Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC not fully launching Windows after Mobo and CPU replacement

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 6, 2013 6:27:20 PM

I replaced my motherboard and CPU after getting some new ones.
This is the system running with the new parts:

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB)
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD
MSI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
ULTRA LSP750 750W ATX POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64bit

The problem is, the computer launches, shows the Asus motherboard splash screen then shows the screen where I want to do Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. If choose Startup Repair, it attempts then fails, so it restarts. It will restart and then give me that decision screen again, so I choose Start Windows Nomally. From here, it shows the Windows loading screen (spheres spiral together and combine screen) where it freezes, then it goes back to that SR or SWN screen again. Any help is appreciate.

Side Note: The reason I have two different sets of RAM cards running is because the new motherboard has a capacity of 32GB, and I had some extra RAM so I didn't think it'd hurt. It could be the problem.
a c 109 V Motherboard
a c 158 à CPUs
April 6, 2013 6:30:23 PM

If they are different mobo models, you need to reinstall windows as you have conflicting drivers.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2013 6:39:23 PM

yup, best thing to do is reinstall, less work and headache than eliminating each and every error that comes up
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 à CPUs
April 6, 2013 6:41:14 PM

It could just be AHCI vs IDE.

If windows was installed using one, it won't boot with the other.

Try going into your BIOS and switching the state from whatever it is to the other.

I would also simplify the RAM to just one stick, until I get this sorted out. (If it doesn't work with one particular stick try another...one at a time...with both AHCI and IDE)
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2013 7:03:32 PM

You can't just replace the motherboard and boot into the existing Windows install. Windows does not like motherboard transplants. You will need to do a reinstall of Windows.
m
0
l
April 6, 2013 7:04:34 PM

Cons29 said:
yup, best thing to do is reinstall, less work and headache than eliminating each and every error that comes up


I still have the original installation disc for when I installed Win7 Ultimate the first time. Could I reinstall using that disc?
m
0
l
April 6, 2013 7:06:44 PM

Z1NONLY said:
It could just be AHCI vs IDE.

If windows was installed using one, it won't boot with the other.

Try going into your BIOS and switching the state from whatever it is to the other.

I would also simplify the RAM to just one stick, until I get this sorted out. (If it doesn't work with one particular stick try another...one at a time...with both AHCI and IDE)


Thanks, I'll try this, if it doesn't work I'll try k1114's solution.
m
0
l
April 6, 2013 7:07:44 PM

bryonhowley said:
You can't just replace the motherboard and boot into the existing Windows install. Windows does not like motherboard transplants. You will need to do a reinstall of Windows.

Huh, this is the third mobo I've installed into the system and it's the first time for this problem to arise.
m
0
l
April 6, 2013 7:40:24 PM

k1114 said:
If they are different mobo models, you need to reinstall windows as you have conflicting drivers.


Before I reinstall Windows, will I have to reinstall the old mobo and CPU, get a drive to back up onto, reinstall new parts, then reinstall windows from installation disc?
m
0
l
a c 109 V Motherboard
a c 158 à CPUs
April 6, 2013 7:48:02 PM

If you want any of the data on it, you will need to get it off beforehand. Reinstalling formats the drive.
m
0
l
!