Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Deciding on which ssd i shoud buy for the msi gt70

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 11, 2013 10:48:33 AM

Im soon buying the msi gaming laptop and before i buy it i want to buy an ssd and test use it for a while because ive read there have been many people receiving bad ssd's so i want to ask Toms Community which is the best ssd i can buy.... price doesnt matter
a b G Storage
April 11, 2013 11:38:19 AM

Jonathan Reynoso said:
Im soon buying the msi gaming laptop and before i buy it i want to buy an ssd and test use it for a while because ive read there have been many people receiving bad ssd's so i want to ask Toms Community which is the best ssd i can buy.... price doesnt matter

I have been using Samsung 840 250GB SSDs and have had no issues at all. Thoroughly impressed. Just remember to turn off indexing for that drive. Let the drive's firmware handle all housekeeping tasks.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
April 11, 2013 12:28:06 PM

Samsung 840 Pro seems to be the going answer on these boards lately. Typically anything from Intel or Crucial too.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 11, 2013 6:56:33 PM

Do NOT get a Samsung 840 Pro (I made this mistake with my GT70). The GT70 uses an mSATA drive, not a 2.5" drive. There is not a difference in performance between the two, but mSATA drives are a LOT smaller and a 2.5" drive like the 840 Pro won't fit.

After some research I went with Mushkin Atlas Deluxe, which was (and I think still is) on sale on newegg.
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 6:58:36 PM

Also, the GT70 allows you to RAID two mSATA SSD's together, so if you feel like really splurging you could get two 256GB mSATA drives (or two 512GB drives, if you REALLY feel like splurging) and RAID them to essentially double your speeds.
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:01:38 PM

Adamah said:
Do NOT get a Samsung 840 Pro (I made this mistake with my GT70). The GT70 uses an mSATA drive, not a 2.5" drive. There is not a difference in performance between the two, but mSATA drives are a LOT smaller and a 2.5" drive like the 840 Pro won't fit.

After some research I went with Mushkin Atlas Deluxe, which was (and I think still is) on sale on newegg.


but i could put on the sata drive side because it holds two hard drive space.. ?????
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:05:45 PM

Yes, but it's not a good idea. The secondary bay is only SATAII, meaning you can only get 3Gb/s on it. The primary bay is SATAIII so you can get 6Gb/s. That means that if you put a Samsung 840 Pro in the secondary bay, it would only be going about half as fast as its optimal speed. You're better off just buying a mSATA card and putting it in the primary bay.
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:07:49 PM

Adamah said:
Yes, but it's not a good idea. The secondary bay is only SATAII, meaning you can only get 3Gb/s on it. The primary bay is SATAIII so you can get 6Gb/s. That means that if you put a Samsung 840 Pro in the secondary bay, it would only be going about half as fast as its optimal speed. You're better off just buying a mSATA card and putting it in the primary bay.


ohhhh waowww i had nooo idea about that. wells thanks man so which one do you think i should get for it
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:11:17 PM

No idea. There aren't many options in the mSATA market. I went with Mushkin Atlas Deluxe 240GB for $210.
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:23:02 PM

Yup.
m
0
l
April 11, 2013 7:23:39 PM

Which version of the GT70 did you get? Does it come with a SSD already included?
m
0
l

Best solution

April 11, 2013 7:27:40 PM

You should probably wait until you get it before deciding which SSD to get. Open it up and see if it takes mSATA or 2.5". This version may be different than mine.
Share
April 11, 2013 7:30:49 PM

Adamah said:
You should probably wait until you get it before deciding which SSD to get. Open it up and see if it takes mSATA or 2.5". This version may be different than mine.


oh ok no problem. thanks man for the help i appreciate it :) . you save me from wasting $250 for the ssd. ill just wait untill i receive the laptop. thank you very much
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
April 12, 2013 7:08:53 PM

Can always get a normal ssd, put it in the sata3 hdd bay and move the hdd to the sata2 bay.
m
0
l
!