2004 PC died. New one on a budget

yorksir

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hello everyone.

Since my mobo died on me, I need another pc. Going a budget route with the possibility of upgrading. Hoping to salvage some parts from my old pc. I am a complete noob to building pc's though so I am coming here 1st for advise.

Here is the list that I have come up with so far:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP! Not needed right away but would like to take care of this now while I have time (on vacation from work, 4 more days)

Budget Range: $300 - $325

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz

Graphics card: Asus GeForce GT 630 2GB

Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066

Storage: (salvaged) Western Digital 160GB WD1600AAJS
(salvaged) Seagate 80 GB ST3808110AS
Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" SSD

Optical drive: (salvaged) LG DVD Burner

Power Supply: (salvaged) Kingwin ABT-5200MM

case: Fractal Design core 1000

The processor is AM3 while the mobo is AM3+ from what I understand AM3+ mobos are backward compatible with AM3 processors. May consider upgrading the processor at a later date. May consider upgrading the video card later too.

I am not planning to overclock at all, never have in the past either.

Call me stubborn but was looking to purchase a copy of windows xp. I know there are a lot of limitations such as the video card directx 11 not working but if directx 9 will work, thats fine with me.

Pretty much just looking to see if the build I put together will work or not.

yorksir

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. Did a quick search on google on "psu life" and the 1st couple pages basically stated average 7 years. So, yea. I will definately look into a power supply.

While we are on that topic though, the kingwin I am replacing was 520W that is probably overkill for this new build. I've used a couple of calculators online and it seems like a PSU of 350W would be fine. What do you think.

yorksir

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
So, update. Probably should let you guys know what I intend to do on it. Basically;

3d Modelling with small animations
nothing "lifelike" so no heavy textures.

Flash animation and coding.
flash games.. YAY!!!

Watching online videos like streaming anime.

Basic internet surfing.

Also will be using an ethernet connection from a wireless router (oximoron huh :)

Now mind you, I know this build is in know way a super gaming machine but consider that I was doing all of this on a 2004 machine up until about a month ago.

While we are at it, the old machine I had consisted of:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2
Graphics: Asus EN7600GSSilent
Memory: (4)Geil 512MB PC3200 DDR400

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Nice 350W would be fine, but it won't allow you any upgrades in the future. Stronger CPU and better GPU will lead you to 450W+. So you can buy something like Corsair CX500 or stronger/better and have some room for future upgrades.

You can run your old PSU for some time more, but main concern to me is that it does not has any kind of protection inside, so if it dies, it can damage mobo or GPU or drives.