Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Internet Slow Speeds

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 9, 2013 5:18:38 PM



Today I bought a Google Nexus 10 and stopped by Comcast to get Internet hooked back up. It's been awhile since Ive had high-speed Internet but I got a Promo since I have TV with them offering me $24.99 a month for up to 15-20mbps download speeds. It's originally $49.95. 

I stopped by there and showed them the paper and she started typing on the computer. She told me I could get it cheaper by upgrading my TV service to Digital Preferred so I qualify for Xfinity Double-Play. I'd be paying about $20 instead of the $24.99 + modem rental, taxes, etc.. I told her that's fine. 

Now I'm home and I've been running a few SpeedTest tests and my results are pretty bad. I get about 13-15 ping but my download speed is around 1mbps and upload is 3mbps. 

Is this just a connectivity bottleneck with the tablet? I have desktop parts coming in at the end of the month and I don't want these speeds on my gaming rig. 

So is this a tablet issue or what? I'm also getting the same results on my iPhone. I have no laptop or desktop to test with right now. I've refreshed the signal and have tried everything besides calling customer service yet. 

The lady could of been like "it's cheaper but you will be getting 3G speeds."

What do I do now? Cancel and ask for the other offer? I've never had an issue like this before with Comcast.  


The modem is some Motorola soda stained box.

I bought a Belkin router at Walmart. The speed says "Up To 300 (2.4GHz)"

More about : internet slow speeds

April 9, 2013 5:33:50 PM

Sounds like it could be both a router and a tablet issue. Belkin routers are basically junk they are worse than any other router I have ever used so I avoid that brand like the plague. It could be that you have a lot of wireless interference with the 2.4ghz range such as a microwave, phones, etc...

It might even be the range at which you are trying to use the tablet or iphone, and or it could even be the tablet/phone have a weak wifi signal or chip in it.

Try hooking it up wired and see if you get your advertised speeds otherwise I would blame router settings/ the router itself.
m
0
l
April 9, 2013 5:37:23 PM

mightymaxio said:
Sounds like it could be both a router and a tablet issue. Belkin routers are basically junk they are worse than any other router I have ever used so I avoid that brand like the plague. It could be that you have a lot of wireless interference with the 2.4ghz range such as a microwave, phones, etc...

Try hooking it up wired and see if you get your advertised speeds otherwise I would blame router settings/ the router itself.





What would you suggest <$70?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 9, 2013 5:37:48 PM

yeah i would too recommend a hard line to the router
m
0
l
April 9, 2013 5:40:32 PM

cbrunnem said:
yeah i would too recommend a hard line to the router


How could I do that with a Nexus or iPhone?

Would it matter if I used my Dad's laptop being its 3-4 years old?
m
0
l

Best solution

April 9, 2013 5:40:56 PM

I would recommend a netgear for that price range which you can pickup at bestbuy or walmart.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Ban...;jsessionid=3C8B03B695A2E2AA6F5F531BF11534E4.bbolsp-app03-122?id=1218234872989&skuId=1208844
Share
April 9, 2013 7:15:11 PM

mightymaxio said:
I would recommend a netgear for that price range which you can pickup at bestbuy or walmart.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Ban...;jsessionid=3C8B03B695A2E2AA6F5F531BF11534E4.bbolsp-app03-122?id=1218234872989&skuId=1208844



You guys are life savers. I just picked up the Netgear High Performance N600.

My ping is now 12ms. Download is 23.22Mbps and upload is 3.68Mbps.
m
0
l
!