Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which AMD Processor do I get for a budget $560 dollar gaming build?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 11, 2013 8:47:44 PM

Im not sure what CPU to get. Its between an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition or an AMD FX-4100 Zambezi procesor.

If this helps here are the parts i have for my pc right now and i need help finding a Mobo with and IDE Connector for my Dvd drive and HDD for around 50 bucks

XION Onyx XON-301 Atx mid tower case(Has a 120mm intake fan in the front and a 120mm exhaust fan in the back and a 140mm Intake fan on the side)

Western Digital WD2500PB-19FBA0 HDD.

Samsung DVD combo drive.

Corsair vengeance 8GB 2X4GB 1600Mhz

HIS Radeon 7850 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCIE 3.0X16
April 11, 2013 8:53:03 PM

theyre both OKAY cpus but i would go with FX-4300 or FX-6300. if you want good overclocking and temps i would go with the FX-4100. the Phenom IIs while they perform decently, they'll probably run really hot at 140w.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
April 11, 2013 8:53:29 PM
Share

FX4300 or P2 X4 965...the FX4100 is quite a bit slower than the FX4300 at lightly threaded apps. Most games are lightly threaded, but the newest ones will be more heavily threaded.

If you can find one, get the FX6300...it is a HUGE step up in CPU for not much more money. ($129 @ newegg.com)
Related resources
April 11, 2013 8:58:07 PM

I was going to get the 4300 Vishera but someone told me to get a better GPU and downgrade to the phenom II X4 965 and i would be fine. But i think i might go with the 4300 because i still need an os. And would intel be better or no?
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
April 11, 2013 9:01:49 PM

Mcwoos said:
I was going to get the 4300 Vishera but someone told me to get a better GPU and downgrade to the phenom II X4 965 and i would be fine. But i think i might go with the 4300 because i still need an os. And would intel be better or no?


Not for similar money...no. To get a good intel you need to spend about $200.

The FX6300 is about $20 more than the FX4300...it will be the best $20 you could spend.

You can get OEM win7 or win8 64 bit for about $90-100
April 11, 2013 9:07:38 PM

8350rocks said:
Mcwoos said:
I was going to get the 4300 Vishera but someone told me to get a better GPU and downgrade to the phenom II X4 965 and i would be fine. But i think i might go with the 4300 because i still need an os. And would intel be better or no?


Not for similar money...no. To get a good intel you need to spend about $200.

The FX6300 is about $20 more than the FX4300...it will be the best $20 you could spend.

You can get OEM win7 or win8 64 bit for about $90-100


I found an OEM 64-BIT version of WIN 7 on ebay for 75 bucks. And i found a Mobo am3+ socket.
April 11, 2013 10:53:43 PM

Mcwoos said:
8350rocks said:
Mcwoos said:
I was going to get the 4300 Vishera but someone told me to get a better GPU and downgrade to the phenom II X4 965 and i would be fine. But i think i might go with the 4300 because i still need an os. And would intel be better or no?


Not for similar money...no. To get a good intel you need to spend about $200.

The FX6300 is about $20 more than the FX4300...it will be the best $20 you could spend.

You can get OEM win7 or win8 64 bit for about $90-100


I found an OEM 64-BIT version of WIN 7 on ebay for 75 bucks. And i found a Mobo am3+ socket.

You might as well update your drive to a SATA as well. I think most MBs with AM3+ come with SATA connections and not IDE.

April 12, 2013 1:09:30 AM

xflowpipe said:
Mcwoos said:
8350rocks said:
Mcwoos said:
I was going to get the 4300 Vishera but someone told me to get a better GPU and downgrade to the phenom II X4 965 and i would be fine. But i think i might go with the 4300 because i still need an os. And would intel be better or no?


Not for similar money...no. To get a good intel you need to spend about $200.

The FX6300 is about $20 more than the FX4300...it will be the best $20 you could spend.

You can get OEM win7 or win8 64 bit for about $90-100


I found an OEM 64-BIT version of WIN 7 on ebay for 75 bucks. And i found a Mobo am3+ socket.

You might as well update your drive to a SATA as well. I think most MBs with AM3+ come with SATA connections and not IDE.



I found a Mobo with IDE/PATA connections and it got good reviews on newegg.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
April 12, 2013 5:46:17 AM

Mcwoos said:


I found a Mobo with IDE/PATA connections and it got good reviews on newegg.


SATA III > IDE all day, every day...it would be worth it, the data transfer rates vs IDE are orders of magnitude faster....it will make a difference.
April 12, 2013 5:50:47 AM

8350rocks said:
Mcwoos said:


I found a Mobo with IDE/PATA connections and it got good reviews on newegg.


SATA III > IDE all day, every day...it would be worth it, the data transfer rates vs IDE are orders of magnitude faster....it will make a difference.


Agreed. IDE just isn't viable anymore, and going from IDE to SATA-III will give you a massive performance increase. +1 on the FX-6300 as well, I have I and love it to bits.
April 12, 2013 7:43:14 AM

FX-6300. One of the best values you can get for your dollar.

And who pays for their OS anymore? Take into consideration free options and methods.
April 12, 2013 12:54:03 PM

skurtov said:
FX-6300. One of the best values you can get for your dollar.

And who pays for their OS anymore? Take into consideration free options and methods.


How would i get my os for free and i dont have money to upgrade and to be honest i dont really care if its ide or sata.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
April 12, 2013 1:31:49 PM

you can get ubuntu linux for free and run windows programs on WINE (a program for linux)
April 12, 2013 2:02:58 PM

8350rocks said:
you can get ubuntu linux for free and run windows programs on WINE (a program for linux)


That's what I'm doing until I get a free copy of windows from a friend who works for Microsoft Research. It works great, and steam is now naturally supported on Ubuntu. Plus, it's a beautiful OS.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
April 12, 2013 3:22:23 PM

Flightsimluke said:
8350rocks said:
you can get ubuntu linux for free and run windows programs on WINE (a program for linux)


That's what I'm doing until I get a free copy of windows from a friend who works for Microsoft Research. It works great, and steam is now naturally supported on Ubuntu. Plus, it's a beautiful OS.


+1
!