FX 8320 Running Hot and Loud

G

My new FX 8320 has been giving me a lot of issues lately. When I do a simple task (such as watching a video or livestream), the CPU temps go up to 45-50c and fan RPM ramps up to 4500-5000, and while gaming I get 6000 RPM and 60c!! This is really tough because I just installed Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste yesterday. Anyone have any thoughts about this? (I idle at about 35c and about 4000 RPM on stock CPU fan) My main issue isn't so much the temps as the noise from the fan. If anyone could tell me how to make the fan quieter or recommend me a better fan that'd be great :D.

Solution
I haven't had direct experience with the FX chips to know whether you're describing normal behaviour, or whether something is not quite right. I do know that you have a hot, loud chip though!
A CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is a pretty cheap cooler that's widely recommended. It should keep you down quite a few degrees and run much quieter. The Noctua NH-D14 is cooler and quieter again, but is probably overkill unless you want to OC that CPU.
I assume you've followed the basic steps for replacing the paste on your cooler? Use alcohol to remove the old paste and make sure you don't put too much on?
I haven't had direct experience with the FX chips to know whether you're describing normal behaviour, or whether something is not quite right. I do know that you have a hot, loud chip though!
A CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is a pretty cheap cooler that's widely recommended. It should keep you down quite a few degrees and run much quieter. The Noctua NH-D14 is cooler and quieter again, but is probably overkill unless you want to OC that CPU.
I assume you've followed the basic steps for replacing the paste on your cooler? Use alcohol to remove the old paste and make sure you don't put too much on?

Solution
Your results are normal for a stock CPU cooler which is why I always replace them even for offices.

*Read your motherboard manual for how it controls the CPU SPEED. Most modern motherboards use PWM control (used to be Voltage). For example, I installed my Noctua NH-D14 on my new Z77 motherboard and the fans simply run at 100% because they aren't PWM fans.

Checklist:
1) got to NCIX Canadian site for a good list of compatible coolers (you don't have to buy there, it's just well organized. I can't link because it auto-detects your country. Go to www.ncix.com then change to Canada (.ca).

2) spend $20 to $50

3) PWM fan on cooler (if that's what your motherboard uses)

4) Enable Fan control in BIOS

5) Download and setup fan control software (motherboard support site)

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I got an 8350 and i idle around same temps but at about 2000 rpm, on stock cooler, did you apply too much thermal paste? try clean it off and re-apply.

Edit: I ran msi kombuster for a little bit, instead of streaming fan rpm doesn't go over 3000 max generally 2500 at 20% load

His CPU temp is also going to be affected by how good his case cooling is and his ambient room temperature.

One thing many gamers forget is how important a front intake fan is for case cooling. These are typical fans for a gaming PC:
1) Front intake
2) top/top-rear exhaust
3) CPU fan
4) Power Supply fan
5) graphics card fan/fans

Generally, the air flow should come in from the front/bottom and travel towards the top/rear.

Yep - between the fact that you're on a stock cooler and that AMD uses more voltage, and thus produces more heat, you're getting about what I'd expect. It was actually part of the deciding factor for intel v. amd, for me - I'd much rather have a computer that doesn't heat up the room, as I live in the desert and get enough of that already.

cleevondeath

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I'm running the same chip with a Gelid GX7 CPU cooler (With 2 fans attached and more fans in my case that I know what to do with, I'm using the Arctic Silver as well and I'm running the same temperatures, I needed to put the CPU fans on Turbo to run the chip at the same level. Its a newer chip and I've replaced the thermal paste 3X already. I think overclocking this chip is not meant to be.