7970 vs 670 microstutter

NightSoil

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Has anyone had any firsthand experience with these cards, and if so, do they have much microstutter.

I also plan to sli/cf later this year, do any of these produce significant amounts of microstutter whilst in an sli/crossfire config.

Thanks.

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools/10
a good article to read about it. Basically nvidia has done more with their drivers and research to make frames sync up better in multi card configurations. I believe firsthand experience doesn't tell the whole story as it may not be perceivable to all users, and your unlikely to find someone that has owned both setups and compared them side by side. It also depends on your cpu and motherboard, a low end cpu paired with a high end dual card setup can cause stuttering too. It can also depend on your screen resolution, if triple monitor 1080p is what your doing, then a pair of 2gb cards wont do it, you will want 3 or 4gb cards and you may want 3 of them. So what resolution do you plan to play at? and what are the rest of your system specs? that may influence weather or not dual cards are right for you and weather you will or wont get stuttering.

JJ1217

Honorable
I have had both a 7950, and have since upgraded to a 670.

And JEEZUS is there a huge difference (In B4 people calling me a Nvidia fanboy, I was long an AMD GPU fanboy before this) between 60 FPS with a 7950 and 60 FPS with a 670. Note this was me actually switching from dual 7950's to dual 670's.. so the end result might be inflated because CFX isn't as good as SLI tbh.

pantherr

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ive owned 7950's,7970's and 670's and there is not a difference to the human eye anyways.I agree sli is better tho but single card i got the same smoothness out of both cards.I will say tho that in games where crossfire was fully supported it was every bit as smooth as sli 670's/Battlefield 3 actually felt smoother with crossfire 7950's then sli 670's.Especially since 13.2 beta 7 drivers.I doubt the poster above me used 13.2 beta 7 drivers cause i can assure him he wont see any difference if any anymore.

pantherr

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

uhh ok.theres no difference in appearance ive seen side by side comparisons.More people should chime in thats owned both instead of people getting false info off websites

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

I haven't looked at the given link so I can't comment on that however my comment was more generic.

According to the articles out today, with the latest drivers at the time the articles were started:
1) For single cards, the 7970 is superior.
2) In SLI/CF without FPS limiting or v-sync, 670 SLI is better
3) in SLI/CF with FPS limiting or v-sync, the CF problems disappear, I have not seen speed comparisons except for 1 game, which looked the same. Though FPS limiting favors SLI since you don't need to FPS limit SLI.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Tes-10
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-benchmarking-frame-rate,3466.html

I have fun 6950 CF and 680 SLI, and I ran with v-sync most the time with the 6950's, before I knew about the latency issue that cause me simulator sickness. Now I'd play without v-sync more often.