Sign in with
Your question

7970 flickering and screen tearing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2013 8:34:35 PM

I have a sapphire 7970 and ever since I bought it I've been getting major screen tearing and artifact flickering during web browsing, video playback, and even gaming.

After stepping up to the latest beta drivers I thought I fixed it, but the issue still remains.

My current rig is:
Asus P8Z68 V Pro
i5 3570k stock
Sapphire 7970
corsair 600w 80 plus builder edition
8gb DDR3 1600
2 Acer 23" 1080p Monitors (1 via hdmi and another with the display adaptor to convert dvi to hdmi)

I bought this card used with the option to return it. Is it a faulty card? It performs well outside of the screen tearing/flickering
April 5, 2013 8:39:13 PM

Turn on VSync. Turn up your graphics settings, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, texture filtering, etc. Are your framerates near 60 FPS or a lot higher?
m
l
April 5, 2013 8:43:48 PM

17seconds said:
Turn on VSync. Turn up your graphics settings, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, texture filtering, etc. Are your framerates near 60 FPS or a lot higher?

In games and normal use, Vsync on or off doesn't help. It could be during crysis 3 at 45 fps or even bioshock infinite at 100+ fps. The screen tearing and flickering is still there. Believe me, the card performs well and I max out every game outside of crysis 3/far cry 3 with a flat 60 fps. With my old 660 ti I never had an issue with tearing like this or flickering, so I know it's not my cables or monitors.

EDIT: The only time the flickering/tearing went away slightly was during a bit of 3d mark 11. However odd that may sound.
I just don't know if it's still a big driver issue with a workaround or the card is bad and I should get my money back.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2013 9:08:25 PM

Some people have been finding that updating their motherboard drivers has fixed some issues.
m
l
April 6, 2013 6:51:34 AM

17seconds said:
Some people have been finding that updating their motherboard drivers has fixed some issues.

This didn't fix anything, just as an FYI.

No other 7970 owners experiencing this issue?
m
l
August 27, 2013 2:24:12 AM

I have the same problem, It's a memory problem but I can't find a fix for it.
m
l
!