Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 Metro Apps Open then Closes.

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
April 7, 2013 11:41:28 AM

As the titles states, whenever i try to open a windows 8 app it opens then closes.


Ive already tried sfc /scannow and dont reallly want to refresh my windows 8 programs cuz I have alot of stuff installed. Any help?
a c 381 * Windows 8
April 7, 2013 11:04:47 PM

lreyes66 said:
As the titles states, whenever i try to open a windows 8 app it opens then closes.


Ive already tried sfc /scannow and dont reallly want to refresh my windows 8 programs cuz I have alot of stuff installed. Any help?

Sounds like a corrupt file in your OS, short of Refresh can only suggest chkdsk in the hope it finds and repairs. Run chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt, it will run when you restart windows.

m
0
l
April 8, 2013 3:38:40 PM

i figured out the problem. Its just i moved each user folder seperately to my HDD from os ssd N then created a symbolic link of appdata to the HDD.

I ended up just reinstalling the os.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 381 * Windows 8
April 8, 2013 9:55:54 PM

Correct way is to Rt click the folder, say, My Documents, in Users/Your Name and select Properties/Location Tab/Move. Then select a New Folder in your HDD that you created earlier, and OK. The contents of My Documents will be automatically moved to your HDD and New Folder will be renamed my Documents. Repeat for all other Personal Folders.
More good tips for your SSD here
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...
m
0
l
April 9, 2013 2:28:55 AM

Thats what I did. But since you cant move App data like that so i had to do a symbolic link for that one folder.


Ive seen then reinstalled windows and moved ALL my users folder with this method http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2009/05/18/how-to-mov...

Metro works like a charm now AND i got my user folder to my HDD to save my SSD space.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 381 * Windows 8
April 9, 2013 4:34:19 AM

lreyes66 said:
Thats what I did. But since you cant move App data like that so i had to do a symbolic link for that one folder.


Ive seen then reinstalled windows and moved ALL my users folder with this method http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2009/05/18/how-to-mov...

Metro works like a charm now AND i got my user folder to my HDD to save my SSD space.

Useful link, thanks. I'll be trying it myself as I run Windows from a 64Gig SSD...App data up to 3 gig already...

Share
October 5, 2013 8:28:32 AM

No. Dodger46's solution to non-working Windows 8 Apps/Tiles is way too complicated for a fix. An easy fix is needed but cannot be found so far.
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 8:30:20 AM

No. Dodger46's solution to non-working Windows 8 Apps/Tiles is way too complicated for a fix. An easy fix is needed but cannot be found so far.
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 4:55:01 AM

Try making another user account. See if metro apps work then. Saw this same problem on a co-worker's surface and she said the other account works fine.
m
0
l
April 19, 2014 12:32:13 PM

dodger46 said:
lreyes66 said:
As the titles states, whenever i try to open a windows 8 app it opens then closes.


Ive already tried sfc /scannow and dont reallly want to refresh my windows 8 programs cuz I have alot of stuff installed. Any help?

Sounds like a corrupt file in your OS, short of Refresh can only suggest chkdsk in the hope it finds and repairs. Run chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt, it will run when you restart windows.

how long does it take my computer has been saying 10% complete on drive c for over an hour?

m
0
l
!