Buying a new Rig for gaming and video editing

Hello guys! Can you help me? I'm buying a new rig for gaming and editing, please tell me if it is okay or not. Thank you! Here's my list:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4G) 6mb 22nm
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
HARD DRIVE: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
MEMORY: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D)2x4
VIDEO CARD: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
MONITOR: 23” LG E2351VR LED 1920x1080 hdmi
CASE: RAIDMAX SUPER HURRICANE BLK USB3.0
POWER SUPPLY: CoolerMaster Extreme 525w
24 answers Last reply
More about buying rig gaming video editing
  1. POWER SUPPLY: CoolerMaster Extreme 525w change other brand sesassonic/corsair/antec
  2. Your PSU, as was pointed out, should be replaced with something reliable, and, if possible, I'd upgrade the graphics card to the best you can afford.
  3. If you're doing a lot of video editing/encoding as much as gaming, you may get more bang for your buck going to the FX 8350 from AMD, in any benchmark you find, even here on Tom's, it is substantially better at those 2 tasks than the i5-3570k and it is usually as much as $50-60 cheaper than the i5-3570k, plus AMD boards are usually a bit cheaper as well. Gaming performance between the 2 is basically the same.
  4. 8350rocks said:
    If you're doing a lot of video editing/encoding as much as gaming, you may get more bang for your buck going to the FX 8350 from AMD, in any benchmark you find, even here on Tom's, it is substantially better at those 2 tasks than the i5-3570k and it is usually as much as $50-60 cheaper than the i5-3570k, plus AMD boards are usually a bit cheaper as well. Gaming performance between the 2 is basically the same.


    That's a good point, though I'd take it with a bit of salt, coming from someone with that name. :P

    (Also, gaming performance isn't the same between the two - the i5 will be a fair bit better.)
  5. DarkSable said:
    8350rocks said:
    If you're doing a lot of video editing/encoding as much as gaming, you may get more bang for your buck going to the FX 8350 from AMD, in any benchmark you find, even here on Tom's, it is substantially better at those 2 tasks than the i5-3570k and it is usually as much as $50-60 cheaper than the i5-3570k, plus AMD boards are usually a bit cheaper as well. Gaming performance between the 2 is basically the same.


    That's a good point, though I'd take it with a bit of salt, coming from someone with that name. :P

    (Also, gaming performance isn't the same between the two - the i5 will be a fair bit better.)


    Actually, the only game out right now that tips the scales dramatically in favor of the i5 is Skyrim. All the other games are usually a toss up between the 2 in terms of FPS, and Crysis 3 and Metro 2033 actually run better on AMD (extremely heavy threading). But games like BF3 and Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 are a draw basically (either one wins by a few FPS), and Bio Shock infinite is usually about 5-10 FPS higher on AMD systems (still within margin for error of the test, but a more noticeable difference than the others listed).

    So, as I said, it's essentially a draw in gaming...unless you only play older games, at which point the i5 might make slightly more sense in gaming.
  6. DarkSable said:
    Your PSU, as was pointed out, should be replaced with something reliable, and, if possible, I'd upgrade the graphics card to the best you can afford.


    as you said, "and, if possible, I'd upgrade the graphics card to the best you can afford." I'd really appreciate if you'd suggest the one that would be best for me. :)
  7. The HD 7850 is a great GPU, if you can afford more go to the HD 7870 XT ot GHz edition (tahiti based). If you can afford into the mid-high $200s look at the HD 7950...that card is a monster.
  8. I can't give you a guaranteed answer as to what you can afford, since I don't know your budget, but as 8350rocks said, the 7870XT or the 7950 are both amazing cards, and will be the difference between medium settings and high-ultra.
  9. The price difference going AMD should free up enough money for at least the 7870. Try and get the Tahiti based ones if you can. The 8320 is also a good buy and a bit cheaper. Being an FX, it should clock similar to that of an 8350. Not knowing your full budget, it is difficult to recommend much else.
  10. hmm.. I can say I can go further to $1200-1300 for the whole rig, including the peripherals
  11. okay here's the whole rig that I've been working on my list:

