Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASrock extreme4 + i5 3570k + good water cooling.. high voltage problem to reach 4.6

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 12, 2013 8:14:07 AM

I dunno what i'm doing wrong, but i tried many different thing...

To be at 4.8GHz ( crash after 5min of prime) i have Core voltage of 1.55V ..

The temp dont get higher then 82C due to my watercooling..

I see so many people being able to reach thing like 4.6GHz or 4.8GHz with only 1.2-3v ... i am so much unable to do that

Right now, im at 1.352V core voltage (vary 1.345-1.355) I use offset and some offset turbo.. and i can only obtain 4.6GHz with 1.355V i was at 1.345 but after 1 hour 10min of prime blend it crashed , so i raised it to 1.355 ... so far, im on blend for 30min and it looks good. Temp are average 62c

I was wondering what setting i should change, what can I do if I want a 4.8GHz stable that could work without my voltage being so much high ( 1.55V was crashing after 5min, so i'd probly need somewhere near 1.57 ).

my ram is gskill on 1888mhz , i use the setting written on the ram.

I hope someone can help me... i really want to get 4.8 ghz

Thank you..
April 12, 2013 8:21:22 AM

It sounds like you've got a poor overclocking chip. 1.55v is way too high as well.

Sorry for the bad news...
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 8:23:11 AM

You have to understand that just because some people have overclocked to a certain point that your particular chip will be able to. Every processor is different.

The only thing you can do is the normal overclock process...step up the speed, step up the voltage until it is stable. At some point you are going to reach the limitations of your chip and you will not be able to find a voltage at which that frequency is stable and it is at that point that you just have to accept that is your max stable overclock.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 12, 2013 8:30:52 AM

What is the voltage limit? is the voltage limit only the temperature? if i want to push 1.58V can I? if the temperature on blend test from prime95 doesnt get pass 85c ?
m
0
l
a c 124 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 8:39:00 AM

What is so important about 4.8?
You hear many stories bragging about overclocks in the 4.5 to 5.0 range, but not so many from those with chips that can not do so well.
If 4.8 is really important to you, I have two suggestions:
1. Overclock the FSB from 100 to a bit higher. This impacts many things, so be careful.
2. Sell your 3570K and buy another. Perhaps you might be able to buy a golden chip.
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 8:44:18 AM

Overclock the FSB.. what will that change, what impact it can have?

I stoped the prime95 now, after close to 1 hour it didnt crash http://valid.canardpc.com/2767044 ... but i'd really love to be able to get higher...

I actually though about RMA'in the chip to newegg so they ship me new one, but the thing i fear is they find out i OC'ed it and then they do not refund when they receive it.
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 8:45:37 AM

Look Ivy Bridge chips are pretty good to overclock up to 4.5GHz and after that it gets dicey. Keep in mind that while voltage increases the temperature, the temperature is not really what kills processors, its trying to push too much voltage into the chip that destroys it. That being said, you can increase the voltage of your processor all day, but when you get one little voltage spike that your processor cant handle you are going to destroy the chip and probably the motherboard along with it...heck you might even get lucky with a trifecta and destroy the RAM as well.

Long story short, dont push your chip further than it can go. 1.5 volts is pretty high for an IB chip.
m
0
l
a c 124 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 8:57:51 AM

The clock rate is the product of the multiplier times the fsb.
You get 4.6 with a multiplier of 46 and a fsb of 100.
The fsb can be increased from 100 to perhaps 102.
That will yield a clock rate of 4.69.
2% is reasonable, 4%(104) to get you to 4.8 may not be.
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 9:53:24 AM

can i break up my cpu if i change the FSB or it will just make it become hot?
m
0
l
a c 124 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 10:04:30 AM

Your oc will fail.
Do some research so you understand what you are doing.

I am beginning to think you are over your head in this for no really good reason.

Be content with 4.5
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 10:52:48 AM

geofelt said:
Your oc will fail.
Do some research so you understand what you are doing.

