Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

hyperx PnP 1600 memory only works at 533mhz

Last response: in Memory
Share
April 9, 2013 11:57:35 AM

Hy everybody,

I just received my HyperX 2x4Gb memory 1600Mhz:
204pin
2x 4096MB
1,5 Volt
DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
9-9-9

but CPU-Z shows me a frequency of 533Mhz !! :( 


Do you know why is it detected as 800Mhz and works at 533mhz, while it should be at least at 1333Mhz ? :p  (see below)

Link to CPU-z summary : http://valid.canardpc.com/2763679
More details:

My laptop is a Sony VAIO vpceb36ff with a 1st gen Core i3, this is CPU-z report :

Chipset
Northbridge Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge rev. 02
Southbridge Intel HM55 rev. 05
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 8192 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
Memory Frequency 532.1 MHz (4:16)
CAS# latency (CL) 6.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 6
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 86
Command Rate (CR) 1T
MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000
MCHBAR I/O Size 4096

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 8)
Number of threads 4 (max 16)
Name Intel Core i3 370M
Codename Arrandale
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 989 rPGA (0x4)
CPUID 6.5.5
Extended CPUID 6.25
Core Stepping K0
Technology 32 nm
TDP Limit 25 Watts
Core Speed 931.3 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 7.0 x 133.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 2394.7 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
FID/VID Control yes

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR3
Module format SO-DIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-12800H (800 MHz) :'( 
Part number KHX1600C9S3/4GX
Serial number 3028F9C4
Manufacturing date Week 51/Year 12
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 5.0-5-5-15-22 @ 444 MHz
JEDEC #2 6.0-6-6-18-26 @ 533 MHz
JEDEC #3 7.0-7-7-21-30 @ 622 MHz
JEDEC #4 8.0-8-8-24-35 @ 711 MHz
JEDEC #5 9.0-9-9-27-39 @ 800 MHz
JEDEC #6 10.0-10-10-30-43 @ 888 MHz
JEDEC #7 11.0-11-11-33-48 @ 977 MHz


DIMM # 2
SMBus address 0x52
Memory type DDR3
Module format SO-DIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-12800H (800 MHz)
Part number KHX1600C9S3/4GX
Serial number 3228E3C4
Manufacturing date Week 51/Year 12
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 5.0-5-5-15-22 @ 444 MHz
JEDEC #2 6.0-6-6-18-26 @ 533 MHz
JEDEC #3 7.0-7-7-21-30 @ 622 MHz
JEDEC #4 8.0-8-8-24-35 @ 711 MHz
JEDEC #5 9.0-9-9-27-39 @ 800 MHz
JEDEC #6 10.0-10-10-30-43 @ 888 MHz
JEDEC #7 11.0-11-11-33-48 @ 977 MHz


Thank you in advance,
a b } Memory
April 9, 2013 12:04:46 PM

As many laptop Bios are limited it may or may not have a setting in it to adjust the ram frequency. Try to check the Bios and see if there is an adjustment to up the frequency. IF not then the system has set it to the maximum speed for ram that it can handle.
m
0
l
April 9, 2013 12:09:07 PM

bgunner said:
As many laptop Bios are limited it may or may not have a setting in it to adjust the ram frequency. Try to check the Bios and see if there is an adjustment to up the frequency. IF not then the system has set it to the maximum speed for ram that it can handle.


Thanks but: There is no option in the Bios, HM55 should run it at minimum of 1333Mhz according to many websites, and other people on internet say they could run it at 1600Mhz even with a motherboard as old as mine.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 9, 2013 12:14:57 PM

even though the motherboard can handle it if the Options are not there in the Bios this is the max it can be set to. The spec sheet even has a limit to how fast the ram will run. have a look at this link. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcea36fg

This specifically says Installed/Maximum then for ram it has 1066Mhz. this means the max ram speed it will run is 1066Mhz
m
0
l
April 9, 2013 12:53:02 PM

bgunner said:
even though the motherboard can handle it if the Options are not there in the Bios this is the max it can be set to. The spec sheet even has a limit to how fast the ram will run. have a look at this link. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcea36fg

This specifically says Installed/Maximum then for ram it has 1066Mhz. this means the max ram speed it will run is 1066Mhz


