$500 Update for a crashed 6 year old system: Advice

compagent

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Introduction: I'm a long time reader of Toms, and this is my first ever posting. I have a system I built in the fall of 2007 that has decided to finally die on me. Its had a few issues in the past few weeks leading to BSOD for a generic hardware error (I don't recall the wording, but I looked up the stop code, and was basically told its a generic, hard to trace hardware issue). I wanted to start looking at updates 'soon' as in this year, so I decided with this issue instead of just finding the part and fixing a dated system to just go ahead and modernize my build.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 6000+ (3.0 GHz dual core)
MOBO: Biostar TF-570 SLI
RAM: 3GB offbrand PC-8500 (800 mhz)
GPU: GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
-------------------------
PSU: (Forget the brand), solid 600 watt from Microcenter (Replaced 2011)
Monitor: 19" Acer 192ws 1440x900@60hz
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid case (Planning to reuse now, replace Holiday 2013)

Usage: If I had to divide out my computer use, it would be about 30% gaming and 70% productivity (general internet use, minor photo work, excel databases, etc). I haven't 'cared' to be able to game at Max settings, and typically play more strategy type games (ex: Civilization, World in Conflict) than the more active FPS (like a Crysis, or CS).

Goals:

1) Completely update the core platform I want to replace the "big 4" (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and GPU). I am keeping everything else (case, peripherals, PSU)

2) Have a "household" system that can game at ~1080p My current monitor works for my setup, fits my desk well, and has good color. I figure with a rebuild I want to be comfortable hooking up to a HDTV or something and be able to have the standard 1080 resolution display well. I don't plan on getting a monitor above 23" in the next 5-6 years or doing any kind of multi-screen setup.

3) Price/Performance over updatability I've been on this site for years, and I want to say I'm not the type to get every perpetual generation of technology. I just don't have the budget for it to enjoy such fresh stuff. The way I view this, my current rig has survived my needs for this long that by the time I'm in this position again, there will be a wide away of yet-invented platforms and technologies that I will again start from scratch.

Budget and Preferences: $450-$550

I'm not new to tech and I understand the fundamental "Intel vs AMD" debates. Honestly, I do want/try to support AMD as being the little guy as their products are not 'bad', just "not as good" as Intel. As a budget based builder, the price/performance numbers of AMD give me a strong draw their direction.

Also, besides a balance between gaming and productivity (all-around use), I also want to try to balance the CPU/GPU so that they utilize each other the most and not be overpowered in any way. Since I am content with solid 1080 gaming and no higher, any skewing can go to the CPU side for multi-tasking if I can have playable framerates on modern titles at 1080.

So here we go: Provide suggestions of a complete core upgrade (CPU, MOBO, RAM, GPU) that balances multi-tasking productivity while allowing high quality gaming at 1080 resolution. Build should be ~$500 (can be slightly over)

I am within driving distance of a Microcenter, and my first build was 100% Newegg purchased.

My baseline idea to get this started: (Via Microcenter)

CPU: [$179.99] AMD FX 8350 4GHz AM3+ Black Edition Boxed Processor
MOBO: [$59.99] ASRock 970 Extreme4 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD MB
-- Mobo price reflects $40 bundle CPU/Mobo pricing (sale price: $99.99)
RAM: [$64.99] Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) (2x4GB)
GPU: [$179.99] ASUS HD7850-DC-1GD5 AMD Radeon HD 7850 1024MB GDDR5

Total: $491.95+tax

I realize this may be a long post, but I know there are some crazy knowledgeable people here, and I look forward to your feedback.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
In that Budget I feel like your gonna be looking for the best price/performance. So I'd say switch to a 3570k especially if your gonna be gaming. Also look i'd probably recomend looking into the new 7790 or 650 ti boost as they both looked to be a much better value than the 7850.

If you're looking to get a few years out of that GPU, I'd be encouraging you to stretch to a 2GB model. A few games already struggle at 1080p with only 1GB. If leaks are to be believed, the new consoles are going to pack significant amounts of RAM. I can't see devs spending too much time ensuring their code is optimised for 1GB GPUs.
Otherwise good build though.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I like the way you are thinking, but I think you'd be a fool not to go with a A10 series APU. First, if you are running windows, you will not use 8 cores on any processor. Only the 1st core is hammered. The 2nd core is LIGHTLY loaded. Cores beyond 1 and 2 are always idle. Now, there are SOME games that are written to take advantage of multi-core processors. But you are not a hardcore gamer to be using those games. And, the few that use cores beyond 1 and 2 will run great on a quad core processor.
The A10 APU has a pretty decent GPU built into it. It's likely that you would not need a dedicated graphics card, even for moderately demanding games. HOWEVER, if you decide to add a dedicated graphics card later...
A10 APU plus dedicated graphics will perform better than FX whatever with dedicated graphics.
Your current system has a symptom that is most likely pointing at a bad power supply or bad RAM. And it is never a good idea to recycle a power supply into a new build or major upgrade (even if that power supply is relatively new). So to be safe, you should replace CPU, motherboard, RAM and power supply.

That's why I'd suggest the following build. Note that you almost have money left in the budget to cover a nice dedicated graphics card later. But frankly, I don't think you'll need one.

A10-5800K $130
GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4 $114
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 8GB F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR $67
Seasonic Gold 650W modular power supply $110

$421, newegg prices

jdwii

Splendid

It looks like he is saving a lot of money over the I5 since he gets a decent cheap board combo but if he can switch it that would be good. As for the 7790 over 7850 he would only save around 20$. and the price diffrence its over 24% slower

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7790_Turbo_Duo/26.html

jdwii

Splendid

If I had to divide out my computer use, it would be about 30% gaming and 70% productivity (general internet use, minor photo work, excel databases, etc).

He doesn't even make gaming the number 1 priority is this really the type of recommendations people give others?

compagent

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Some notes and observations so far:

1) I do not overclock. I consider myself a novice. I may in the future when/if I ensure proper cooling and component support. Always viewed it as risky since I try to keep my stuff going for years.

2) To the point on the video cards; I agree that 2GB is probably on the verge of being a 'standard' for playability (given AA and ever growing texture demands). If I can come up with extra funds before the buy (which I want to do this month), the 2 GB version of the 7850 is only ~$30 more.

3) To all posters, I use this site as much as you guys do. I see the monthly "Best cards/CPU for the money lists, the benchmarks, the global advice articles. Part of me choosing the Radeon 7850 is because of its price/performance results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-performance.html

This sites own charting shows about a 10-12 point jump between the 650 TI and the 7850 for only ~$15 difference. Both 7850 cards were selected this past month for the Graphics value play at $170 and $200 respectively.

Remember, all I'm going for is solid 1920x1080 performance. While the 2GB version will allow greater AA/Texture mapping, my focus is still to be balanced to the productivity side as well.

So the question should be posed as "What graphics solution provides playable 1920x1080 resolution at respectable settings" The fact is that the 7850 is recommended at 2 separate price points on a "GAMING value list", where the fine print states "If you don't game, these cards are probably overkill for you". Yes, I want this build to play games. But no, it doesn't have to have the most bling at the highest resolutions. The 7850 is viewed as a solid value play and should play well at my requested resolution. That means we can push more to the productivity side of things.

3) I didn't mention SSD in the original posts, but I want/plan on migrating to one as prices continue to come down, probably on a good holiday deal this year (so I can get a decent size).