I am beginning to think you are over your head in this for no really good reason.

Be content with 4.5


I have to agree with geofelt, do some research and try to understand what exactly you are doing while you are overclocking.

As you see in my sig, I have my processor overclocked to 3.92 GHz. I tried so hard to push it to 4.0 but I could never get it completely stable, despite the fact that my friend, with the exact same chip got his to 4.1 and stable. Its not because hes better at overclocking than I am, its just that his chip can just overclock better. Find your max stable overclock and be happy with it.
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 11:55:35 AM

Thanks for comment... There a start to everything, I read alot about overclocking, but i know for sure that its never same for everyone. I am newbi to this, but I want to learn.

I am able to get my thing stable on a 1h test at 4.7GHz with 1.43V.

I made this topic maybe to find someone to help me, i though somethng on the setting can make the cpu run with lower voltage, maybe somewhere i didnt read correctly.. i see all those people at 4.7-5GHz with just 1.2-4V

As for your OC, 3.92GHz ,Thats a nice OC, but i paid good money for a custom loop water cooling, i would not be much happy if my limit was 3.92GHz.

Thankss anyway for all the comment, and if someone maybe have a setting or something that can help reduce vcore voltage im all open!

See ya
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 12:08:12 PM

olivierg said:
Thanks for comment... There a start to everything, I read alot about overclocking, but i know for sure that its never same for everyone. I am newbi to this, but I want to learn.

I am able to get my thing stable on a 1h test at 4.7GHz with 1.43V.

I made this topic maybe to find someone to help me, i though somethng on the setting can make the cpu run with lower voltage, maybe somewhere i didnt read correctly.. i see all those people at 4.7-5GHz with just 1.2-4V

As for your OC, 3.92GHz ,Thats a nice OC, but i paid good money for a custom loop water cooling, i would not be much happy if my limit was 3.92GHz.

Thankss anyway for all the comment, and if someone maybe have a setting or something that can help reduce vcore voltage im all open!

See ya


Keep in mind that my processor is a first gen i5, not even sandy bridge. 4.0GHz is admirable for these chips. :p 
m
0
l
April 12, 2013 12:18:57 PM

dalmvern said:
olivierg said:
Thanks for comment... There a start to everything, I read alot about overclocking, but i know for sure that its never same for everyone. I am newbi to this, but I want to learn.

I am able to get my thing stable on a 1h test at 4.7GHz with 1.43V.

I made this topic maybe to find someone to help me, i though somethng on the setting can make the cpu run with lower voltage, maybe somewhere i didnt read correctly.. i see all those people at 4.7-5GHz with just 1.2-4V

As for your OC, 3.92GHz ,Thats a nice OC, but i paid good money for a custom loop water cooling, i would not be much happy if my limit was 3.92GHz.

Thankss anyway for all the comment, and if someone maybe have a setting or something that can help reduce vcore voltage im all open!

See ya


Keep in mind that my processor is a first gen i5, not even sandy bridge. 4.0GHz is admirable for these chips. :p 


Oh, my god I though it was same as my chip!! I read bad sorry!!

Very nice OC for real then :) )
m
0
l
a c 175 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 7:30:36 PM

olivierg said:
but i paid good money for a custom loop water cooling, i would not be much happy if my limit was "Insert any number here".


Such is the nature of these things, overclocking is never a guaranteed thing.
Doesn't matter how much cooling you throw at it, if your chip is just a poor overclocker it wont get that far. With decent cooling (talking a NH-D14 or so), temperature is rarely the limiting factor when it comes to overclocking. Much more likely to be your skill and the chips quality.

The world clockspeed record is 8.429Ghz done on an FX-8150, I bet they searched through thousands of 8150's before they determined that particular chip as the one to use for the attempt. I highly doubt they just pulled one off the production line.
The quality of the chip plays a big role in determining if it can hit the bigger overclocks.

m
0
l
!