    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4G) 6mb 22nm
    MOTHER BOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    HARD DRIVE: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
    MEMORY: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D)2x4
    VIDEO CARD: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
    MONITOR: 23” LG E2351VR LED 1920x1080 hdmi
    POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX series 80Plus* / Bronze 650w
    CASE: RAIDMAX SUPER HURRICANE BLK USB3.0
    KEYBOARD: Zalman K300M Multimedia Gaming Keyboard
    MOUSE: Razer Salmosa Pro
    HEADSET: Razer Electra

    this rig is ranging from $1150-$1200.
  12. Aaron James Carado said:
    okay here's the whole rig that I've been working on my list:

    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4G) 6mb 22nm
    MOTHER BOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    HARD DRIVE: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
    MEMORY: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D)2x4
    VIDEO CARD: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
    MONITOR: 23” LG E2351VR LED 1920x1080 hdmi
    POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX series 80Plus* / Bronze 650w
    CASE: RAIDMAX SUPER HURRICANE BLK USB3.0
    KEYBOARD: Zalman K300M Multimedia Gaming Keyboard
    MOUSE: Razer Salmosa Pro
    HEADSET: Razer Electra

    this rig is ranging from $1150-$1200.


    Go to the FX8320 and the Asus M5A99FX motherboard, and move up to the HD 7870XT GPU. The difference between the 8320 and the i5 intel you picked is negligible at worst. Are you diametrically opposed to AMD?
  13. 8350rocks said:
    Aaron James Carado said:
    okay here's the whole rig that I've been working on my list:

    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4G) 6mb 22nm
    MOTHER BOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    HARD DRIVE: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
    MEMORY: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D)2x4
    VIDEO CARD: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
    MONITOR: 23” LG E2351VR LED 1920x1080 hdmi
    POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX series 80Plus* / Bronze 650w
    CASE: RAIDMAX SUPER HURRICANE BLK USB3.0
    KEYBOARD: Zalman K300M Multimedia Gaming Keyboard
    MOUSE: Razer Salmosa Pro
    HEADSET: Razer Electra

    this rig is ranging from $1150-$1200.


    Go to the FX8320 and the Asus M5A99FX motherboard, and move up to the HD 7870XT GPU. The difference between the 8320 and the i5 intel you picked is negligible at worst. Are you diametrically opposed to AMD?


    No! Not at all. I have just read many articles that intel tops AMD. That's all, but as you suggested it, and I think that you have a great knowledge when it comes to this area. I can go to AMD now. Thank you!
  14. Aaron James Carado said:
    8350rocks said:
    Aaron James Carado said:
    okay here's the whole rig that I've been working on my list:

    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4G) 6mb 22nm
    MOTHER BOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    HARD DRIVE: 1.0TB Seagate Barracuda
    MEMORY: G.Skill RipJaws 8gb 1600 (12800CL9D)2x4
    VIDEO CARD: PowerColor HD7850 2gb ddr5 256bit
    MONITOR: 23” LG E2351VR LED 1920x1080 hdmi
    POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX series 80Plus* / Bronze 650w
    CASE: RAIDMAX SUPER HURRICANE BLK USB3.0
    KEYBOARD: Zalman K300M Multimedia Gaming Keyboard
    MOUSE: Razer Salmosa Pro
    HEADSET: Razer Electra

    this rig is ranging from $1150-$1200.


    Go to the FX8320 and the Asus M5A99FX motherboard, and move up to the HD 7870XT GPU. The difference between the 8320 and the i5 intel you picked is negligible at worst. Are you diametrically opposed to AMD?


    No! Not at all. I have just read many articles that intel tops AMD. That's all, but as you suggested it, and I think that you have a great knowledge when it comes to this area. I can go to AMD now. Thank you!


