£490 rendering build help

Hey guys & gals, this is my first build after having a late 2009 iMac for 2+ years. I need some critique for the GPU and PSU mostly, and whatever else you have to add!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: £490 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video / 3D Rendering (Blender, After Effects, Premiere Pro), minimal gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon UK

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£133.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£67.03 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.30 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti 2GB SSC Graphics Card (£120.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: CiT Vantage ATX Mid Tower Case (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W ATX12V Power Supply (£38.40 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £494.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-14 02:27 BST+0100)
6 answers Last reply
More about 490 rendering build
  1. Changes I would make:

Keep the FX-8320 (you can overclock IF YOU WANT to match clock speeds of fx-8350 and this CPU is probably better value).

XFX ProSeries 450w (cheaper than the corsair at amazon but has slightly better parts inside and 80+ bronze).

Consider getting a cpu cooler like the hyper 212 evo.

Your choice of gpu is nice, good performance at that price point but there isn't much difference between the 1gb version so you could save $15 there.
  2. If you can read..."Overclocking: No" so no point of getting a cpu cooler and the +500mhz from the 8350 will help.
    Nice catch on the XFX psu though.
  3. realchaos said:

Thanks for trying to fit the 8350 in my budget (I wanted too), but the RAM you recommended dispatches in 1-2 months according to Amazon. I'm building the PC the next week!
  4. FlyingHawk08 said:
    Changes I would make:

Keep the FX-8320 (you can overclock IF YOU WANT to match clock speeds of fx-8350 and this CPU is probably better value).

XFX ProSeries 450w (cheaper than the corsair at amazon but has slightly better parts inside and 80+ bronze).

Consider getting a cpu cooler like the hyper 212 evo.

Your choice of gpu is nice, good performance at that price point but there isn't much difference between the 1gb version so you could save $15 there.

The only cheaper PSU I could find is this one, and the seller does not ship to Greece.

As realchaos noticed I'm not overclocking, so I don't see a use for the cooler.
    Also, doesn't VRAM matter for rendering purposes? Will I not need the extra 1GB?
  5. Hello, I recommend more RAM in your build. You will need it when it comes to on the fly rendering.
Ask a new question

Read More

Rendering Video Build Systems