i5-2500 high temperatures

Payne2109

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello tomshardware,

I built my first custom PC about a year ago and when I stress tested my CPU (Intel i5-2500 non-K) for the first time with the stock Intel HSF under prime95 smallFFTs, my max temperature was around 65C. Just out of curiosity, I did the same thing a month ago and was unpleasantly surprised when I got over 85C in just under a minute. When I kept it running for longer it slowly went up to 90C. At first I thought re-seating the HSF would help but it didn't, so I went ahead and got a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for it, did the same stress testing and got a maximum temperature of 65C with an open case and 69C on the hottest core when closed. Undervolted my CPU to 1,192V – no difference.

I use CPUID Hardware Monitor for measuring the CPU temps, my room temperature is 26C and I have no case fans. I'm wondering if something could be wrong with my CPU or are these temperatures acceptable?

If it matters, I updated the BIOS of my motherboard (ASUS P8H61M-LE/USB3 BIOS version 4401) just before I tested the CPU and monitored the high temps. Also, when installing the Hyper 212 EVO I couldn't completely tighten one of the screws on the backplate leaving a small gap between it and the motherboard in one corner, but there were no gaps on the other side so I just left it as is.

My other hardware:

GPU: MSI GTX660 2GB twinfrozr III
RAM: some cheap Crucial Rendition 2x 2GB
PSU: Sinan-power VP-530 (the loudest thing in my PC, hate it soo much)
HDD: 2 Samsung drives (HD502HJ as boot drive and HD161HJ)

PS: sorry if my English is a bit weird. I'm not a native speaker :pt1cable:

Payne2109

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

One of the screws used to tighten the metal thing to which you screw the Hyper 212 to didn't completely screw in, but I doubt that could be causing any problems as it's tight and doesn't have any gaps on the other side (where the heatsink is). At normal usage (web browsing, videos, etc) i max out at around 59C but only as short temp spikes. After 30 minutes of Far Cry 3, I get 67C max on the hottest core.

Of course I'm satisfied with the performance of the Hyper 212 over the stock Intel HSF and I understand that if it's under the TCase 72,6C it's OK but I'm just wondering what could have caused the abnormally high temps in the first place because I would expect this kind of performance from a stock Intel HSF considering I can't even OC the CPU if I wanted to.