Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 680 4gb vs GTX 690 vs GTX Titan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 5, 2013 12:41:58 PM

I am in the market for a good video gaming card. I am a big gamer and wanting to get the best card with performance. I have been looking seriously getting the GTX 680 4gb or either the GTX 690 or the Titan. I know with the GTX 680 4gb which is about $540 comparing that to the GTX 690 or even the Titan its like a major almost $500 difference. If I was to go with 2 GTX 680 4gb cards would they perform extremely well or would I noticed a huge performance difference if I was to go with a single GTX 690 or even the Titan. I appreciate the feedback and comments on it all.

Thank you!
April 5, 2013 12:47:07 PM

what monitor resolution? if you're only running 1080 or 1200 I would suggest buying one card now for $500 and another in 1 year+ for the other $500. you'll be on the cutting edge longer than one $1000 card now
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:03:37 PM

somewhere i readed that a gx 690 was made to perform as 2 gtx 680 in sli for less money and watching the benchmarks all of them say that the gtx 690 is better tan the gtx titan so i think that if u want to play in 3 monitors and all that things go for the gtx 690 but if u are going to play in 1 monitor think a 680 will be ok for a long time
m
0
l
Related resources
April 5, 2013 1:08:08 PM

The thing is performance wise your it goes 680, titan, then 690, however the titan and 690 cost the same but the 690's faster. So unless your planing to SLI the titan I wouldn't get it, that leaves the 680 and 690 but they are in total different leagues since the 690 is 2x680. So Iwould also recomend going with the 680 then SLI in another year.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:14:03 PM

but in another year the 700 series will be out...he can sell his 680 and buy the 780...
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:17:06 PM

What are your other system specs, what is your monitor resolution, what games are you running, and what settings/fps do you want?

First of, you'll want at least an I5-3570K to manage this kind of hardware. At least. No ifs or buts. Nothing AMD has is going to cut it.

If you're gaming in 1080p and want to run games at ultra settings and get 30fps consistently, you needn't exceed the HD 7870 and spare the cash to....I 'unno, go down to the pub and buy your friends a few rounds of drinks.
If you're gaming in 1080p and want to run games at ultra settings and get 60fps consistently, go for the GTX 670.

If you're switching up to the higher resolution of 2550x1600, but don't mind 30 fps, you'll want an overclocked HD 7970. Make sure it has a decent aftermarket cooler (asus, Sapphire, XFX, etc.) so that it doesn't get too loud.

If you want high-detail, high-fps gaming in 2550x1600 or 5760x1080, then I recommend 2 7970's in Crossfire, as this will offer better performance than the 690 for the same price.
However, if to avoid micro-suttering issues, keep within a power limit or deal with limited case size you only want one card, the 690 is a perfectly acceptable card for ultra-high end gaming. However, it's not as great value as the 7970 option.

The titan is very poor value: it comes at the same price as the 690, but gives only about 3/4 of the performance. Avoid, unless you plan on sli'ing them.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:27:49 PM

My Specs are the following:


ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor

32gb ddr3

2-256SSD drives in Raid 0
2-2TB Western Digital Black Drives for Storage

Creative Sound Blaster ZXr

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 Watts

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

So after all of that it sounds like the GTX680 4gb is not even in the same league as the GTX690? I plan on for now just doing a single monitor and maybe down the road have dual monitors. If the 690 is worth is compared to 2-GTX 680 4gb cards maybe I should make the switch. Let me know your feedback.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:32:00 PM

jeremymh said:
My Specs are the following:


ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor

32gb ddr3

2-256SSD drives in Raid 0
2-2TB Western Digital Black Drives for Storage

Creative Sound Blaster ZXr

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 Watts

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

So after all of that it sounds like the GTX680 4gb is not even in the same league as the GTX690? I plan on for now just doing a single monitor and maybe down the road have dual monitors. If the 690 is worth is compared to 2-GTX 680 4gb cards maybe I should make the switch. Let me know your feedback.


Your specs are fine. Maybe even overkill.

Really, just check my list for how much power you need. Really, if you can afford the GTX 690, the limiting factor is not the amount of money you can spend on a card, but amount of power that your games (and the resolution/settings you play them in) need.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:34:02 PM

it sounds like money isn't an issue...go for the 690 now and in a year sell it if the 700's are that much better.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:35:51 PM

japps2 said:
it sounds like money isn't an issue...go for the 690 now and in a year sell it if the 700's are that much better.


Why buy a 690 if you don't need it? If you're only gaming in 1080p, you don't need to spend that much money....
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:38:45 PM

oh, I agree...my advice (originally) was to get the 680 now for 1080 and save the other $500 to get a 780 in a year. but by the OP's response went right back to 2x680's or a 690...then looking at his system specs...he has a lot of money for computers.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:45:02 PM

OP:

Having re-read your specs, your monitor is only 1920x1080. If you want 60FPS in all your games at that resolution, then the GTX 670 will be just fine.

