Sign in with
Your question

7970 flickering and screen tearing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2013 8:34:35 PM

I have a sapphire 7970 and ever since I bought it I've been getting major screen tearing and artifact flickering during web browsing, video playback, and even gaming.

After stepping up to the latest beta drivers I thought I fixed it, but the issue still remains.

My current rig is:
Asus P8Z68 V Pro
i5 3570k stock
Sapphire 7970
corsair 600w 80 plus builder edition
8gb DDR3 1600
2 Acer 23" 1080p Monitors (1 via hdmi and another with the display adaptor to convert dvi to hdmi)

I bought this card used with the option to return it. Is it a faulty card? It performs well outside of the screen tearing/flickering
April 5, 2013 8:39:13 PM

Turn on VSync. Turn up your graphics settings, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, texture filtering, etc. Are your framerates near 60 FPS or a lot higher?
April 5, 2013 8:43:48 PM

17seconds said:
Turn on VSync. Turn up your graphics settings, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, texture filtering, etc. Are your framerates near 60 FPS or a lot higher?

In games and normal use, Vsync on or off doesn't help. It could be during crysis 3 at 45 fps or even bioshock infinite at 100+ fps. The screen tearing and flickering is still there. Believe me, the card performs well and I max out every game outside of crysis 3/far cry 3 with a flat 60 fps. With my old 660 ti I never had an issue with tearing like this or flickering, so I know it's not my cables or monitors.

EDIT: The only time the flickering/tearing went away slightly was during a bit of 3d mark 11. However odd that may sound.
I just don't know if it's still a big driver issue with a workaround or the card is bad and I should get my money back.
Related resources
April 5, 2013 9:08:25 PM

Some people have been finding that updating their motherboard drivers has fixed some issues.
April 6, 2013 6:51:34 AM

17seconds said:
Some people have been finding that updating their motherboard drivers has fixed some issues.

This didn't fix anything, just as an FYI.

No other 7970 owners experiencing this issue?
August 27, 2013 2:24:12 AM

I have the same problem, It's a memory problem but I can't find a fix for it.
!