    No problem, you'll be in great shape and the graphics card will help
  15. Could also go with a MSI 970A-G46 and pick up a 7950 instead. ;) The Tahiti 7870's are getting harder to find.
  16. Don't you want to up your CPU spec a bit seeing video encoding/ editing software would benefit from hyper-threading? Well, if you primarily focus is on video editing that is.

    Also if you are really hardcore about editing, you might want to consider more ram.
  17. Okay,Owning both AMD and Intel Builds...go WITH THE 8350 unless you could afford an I7 for gaming the i5 and 8350 trade blows...Most games are become highly multithreaded now...Also the 8350 beats the i5 like crazy in multithreaded apps like Video Editing and 3d modeling...Single threaded apps the i5 will win but your doing Multi threaded things...Gaming and Video editing...So really in this area the 8350 is the winner here...Now if you were only gaming the 3570k would be a better choice but anytime i see a i5 vs 8350 for video rendering and gaming i have to say the 8350 is a very good choice...Its right there with the 2600k in multi threaded :) hope this has helped
  18. Echo, what in the world are you talking about? Unless you're saying that the next step up are the Xeons (which they are), then you're out of your mind.

    The i7-3770k performs EXACTLY the same as an i5-3570k for gaming, because the only difference between them is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which games don't use. So it's not "unless you could afford an i7 for gaming," it's, "what sort of work will you be doing?"

    I agree that for anything which requires double-precision compute capabilities, the 8350 is a freaking BEAST and by far the best option, value wise, but for a handful of dollars less than an i5-3570k, if the computer is going to be used mostly for gaming, intel is by far the best path to go with.
  19. DarkSable said:
    Echo, what in the world are you talking about? Unless you're saying that the next step up are the Xeons (which they are), then you're out of your mind.

    The i7-3770k performs EXACTLY the same as an i5-3570k for gaming, because the only difference between them is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which games don't use. So it's not "unless you could afford an i7 for gaming," it's, "what sort of work will you be doing?"

    I agree that for anything which requires double-precision compute capabilities, the 8350 is a freaking BEAST and by far the best option, value wise, but for a handful of dollars less than an i5-3570k, if the computer is going to be used mostly for gaming, intel is by far the best path to go with.


    Lol my bad i forgot to put a Comma...Or a period lol but it should be "Go with the 8350,Unless you can afford an i7.The i5 and 8350 trade blows."Saying that an i7 would be the optimal choice if he could afford it.But for multithreaded stuff the 8350 is the best choice for the i5 vs 8350 debate.
  20. That was my bad- I was very tired and missed that this was also for video editing, which was why I was confused about why you were recommending an i7 over an i5.
  21. DarkSable said:
    Echo, what in the world are you talking about? Unless you're saying that the next step up are the Xeons (which they are), then you're out of your mind.

    The i7-3770k performs EXACTLY the same as an i5-3570k for gaming, because the only difference between them is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which games don't use. So it's not "unless you could afford an i7 for gaming," it's, "what sort of work will you be doing?"

    I agree that for anything which requires double-precision compute capabilities, the 8350 is a freaking BEAST and by far the best option, value wise, but for a handful of dollars less than an i5-3570k, if the computer is going to be used mostly for gaming, intel is by far the best path to go with.


    There are a few exceptions to the HT rule. Crysis 3 being one of them. It seems to like more cores.
  22. everything is fine except that there are better companies for 7850!(btw you are in the wrong section)
  23. logainofhades said:
    There are a few exceptions to the HT rule. Crysis 3 being one of them. It seems to like more cores.


    Crysis 3 likes more cores, yes, but it only claims to see a benefit from hyperthreading.

    This is the most visual example: (You'll have to use google translate, it's in german.)

    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/Crysis-3-CPU-Test-SMT-FX-1058221/

    That's an i7-3770k playing Crysis 3 with no GPU bottleneck, and it has higher frames (sometimes nominally) when hyperthreading is turned off, every time.
  24. DarkSable said:
    That was my bad- I was very tired and missed that this was also for video editing, which was why I was confused about why you were recommending an i7 over an i5.


    Haha it's alright,we all have those days :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Video Editing CPUs Motherboards Processors