Difference between ATX and extended ATX? Best CPU for gaming build, 3770k or 3820?

Hi just wondering when buying a new motherboard, whats the difference between extended atx and atx, and can i fit an extended in my case if it says atx? It will determine whether i get a new case or not?

Also, wanting to make my comp a hardcore gaming machine and am just wondering if its better to buy a 3770k now and therefore a 1155 socket motherboard, or if its wise to future proof and get the nearly same 3820 on the 2011 motherboards, for future proofing purposes and all that jazz?

Would love if someone shed some light on this for me.
Cheers
17 answers Last reply
More about difference atx extended atx cpu gaming build 3770k 3820
  1. Extended ATX is like ATX... But extended. Just like micro ATX is ATX but smaller. You can't put an EATX board in an ATX case just like you wouldn't stick an ATX board in a mATX case.

    Neither of the CPUs you list make any sense for gaming
  2. What cpu would you recommend for gaming then? And sounds like ill need a new case then too :(
  3. ChaseTheSun said:
    Hi just wondering when buying a new motherboard, whats the difference between extended atx and atx, and can i fit an extended in my case if it says atx? It will determine whether i get a new case or not?

    Also, wanting to make my comp a hardcore gaming machine and am just wondering if its better to buy a 3770k now and therefore a 1155 socket motherboard, or if its wise to future proof and get the nearly same 3820 on the 2011 motherboards, for future proofing purposes and all that jazz?

    Would love if someone shed some light on this for me.
    Cheers


    EATX is larger and will have more features,
    if your just gaming get the 3570k and a z77 mb For future proofing!
  4. SuperGamerBoy said:
    ChaseTheSun said:
    Hi just wondering when buying a new motherboard, whats the difference between extended atx and atx, and can i fit an extended in my case if it says atx? It will determine whether i get a new case or not?

    Also, wanting to make my comp a hardcore gaming machine and am just wondering if its better to buy a 3770k now and therefore a 1155 socket motherboard, or if its wise to future proof and get the nearly same 3820 on the 2011 motherboards, for future proofing purposes and all that jazz?

    Would love if someone shed some light on this for me.
    Cheers


    EATX is larger and will have more features,
    if your just gaming get the 3570k and a z77 mb For future proofing!


    So how does getting a z77 mb help for future proofing instead of the 2011?
  5. ChaseTheSun said:
    SuperGamerBoy said:
    ChaseTheSun said:
    Hi just wondering when buying a new motherboard, whats the difference between extended atx and atx, and can i fit an extended in my case if it says atx? It will determine whether i get a new case or not?

    Also, wanting to make my comp a hardcore gaming machine and am just wondering if its better to buy a 3770k now and therefore a 1155 socket motherboard, or if its wise to future proof and get the nearly same 3820 on the 2011 motherboards, for future proofing purposes and all that jazz?

    Would love if someone shed some light on this for me.
    Cheers


    EATX is larger and will have more features,
    if your just gaming get the 3570k and a z77 mb For future proofing!


    So how does getting a z77 mb help for future proofing instead of the 2011?


    For gaming You will see no diff bettween 3570k 3770k and 3820. Get a lga 1155 z77 mb for overclocking and hence future proofing.
  6. And the 3820 performs worse in games against 3570k
  7. Get an i5 3570k and an AsRock Z77 Extreme4, overclock the cpu to around 4.2-4.5ghz and you'll be fine for performance in games. Haswell is not going to be released on LGA 1155, so you're not really 'future proofing' by getting a Z77 CPU, but the i5 3570k should handle games well enough. And a case needs to state E-ATX in the form factor specifications in order to handle an E-ATX motherboard, but getting the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 will fit in almost any mid/full-tower case.
  8. Thank you for the help everyone. Ill definitely go for either the 3570k or the 3770k then. As i will probably overclock it, whats the best cooler to get for it? I was looking at the prefilled corsair h80i or should i just go a heatsink with a fan? Also, for the motherboard, i was also looking at the asus maximus 5 extreme, is it just as good as the asrock?
  9. I meant by using the z77 you could overclock the cpu and so it can be used for a longer time.
  10. Corsair H80i is a decent cooler, personally I would get a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler, since it has very similar performance and I generally prefer air coolers > water cooling loops. That said, the noctua is ugly. You could check out the phanteks equivalent (phanteks ph-tc14pe) which has various colours.
    Maximus V Extreme... Same performance as the Asrock board in almost anything. The Maximus V Extreme is designed for really heavy overclockers, and while it may offer more features, the average gaming consumer would not use any of them. The extra features don't really justify the extra amount of money for the board (which is a lot), and the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is a lot more practical. Looks? I must say the Maximus looks a lot better, but don't go buying a mobo for those reasons.


    SuperGamerBoy said:
    I meant by using the z77 you could overclock the cpu and so it can be used for a longer time.

    True, there's no reason not to overclock, especially with how easy it is nowadays.
  11. ChaseTheSun said:
    Thank you for the help everyone. Ill definitely go for either the 3570k or the 3770k then. As i will probably overclock it, whats the best cooler to get for it? I was looking at the prefilled corsair h80i or should i just go a heatsink with a fan? Also, for the motherboard, i was also looking at the asus maximus 5 extreme, is it just as good as the asrock?


    Are You sure You want to take the risk with water cooking? The Asus Maximus V extreme should be better than the asrock one.
  12. 2wenty said:
    Corsair H80i is a decent cooler, personally I would get a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler, since it has very similar performance and I generally prefer air coolers > water cooling loops. That said, the noctua is ugly. You could check out the phanteks equivalent (phanteks ph-tc14pe) which has various colours.
    Maximus V Extreme... Same performance as the Asrock board in almost anything. The Maximus V Extreme is designed for really heavy overclockers, and while it may offer more features, the average gaming consumer would not use any of them. The extra features don't really justify the extra amount of money for the board (which is a lot), and the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is a lot more practical. Looks? I must say the Maximus looks a lot better, but don't go buying a mobo for those reasons.


    SuperGamerBoy said:
    I meant by using the z77 you could overclock the cpu and so it can be used for a longer time.

    True, there's no reason not to overclock, especially with how easy it is nowadays.


    I would recommend maybe taking a look at :the new MSI gaming boards ,MSI big bang Mpower,and the Asus boards as well . And you cant really compare performances of boards the difference they ake is so small it is negligible.so look at featurues and see what you need and then make your decision.
  13. I was only willing to risk the water cooling as it was prefilled and there are no hoses or clamps to come lose. So MSI is good as well? Everyone seems to scream for ASRock lol
  14. ASRock isn't bad they have had issues with BIOS before but i think the have been fixed.From what i've heard Asus mobos are generally the most trouble free.but as i mentioned in the earlier post look at the features you need and want and then choose a mobo then look at some reviews of it to see some possible issues.
  15. ASRock boards are generally quite reliable, and they have good customer service. The Asus P8Z77-V boards are also great, along with Gigabyte's Z77X-UD5H and UD3H boards. Up to you.
  16. 2wenty said:
    ASRock boards are generally quite reliable, and they have good customer service. The Asus P8Z77-V boards are also great, along with Gigabyte's Z77X-UD5H and UD3H boards. Up to you.

    +1 and also check out the new MSI gaming boards they seem good too
  17. ChaseTheSun said:
    What cpu would you recommend for gaming then? And sounds like ill need a new case then too :(


    i7 3770k for 3rd gen its what i have and i believe from the knowlegde i have its the best i7 3rd gen thanks to the k=overclocked
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems