Hearing a high pitched whine from computer?

hello, whenever i turn on my pc i hear this very odd, and unhealthy sounding high pitched whine, going up and down in pitch. a little after booting into windows it can die down, or stop, but if i was to start up a game, it starts up again, getting much louder, and sounding very bad, as it changes pitch. i have also started to get game crashes in the past day or two, and wanted some help. ive had no system crashes, only crashing to desktop from games, and i wondered what it could be. my main thoughts are either PSU or HDD, but wanted some input from you guys. i have also been experiencing some odd flashes in games, like graphical glitches, but that could be me over thinking it. i'd be grateful for any advice! thanks a lot!
my specs:
Ram: 1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.5v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with Corsair.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor £155
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard £80
Graphics Card: MSI HD 7870 Black Knight OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [R7870-2GD5T/OC] £180
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive £40
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case £40
PSU:600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply £50
DVD burner: Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE Black 18x SATA DVD ROM - OEM £10
OS: windows 7 home premium
10 answers Last reply
More about hearing high pitched whine computer
  1. Sounds like the fan on your video card or cpu. Games use more power, fan goes faster but not working right, get graphic glitches would point to the graphics fan.

    I guess I would open up my pc and listen for the noise is coming from. Can only be so many spots.
  2. getochkn said:
    Sounds like the fan on your video card or cpu. Games use more power, fan goes faster but not working right, get graphic glitches would point to the graphics fan.

    I guess I would open up my pc and listen for the noise is coming from. Can only be so many spots.


    would that cause games to crash though? temps have been getting higher recently on my cpu and gpu, but at max only about 66C's when gaming
  3. based on your description, the first thing i'd check is the GPU fan and GPU temp.
  4. Branden said:
    based on your description, the first thing i'd check is the GPU fan and GPU temp.


    yeah temps have raised a little but the max has been about 66C. but again, i dont know really how i would check if the fan was working, and whether the fan would cause the game crashes?
  5. Branden said:
    based on your description, the first thing i'd check is the GPU fan and GPU temp.


    yeah temps have raised a little but the max has been about 66C. but again, i dont know really how i would check if the fan was working, and whether the fan would cause the game crashes?
  6. Open your case, listen for the noise, pin point it. There is only a few fans in there, can't be hard.
  7. getochkn said:
    Open your case, listen for the noise, pin point it. There is only a few fans in there, can't be hard.

    if the whine is coming from the cpu or gpu, do i just RMA it?
  8. okay so i have an update. after listening, i can hear a very high pitched whine from turning the pc on coming from the HDD. but once i start up a game, i hear the weird whines also come from either one of three fans (they are to close to tell), and the whine sounds like a toned down version of the classic dial up tone. i have no idea what any of this means lol
    Edit: but as soon as i shut off the game, even if i alt f4 as soon as it starts up, then noise stops almost instantly.
  9. is the 66°c the cpu or gpu temp?
    if the whining noise is coming from a fan then it'll stop when the fan stops - use your finger to temporarily stop fans one at a time to determine which fan it is (if any).
  10. Branden said:
    is the 66°c the cpu or gpu temp?
    if the whining noise is coming from a fan then it'll stop when the fan stops - use your finger to temporarily stop fans one at a time to determine which fan it is (if any).


    both are about the same temp. my gpu has two fans, could i risk any damage by putting my finger on the fan to stop it?
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Systems