Sign in with
Your question

7880 Weird Problem

April 11, 2013 12:07:35 PM

So heres the problem that I am experiencing:
I had purchased the XFX 7870 DD overclocked edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150606
And I was having issues with it such as I would wake the computer from the monitor being in a black screen saver and I would get a signal but it would just stay a black screen and if I unplugged my DVI cable and plugged it back in it would come back alive but say that the display driver crashed. And also at random times it would crash and have the sound loop and then reboot. I tried reformatting my computer thinking that it could be a simple driver issue it didn't help same issues.

So I decided to RMA the card and so I did and I exchanged it for an Asus 7870 Direct CUII http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121649 and I installed it all was fine for about 5-10 minutes or so of basic web browsing and so I went to run Ungine Valley Benchmark and the card and as soon as it loaded to start the benchmark I get the sound loop and the screen just went blank.

I then turned the computer off and then back on figuring I was dealing with the same issue and It would come right back on and be fine for a little while but this time I don't get any beeps or any signal to my monitor or anything it just stays black. Tried using an HDMI cable and DVI still both the same results. So now the computer is basically dead when this card is installed. I also even tried installing it on a different system and nothing at all happens the same black screen and no signal to the monitor.

Is there any solutions of what I can try? I don't think this is a driver issue anymore because the problem is before the OS and it doesn't work on a different computer.

I put in from the other computer a 6870 and I have no problems at all. It boots right up. I also updated my bios and no difference.

My specs are:

Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 1090t
Corsair TX850M Power Supply
2-4GB of Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Ram
120GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
500 GB Western Digital Caviar Black
LiteOn DVD/CD Burner

Does anyone know if there is any way to reset the GPU bios or anything on the card itself without having to be on the computer itself seeing since I don't have an option to boot with that card installed? I am stuck on what else to try here if there is even anything more to try. I have seen many people with issues with black screening this card but none that are not able to boot with black screen like mine.

More about : 7880 weird problem

!