Thanks

I would be happy if I could use it at 1066Mhz, 530Mhz is too low ! The RAM that was installed in my computer out of box was 1333Mhz, but I didn't check its speed before removing it.
I rebooted with Ubuntu 32bit and tried to find out the ram frequency but none of the utilities and commands returned the speed of the ram, they all fail.
When I received this RAM, the seal was broken, it has clearly been opened before being sent to me. But my flatmate accepted the package before I came home, and also I was thinking, ether it works perfectly or it doesn't. Do you think that a RAM memory can have a disfunctioning such as it works at low speed ?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 9, 2013 12:57:43 PM

anasfeelgood said:
bgunner said:
even though the motherboard can handle it if the Options are not there in the Bios this is the max it can be set to. The spec sheet even has a limit to how fast the ram will run. have a look at this link. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcea36fg

This specifically says Installed/Maximum then for ram it has 1066Mhz. this means the max ram speed it will run is 1066Mhz


Thanks

I would be happy if I could use it at 1066Mhz, 530Mhz is too low ! The RAM that was installed in my computer out of box was 1333Mhz, but I didn't check its speed before removing it.
I rebooted with Ubuntu 32bit and tried to find out the ram frequency but none of the utilities and commands returned the speed of the ram, they all fail.
When I received this RAM, the seal was broken, it has clearly been opened before being sent to me. But my flatmate accepted the package before I came home, and also I was thinking, ether it works perfectly or it doesn't. Do you think that a RAM memory can have a disfunctioning such as it works at low speed ?


no no no because ram is double data rate it is 533*2. 533 x 2 = 1066. you are running 1066 MHz for ram.
Share
April 9, 2013 1:04:55 PM

bgunner said:
anasfeelgood said:
bgunner said:
even though the motherboard can handle it if the Options are not there in the Bios this is the max it can be set to. The spec sheet even has a limit to how fast the ram will run. have a look at this link. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcea36fg

This specifically says Installed/Maximum then for ram it has 1066Mhz. this means the max ram speed it will run is 1066Mhz


Thanks

I would be happy if I could use it at 1066Mhz, 530Mhz is too low ! The RAM that was installed in my computer out of box was 1333Mhz, but I didn't check its speed before removing it.
I rebooted with Ubuntu 32bit and tried to find out the ram frequency but none of the utilities and commands returned the speed of the ram, they all fail.
When I received this RAM, the seal was broken, it has clearly been opened before being sent to me. But my flatmate accepted the package before I came home, and also I was thinking, ether it works perfectly or it doesn't. Do you think that a RAM memory can have a disfunctioning such as it works at low speed ?


no no no because ram is double data rate it is 533*2. 533 x 2 = 1066. you are running 1066 MHz for ram.


oookeeey
I see,
So my ram is detected as 800Mhz, but run at only 1066Mhz because of my hardware limitation
mmm

Thanks

My sister has a last gen computer with 8Gb 1333Mhz RAM, I think I'll exchange my RAM with her, so that she can use it at its full power.

Thanks again :D 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
April 9, 2013 1:09:24 PM

Your welcome. That's why we are here. ;) 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
April 9, 2013 1:12:00 PM

anasfeelgood said:
bgunner said:
anasfeelgood said:
bgunner said:
even though the motherboard can handle it if the Options are not there in the Bios this is the max it can be set to. The spec sheet even has a limit to how fast the ram will run. have a look at this link. http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcea36fg

This specifically says Installed/Maximum then for ram it has 1066Mhz. this means the max ram speed it will run is 1066Mhz


Thanks

I would be happy if I could use it at 1066Mhz, 530Mhz is too low ! The RAM that was installed in my computer out of box was 1333Mhz, but I didn't check its speed before removing it.
I rebooted with Ubuntu 32bit and tried to find out the ram frequency but none of the utilities and commands returned the speed of the ram, they all fail.
When I received this RAM, the seal was broken, it has clearly been opened before being sent to me. But my flatmate accepted the package before I came home, and also I was thinking, ether it works perfectly or it doesn't. Do you think that a RAM memory can have a disfunctioning such as it works at low speed ?


no no no because ram is double data rate it is 533*2. 533 x 2 = 1066. you are running 1066 MHz for ram.


oookeeey
I see,
So my ram is detected as 800Mhz, but run at only 1066Mhz because of my hardware limitation
mmm

Thanks

My sister has a last gen computer with 8Gb 1333Mhz RAM, I think I'll exchange my RAM with her, so that she can use it at its full power.

Thanks again :D 


Just remember laptop ram and Desktop ram is not compatible with each other. I only mention this because you said computer and not laptop. good luck
m
0
l
!