HD 7770 Querie

Sammiches

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Howdy everyone,
After doing some research I decided to settle on buying the HD 7770 for my build. The site I am purchasing it from does however have several different models. (Sapphire, MSI, etc)
I was just wondering, would I be seeing any real performance differences between models, (of course if they weren't factory overclocked or anything like that) and what would you reccomend? They are all in the same price range so expensiveness is not an issue (is expensiveness a word?).

Thanks guys.

Solution
Yes, expensiveness is a word.

The Gigabyte model has a good cooler, while MSI and Asus are known for quality products. The Sapphire is good overall.

But they all have good coolers, reliability and quality. So my final decision, especially if they are all priced equally, is the looks :p This may not be helpful, but they are all good, really.

BTW factory OC does not mean anything, and sometimes they are the ones with bad chips. What matters is the quality of the silicon of the GPU, and this is always a hit and miss, kind of like a lucky chance.

As always, please consider selecting my answer as the solution if it has helped. Thanks :)

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yes, expensiveness is a word.

The Gigabyte model has a good cooler, while MSI and Asus are known for quality products. The Sapphire is good overall.

But they all have good coolers, reliability and quality. So my final decision, especially if they are all priced equally, is the looks :p This may not be helpful, but they are all good, really.

BTW factory OC does not mean anything, and sometimes they are the ones with bad chips. What matters is the quality of the silicon of the GPU, and this is always a hit and miss, kind of like a lucky chance.

As always, please consider selecting my answer as the solution if it has helped. Thanks :)

Solution

Sammiches

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Cheers. I've decided to go with the MSI version as it has nice reviews about its cooling, and the last gpu I managed to melt by overplaying and it overheated :3. As for looks, that is not a worry or necessity as my case isn't exactly a case designed to flaunt around flashy stuff.

ARICH5

Distinguished

your the goofball that says 80+ ratings are worthless aren't you? tell ya what. until our electrical engineers with c++ and Stanford professors on this board chime in, I might believe you. until then don't give poor recommendations. msi are garbage.

ARICH5

Distinguished

be that as it may. stop giving recomedations based on what you believe and what the general public believes. im calling you out and im sorry for hijacking this thread. there are exactly 2 websites on the interwebs that peddle this crap. 1 being ocp and another loser site. ocp is known for biaesd opinins. and almost all of the editors are involved in deepnet. that being said 98% agree on this board that 80+ is a deciding factor in psu decisions. don't troll here and don't give bad advice. go to the neweeg forums and infect them there. this is a international website. with many opinions,.go away.

stop giving recomedations based on what you believe and what the general public believes
What else should I give them based on? What a dice says? The RaidMax website?

there are exactly 2 websites on the interwebs that peddle this crap. 1 being ocp and another loser site. ocp is known for biaesd opinins
Either the general public is on my side or it isn't. If it is then more than two websites should agree.

and almost all of the editors are involved in deepnet.
Huh? Where did you get that idea? All I can find about deepnet is that it's a web browser last updated in 2006 made by microsoft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepnet_Explorer

that being said 98% agree on this board that 80+ is a deciding factor in psu decisions.
And 94.5% of statistics are made up on the spot. Sure, it's a nice feature. I've been saying that all along. But I wouldn't say it's the only factor.

don't troll here
Exactly how am I trolling? I'm putting forward what I consider to be a perfectly valid point of view, and explaining why I hold it. You're the one who's attempting to discredit me.

go to the neweeg forums and infect them there
First of all, what is this "neweeg"? Infect them with what? Logic?

this is a international website.
So? What does that have to do with how valid 80PLUS ratings are as a sole measure of PSU quality? Also, does New Zealand count as "international" It's certainly not where THG is hosted.

with many opinions
Which means I should be allowed to express mine, right? Also how does this fit with the whole "98% agree" thing?
Or are we censoring any views which don't agree with yours? Oops, shouldn't have said that, here come the KGB.

.go away.
Isn't that like admitting I won the debate? Plus it's a bit troubling to have someone tell me my opinions aren't valid because of where I live.

By the way, that "Shift" key is there for a reason. It makes your posts somewhat easier to read.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
power supplies have always been a hot topic. there have always been good ones, bad ones, ones that don't meet spec but claim to and the stuff in between. Problem is people want to assume there builds or prebuilts rigs are up to par for more then they were designed for. Add the previously mentioned sub-par parts and its no wonder things are always so heated. I always buy quality PSU because its the heart of any rig. if there is any place to overkill the PSU is it. Problem is hardly anyone does or knows to. yeah you can spout seasonic, xfx, corsair , or pc power and cooling all day but for many folks i help they can or won't go there. So this is exactly why when make recommendations for other people's rigs i think it is best to conservative, follow manufacturer specification recommendations.

anyways i can see arich5 is getting at. as for the FUD about other sites...i have no idea to be honest but i can say this i would like to see folks make more sane recommendations rather then tell an OP what they want to hear.