7970 OC - Crysis 3 Freezes entire system

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
I just got my first gaming computer in 5 years (I stuck to consoles since), so I'm a little out of date. I got an MSI 7970 OC (not ghz edition) using the latest beta drivers, and OCed the memory from 1350 to 1500 using Afterburner, but left the core at 1ghz and the voltage at stock.

I stressed by running 3dMark and the Heaven Benchmark at the highest settings for awhile. The temps never reached above 79C and I saw no artifacts. I played Battlefied 3 and Bioshock Infinite for hours each with no problems. However, last night Crysis 3 started freezing within 15 minutes or so of playing. I was keeping an eye on my temps and again it was staying around 78-79C and there were no artifacts.

Is this most likely an issue with Crysis 3 or my GPU/OC settings? I'll probably try running the game without the OC, but don't want to risk another hard freeze if I don't have to.

Thanks!

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Its not an issue. They intentionally created Crysis 3 to tax the best of machines. I assume that you put all of the graphics settings to max? What precisely happened when it froze your entire system? Did the screen blank out, did it automatically restart, did everything just freeze, etc?

Since your machine plays the rest without and issue and you benchmarked it just fine, I am sure that it is just Crysis doing what they do best, breaking machines.

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
I have it running at 1920x1200 on ultra (although I turned down AA a bit) It runs very smooth, but after 15 minutes, I get a hard freeze. Can't alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete. I'm getting nervous testing because I don't want to keep doing hard reboots. :(

For whatever it's worth, I also have a Corsair 750 Bronze PSU.

^+1 Ruusk. Just because it runs other games with the OC doesn't mean the Crysis 3 won't have issues or shouldn't have. I had similar problems with BF3 and my GTx560ti. No matter what overclock I put on it, even a very moderate one, with only slight increases from stock clocks, BF3 would always crash. At stock, it was just fine. Ruusk is right. Run it at stock, and if it's okay you know you are on the right track. Not all software/games reacts well to OC'ing.

RussK1

Splendid

First rule to OC'ing - if the computer crashes (or other anomalies), remove the OC and see if problems persist. No sense in trying to figure out the hard way when the easy one is right there the whole time.

RussK1

Splendid

Unfortunate and the blind hope of it not being the OC is understandable hence trying other solutions first. But the truth of the matter, you would of wasted your time and circled back to the original problem and would have been forced to deal with the hand dealt that was given to you in the first place.

Just up the voltage via MSI Afterburner and keep the 1GHz clock.

RussK1

Splendid

Probably not but worth a shot.

Do you have GPU-z? You can check ASIC quality?

[flash=720,480]http://www.youtube.com/v/q7ign1g-N6k[/flash]

RussK1

Splendid

If the processor is getting too hot it'll downclock. Shutting off is indicative of bad power - either from the wall or power supply.

What psu btw?

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Corsair 750 Bronze brand new. I suspect that the temps were getting into the 80s or 90s when I was playing Crysis 3. I'm going to test that next. I'm running Prime95 right now.

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
I ran Prime95 and after 5 minutes, it got over 65C, so I shut it down. I then ran Crysis 3 in a window and had HWMonitor open side by side. It quickly got to about 65C and would spike up to 73C. My GPU stayed at 78C so that seemed OK. I quit after about 10 minutes. Finally I ran Battlefield 3 for awhile. The temp stayed around 58C the entire time with the GPU at 68C.

Whether it is the main problem or not, apparently the 8350 shouldn't really ever go much above 62C ever, so I HAVE to tackle that issue. My friend has some good thermal compound he's going to loan me tomorrow. I'll reapply it to the CPU and and see if it lowers my temps (I may apply it to my GPU as well since I'm doing this.) If that doesn't work I'll replace the cooler (a self-contained Asetek water cooler.)

Once I can get my CPU cool I'll do more testing and see if things are more stable. I would think the high temps are more likely the issue than the PSU...

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
OK, I swapped out the cooler that came with it with an Antec 620. Before, Prime95 got my temps over 65C and climbing after 5 minutes. Now, after 20 minutes, it is hovering at 45C. Big big difference. I'll check out Crysis again tonight, but i'm willing to bet that this solves this issue.

pooter03

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
OK, I think we did it. It looked like the original water cooler wasn't installed correctly, it was a little loose. We took the fan from that and added it to the new one so I have two fans in a push/pull config. I ran Crysis 3 for an hour and the CPU never got above 50. I was even able to OC my GPU to 1100/1500 and had no problems. Other games ran fine as well. Thanks for everyone's help. :)