7970 6gb watercooling?

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Does anyone know a way to watercool the saphire toxic 6gb or vapor-x 6gb?
I have looked and people say its a non ref. PCB, so no :( . But if you can tell me a way to do it I will be very pleased. Feel free to ask add'l questions!

Solution
Hmmm... I'm back, basically got banned for advertising, didn't know the rules were so strict on that (nvm that's a different story >.>)

A. Its good that you are getting two graphics cards,
B. The point is you won't know how to cool them reliably without actually having the pcb with you, (otherwise all we will be going on are guesstimations)
C. Hmmm would be better if the fan was close up to the card, but if that is too ugly/not possible, good airflow in the case in general should be fine

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

One of the only reasons to pay a premium for one of these awesome cards is because they already come with amazing cooling. To my knowledge, there is no water cooling that would work on either of these cards.

You would be better off getting a reference 7970 if you insist on water cooling.

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Ummm....but reference does not have as much VRAM and I want my card to be future-proof.

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Some people say you can use a universal gpu block+ a vram block for gpu if its a non standard pcb, can someone suggest me a good ramsink and gpu block; also a crossfire connector block. Thanks!

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

The only thing is that a typical water cooling block wont fit the non ref boards because the mounting points typically don't line up.

If you absolutely have to have a 6GB card, you will be fine with the stock cooling that comes with it.

As you have found out, due to the non-reference design of the board you cant fit full-cover waterblocks to the card.
However, universal options are still possible, as the heatsink mount around the GPU itself will always be the same.
For more info on this, check out the water-cooling sticky.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

A universal block only cools the GPU itself, not the surrounding VRAM or VRM's so they have to have heatsinks placed on them. Being heatsinks, you still need airflow over the cards for them to work. As for which block to get, thats for you to find out :D. Martins Liquid Labs, Skinee Labs are both great resources for water-cooling reviews.
For the crossfire connection, I suspect with universal blocks there aren't any elegant solutions to link them. Would just use some rotary 90° adapters and Bitspower Crystal Link's, an SLI/Crossfire bridge or just plain tubing.

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Well, first; I'm not 'f*cking rich'; I am trying to earn all this money; I just want a pc that ail last a while. The reason I want the 6gb is that i will probably have this card till 2015; so if games have more ram requirements by then I will be prepared. I only need to run three monitors but I want to run them at high settings with AA so that adds to ram requirements. Yes, I do want a silent build; and yes I am ready to put in more effort.

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
@manofchalk...I get that theres more but I am just talking about the block.
@krthush
A few things:
A. in the video test they did not do 3 monitors
B. you gave me a gtx 690 block for a hd 7990
C.yeah could you help me with the 6gb
D. also I needed help with radiator info
thanks!

pcperson7

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

A few things:
A. Yes I will be getting two!
B. I don't think I can order them before knowing how to cool; I need to be sure about it; and if it works.
C.Instead of sticiking a fan on top could I just use the side fan on case?
thanks!

krthush V2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hmmm... I'm back, basically got banned for advertising, didn't know the rules were so strict on that (nvm that's a different story >.>)

A. Its good that you are getting two graphics cards,
B. The point is you won't know how to cool them reliably without actually having the pcb with you, (otherwise all we will be going on are guesstimations)
C. Hmmm would be better if the fan was close up to the card, but if that is too ugly/not possible, good airflow in the case in general should be fine

Solution
Theres a pretty nifty solution I'v seen to providing airflow over VRM/VRAM heatsinks. Basically comes down to mounting the universal block and various heatsinks, then mounting the fans that come with the card back on and using them to supply airflow.
If I can find the build-log where I saw I'l post it.

krthush V2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

That's a nice idea, may require a bit of modding (dunno), if we are lucky with the sapphire vapor-x cooler, possibly you can attach the fans back on without the heatsink.

krthush V2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

Yes, good idea.

The only problem is I've had the vapor-x sapphire cards before, the 3 gb one anyways, if I remember correctly the cooler isn't very nice to work with. When I looked at it did't seem very modder friendly, to me anyways.

Excluding the cooler itself, the fans + fan bracket, might not have enough space to allow tubing through the edges, he might have to cut them slightly + get very small tubing.

He will have to find a way to fit the fans + fan bracket back on as well, cos I don't think they nicely screw onto the board more just the molded around the cooler heat-sink.

On the link you posted, what was that black stuff he used to hold the fan bracket/fans with?

krthush V2

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
That card ain't coming any time soon, last time I heard AMD said they gonna continue with the 7000 series until the end of this year. So up to you...
Some proof:http://www.techpowerup.com/180009/No-New-GPUs-from-AMD-for-the-Bulk-of-2013.html

Also there isn't a massive improve, the toxic will mush a stock 8970 probs.