

Sapphire ATI HD 7950 VaporX-OC w BOOST PCI-E 3.0 3GB GDDR5 $332.00

Samsung 120GB SSD 840 Series SATA III 6Gbs 2xnm Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND 3-Core MDX Controller, 256MB $95.00

TOTAL = $1192.00

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all my thoughts down :)

This goes a bit over 1200$, but it has an aftermarket cpu cooler, which is needed if you want to overclock properly the cpu, the hyper 212 evo is a efficient one.
The samsung 840(non pro) 120GB is not a good buy, it has tlc nand and it's a slower ssd with less endurance in comparison with other ssds with mlc nand around the same price.
I would get the 7970, better gpu for it single or for crossfire, also i don't recommend getting a matx board for crossfire, the cards are going to be pretty close which means they're going to heat up rather well, that motherboard also isn't a good value, this goes with a cheaper case, but a good one, i give the priority to performance over style.
Here's the list, all parts from an australian website :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($409.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1229.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

PyroBoyy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I'll be getting an Antec Kuhler H20 620 aswell, forgot to add that. Also, seeing some benchmarks, when the 7950 is clocked to 7970 speeds, it only lacks a few fps behind. I'd like to put that $70 saved towards the NZXT Phantom 410 case, as I absolutely love it. As for the motherboard, the PCI slots look pretty far away, even when comparing to the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (I don't like ASRock, so I won't be buying this motherboard) so I think it would still be good? Could you confirm that this exact motherboard (G1 Sniper M3) 's PCI slots are far enough away for heat to not build up? I'm also fine with paying a little extra just for the green and black theme on the G1 Sniper, as I really want a green/black themed build. I'll definitely swap the SSD out now, but I can't get the Plextor one, as I will be buying from Umart or MSY, not PCCG, so would the SanDisk extreme work out well? And the power supply - on many PSU calculators, the build will only draw about 620W, but I decided 750W should be enough headroom? Saving $30 there.

Thanks

*EDIT* Actually, decided against crossfire, as seeing benchmarks for eyefinity, current games all get above 30FPS, and I'm fine with that, I don't really see the need for 30FPS plus... So that'd mean dropping PSU back to Antec High Current Gamer 520W saving $70, and that's about it? Also, someone was telling me that they spent $600 on a crossfire set up 2 years ago, and now upgraded to a 7970 for $400, and it blows it out of the water.

I recommend getting the hyper 212 evo over that aio water cooler, you'll get better performance with the hyper 212 evo, less noise and it's cheaper, also there's no risks of leaks.
Yes, i know, once you're set with a certain case, it's difficult to change it, the nzxt phantom 410 is a good case, so if you really want it, buy it.
The asrock z77 extreme 4 is a good motherboard, it's a reliable one and very popular, there're better motherboards out there, if you don't like the brand, look for the Asus P8Z77-V LK or Gigabyte Z77x-D3H(or UD3H).
The sniper m3 has space for two 7950, but like i said they're going to be pretty close, which will add some extra heat, in spite, that you'll have a case with good cooling/airflow.
The price of the sniper is way to steep to consider it just because of the looks, that mobo will be pretty much covered anyway.
As for the ssd, yes, the sandisk extreme is a good one too, there're others that i'd look for, like the crucial m4, sandisk ultra plus, samsung 830 or 840 pro.
The 850W psu in was for two 7970 in mind(since you'd plan to add another one for a eyefinity setup).
For two 7950, the 750W unit is more than sufficient, if you plan to just stay with one card, get the 7970 gigabyte windforce 3x and the antec hcg 620(it's more than sufficient for it).