If you plan on upgrading to a wider monitor (2550x1600 or 5760x1080) or want to exploit your 144hz monitor for frame rates of 120FPS or more, then you might want to go with either 7970's in crossfire or the 690. Your motherboard and PSU will support both options. The 7970's provide more power (and are cheaper), but they will drain power more quickly and you may encounter micro-stutering issues. These can be countered by creating a maximum FPS limit or using radeonpro, but neither of these are perfect (the 690 shouldn't have these problems at all). Your call.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:45:07 PM

I do appreciate the feedback I am getting. I have saved up quite a bit of money and have not had a really good desktop in many years. I was originally going to buy the GTX 690 but after reading some reviews of the GTX 680 4gb card I didnt think at the time it was worth the extra $500 to buy it. Now it seems like I am getting other opinions that state otherwise so I am doubting getting the GTX 680 4gb card. Like I mentioned I will have just the 1 monitor mentioned above and will most likely run the games in 1080p. If it is better for to spend the extra cash and get the GTX 690 I want to if I will get better gaming performance. My original plan was to buy 2-GTX 680 4gb cards and run them in SLI, now I don't know what to do. Help me decide.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:50:57 PM

jeremymh said:
I do appreciate the feedback I am getting. I have saved up quite a bit of money and have not had a really good desktop in many years. I was originally going to buy the GTX 690 but after reading some reviews of the GTX 680 4gb card I didnt think at the time it was worth the extra $500 to buy it. Now it seems like I am getting other opinions that state otherwise so I am doubting getting the GTX 680 4gb card. Like I mentioned I will have just the 1 monitor mentioned above and will most likely run the games in 1080p. If it is better for to spend the extra cash and get the GTX 690 I want to if I will get better gaming performance. My original plan was to buy 2-GTX 680 4gb cards and run them in SLI, now I don't know what to do. Help me decide.


You really don't need a GTX 680's in SLI or a GTX 690 for 1080p gaming, unless you're planning to run with FPS significantly higher than 60.

Really, just 1 GTX 670/GTX 680/HD 7950 OC or HD 7970 will do absolutely fine. You'll be able to run any game in 1080p at ultra settings and get a solid 60 fps.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 1:53:15 PM

You have seen my specs so far. I really don't want to shell the type of money I have so far and get a mediocre card. I want something that will last a while and will run everything in max settings (Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Cysis, Etc.)
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 2:00:31 PM

jeremymh said:
You have seen my specs so far. I really don't want to shell the type of money I have so far and get a mediocre card. I want something that will last a while and will run everything in max settings (Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Cysis, Etc.)


All the cards that I have suggested will do that just fine. The GTX 670, GTX 680, HD 7970 and OC'd 7950 all run modern games at ultra settings in 1080p and get a solid 60fps. They all have a great degree of futureproofing.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-670-review,re...
[Bear in mind that the AMD cards are faster than they look here due to BIOS updates and better driver support.]

If you're really worried about futureproofing, it would be more effective to buy 1 $500 card now, and then save the extra $500 to upgrade in the future (e.g., GTX 780/880, HD 8970/9970). You can't futureproof in the silicone processor market.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 2:15:15 PM

if you're looking to run Crysis 3 max'd out you will need 2x670's at least. so a 690 will work fine. if you can "tolerate" high settings then you can get by on 1 680 for now. again; buying one card now for $500 and saving your money until next year and getting the newest card at $500 will be much better at playing games for the next 3 years
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 2:15:34 PM

bemused_fred said:

You really don't need a GTX 680's in SLI or a GTX 690 for 1080p gaming, unless you're planning to run with FPS significantly higher than 60.

Really, just 1 GTX 670/GTX 680/HD 7950 OC or HD 7970 will do absolutely fine. You'll be able to run any game in 1080p at ultra settings and get a solid 60 fps.


What's the point in buying a 144hz monitor and then aiming for 60fps? 1080p at 120fps requires twice the rendering power of 1080p at 60fps. Personally, if I was looking for multi-gpu performance I'd buy 2x670s. Their performance is nearly equal to 2x680/690 for significantly less money. If money was no object, I'd get a Titan so I didn't have to deal with any multi-gpu issues.

Whatever you do, don't get an AMD card as Crossfire is basically broken. This is coming from the very satisfied owner of a single 7970.

m
0
l
April 5, 2013 2:18:04 PM

also keep in mind that you are coming up to the end-life of the GTX600 series...the 700 series is supposed to be released before x-mas. So in another 6 months we'll have a whole new crop of performance cards.
m
0
l
April 7, 2013 7:05:30 PM

I have in hand now the GTX 680 4gb but I may return it and spend the extra to get the GTX 690 it almost seems like everyone thinks that should be the best route. I want to do this if it will be a major performance increase and allow me to run some of these games like Skyrim, Crysis, Bioshock Infinite on Ultra settings. Right decision?
m
0
l
April 8, 2013 12:46:15 AM

how u said the money is not a problem and as i said between 2x680 or 690 its better to get a 690 i think u will be satisfied
m
0
l
April 8, 2013 12:29:02 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback it has been much appreciated.
m
0
l
!