Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

noob to building a budget gaming pc

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Consoles
  • Build Your Own
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 5, 2013 3:40:06 PM

Hello I am considering building my first budget gaming PC after years of being a console guy. The main games I want to play right now are minecraft, skyrim, and bioshock infinite. All preferably at high/maxed settings if possible.

here are the parts I have chosen

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGp6

also here is the case (couldn't find it on part picker)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

because I have no experience would all of these parts work together? would I have any bottleneck? also can they handle the games I want to play? Is there any major things that I am missing? and is there any way to cut costs a little bit? because on new egg my cart total is $710.91 and that is slightly over my budget.

More about : noob building budget gaming

a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2013 3:49:05 PM

that psu is complete garbage . get one from antec corsair seasonic pc power and cooling or xfx . see how you like this build
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGPl
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGPl/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGPl/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($58.23 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $687.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-05 19:03 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 3:57:25 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.77 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.86 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)

Total: $644.13


This is not including that case you chose. This also has a better 1TB drive vs the one you chose. Also, with this cooler and mobo, you have some OC options if needed.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2013 3:59:02 PM

this is better more powerful especially in VGA and PSU quality :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($178.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($58.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $638.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-05 18:58 EDT-0400)

it's your call
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 4:02:34 PM

The 650ti is NOT better than the HD 7850...

yasserBasha said:
this is better more powerful especially in VGA and PSU quality :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($178.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($58.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $638.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-05 18:58 EDT-0400)

it's your call


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2013 4:12:56 PM

bossferas said:
The 650ti is NOT better than the HD 7850...

yasserBasha said:
this is better more powerful especially in VGA and PSU quality :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($90.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($178.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($58.24 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $638.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-05 18:58 EDT-0400)

it's your call




my friend ,,,,, that's gtx 650ti boost NOT the regular, it is much powerful than hd 7850
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=680

that's only the regular .... the boost version is even stronger
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2013 4:22:52 PM

That shows the 7850 as being stronger in most of the tests and even the ones where the 650ti is stronger it is not by much.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 4:31:52 PM

so many choices..... would it really make a big difference at the end of the day with either graphics card? because one reason I picked the 7850 is because I can get bioshock and tomb raider for free if I buy that one.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 4:32:36 PM

smeezekitty said:
That shows the 7850 as being stronger in most of the tests and even the ones where the 650ti is stronger it is not by much.


It's the 650ti in there, what yasser was saying is the boost edition. It is stronger, look at the charts on this website.
http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=4527&graphics=GeF...
It beats the HD7850, and it's the better bang for your buck.
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 4:38:38 PM

bossferas said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.77 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.86 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)

Total: $644.13


This is not including that case you chose. This also has a better 1TB drive vs the one you chose. Also, with this cooler and mobo, you have some OC options if needed.


I will probably go with this. Will this system run the games I mentioned on High/Maxed settings?
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 6:27:11 PM


kitty_TAC0 said:
bossferas said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.77 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.86 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)

Total: $644.13


This is not including that case you chose. This also has a better 1TB drive vs the one you chose. Also, with this cooler and mobo, you have some OC options if needed.


I will probably go with this. Will this system run the games I mentioned on High/Maxed settings?




Yes, this setup will give you great performance for most games out today. I am assuming you are going to be at or around 1080p or less?
m
0
l
April 5, 2013 8:00:37 PM

bossferas said:

kitty_TAC0 said:
bossferas said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OGKw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($93.77 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.86 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.39 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)

Total: $644.13


This is not including that case you chose. This also has a better 1TB drive vs the one you chose. Also, with this cooler and mobo, you have some OC options if needed.


I will probably go with this. Will this system run the games I mentioned on High/Maxed settings?




Yes, this setup will give you great performance for most games out today. I am assuming you are going to be at or around 1080p or less?


yes, 1080p
m
0
l
!