Solved

New FX-8350, bad performance woes

Hi all, I just got the AMD FX-8350 yesterday and I'm experiencing bad performance to say the least. Most things perform better than they did with my Phenom II X6 1100T but I had similar bad performance with it. I decided to run the new 3DMark benchmarks to see how much better it matched up than my ol' Thuban but it actually did worse. See, at one point I had my ol' Thuban with a great overclock. Got up to 8000 or so on the Physics score. Loved it, then all of a sudden about a month later, I ran the tests again and my performance had dropped, drastically. Now, my new FX-8350 is actually doing worse on physics and stuff than the Thuban was. I've installed the hotfixes for windows, cleared the CMOS for my mainboard, everything. I can't figure out wtf is going on.

My specs:
Asus Crosshair V Formula (1703 BIOS)
AMD FX-8350
Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM 2x4GB
Radeon HD6950 x2 Crossfire
Corsair AX850
And 2 SSD's and a HDD.

I just can't figure it out.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 bad performance woes
  1. Welcome to AMD.
  2. This guy is running the same CPU as you and it only lets his 660ti go at 19% in world of tanks.




    Instead of 97% like with this intel cpu at 1.6ghz but with another graphics card



    AMD Generally only gives you better performance per dollar if what you are running can use all of the cpu's cores like video editing and professional programs.
  3. just bottleneck .. the FX need higher OC and thighten timming of ram ... hmm fx is hungry watt
  4. Here is some information that you can use for comparison. I did a very similar upgrade to yours. I went from a Phenom II 1090T to the FX-8350 and I ran the benchmarks for three different configurations. All of my results are at stock settings, no overclocking. My system is listed in my signature.

    With Phenom II 1090T and 2X Radeon HD 6870 in crossfire.

    PCMark score: 3855

    3DMark11 score: P7206 3DMarks
    Graphics score: 8227
    Physics score: 5526
    Combined score: 4887

    38.58 FPS on Gtest1
    40.68 FPS on Gtest2
    51.06 FPS on Gtest3
    23.96 FPS on Gtest4
    17.54 FPS on Physics test
    22.73 FPS on Combined test

    With FX-8350 and 2X Radeon HD 6870 in crossfire.

    PCMark score: 4515

    3DMark11 score: P7892 3DMarks
    Graphics score: 8400
    Physics score: 7178
    Combined score: 6055

    39.56 FPS on Gtest1
    40.86 FPS on Gtest2
    51.49 FPS on Gtest3
    24.78 FPS on Gtest4
    22.79 FPS on Physics test
    28.17 FPS on Combined test

    With FX-8350 and single ASUS Matrix Radeon HD 7970

    PCMark score: 4563

    3DMark11 score: P9320 3DMarks
    Graphics score: 10647
    Physics score: 7370
    Combined score: 6064

    50.11 FPS on Gtest1
    54.22 FPS on Gtest2
    67.74 FPS on Gtest3
    30.08 FPS on Gtest4
    23.40 FPS on Physics test
    28.21 FPS on Combined test
  5. I'm new to the forum, This was literally my first post but I've lurked for a while.
    These are some links to my 3DMark scores.

    My best 1100T score. Great overclock, ran everything great.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/196488?

    My test a month later, terrible score but I had only changed my voltage a little to get more stability.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/464112?

    Now, this is my FX-8350 score. I reset CMOS when I installed the new chip, and I overclocked it with different settings. I installed the windows 7 64-bit hotfixes for the FX-series chips.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/520159?


    Right now, I have everything reset to defaults but with my RAM at it's D.O.C.P. settings and I'm still scoring that bad or worse.
    Could this just be a need for a fresh windows install or could my problem lie somewhere else?
  6. Kakepwnz said:
    Hi all, I just got the AMD FX-8350 yesterday and I'm experiencing bad performance to say the least. Most things perform better than they did with my Phenom II X6 1100T but I had similar bad performance with it. I decided to run the new 3DMark benchmarks to see how much better it matched up than my ol' Thuban but it actually did worse. See, at one point I had my ol' Thuban with a great overclock. Got up to 8000 or so on the Physics score. Loved it, then all of a sudden about a month later, I ran the tests again and my performance had dropped, drastically. Now, my new FX-8350 is actually doing worse on physics and stuff than the Thuban was. I've installed the hotfixes for windows, cleared the CMOS for my mainboard, everything. I can't figure out wtf is going on.

    My specs:
    Asus Crosshair V Formula (1703 BIOS)
    AMD FX-8350
    Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM 2x4GB
    Radeon HD6950 x2 Crossfire
    Corsair AX850
    And 2 SSD's and a HDD.

    I just can't figure it out.


    Hmm...that's odd...everything I can find in a physics benchmark is higher going from a Phenom II X6 1090/1100T to a FX8350...usually goes up about 1000 or so points.

    Did you change OS in that time frame(upgrade windows)?

    You might get a better physics score upping the bandwidth on your RAM too. If you go to 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM, you might see it come up, because the FX8350 scales increasingly better with more memory bandwidth, where intel doesn't give you much more performance for more RAM bandwidth, AMD will.

    I saw some stock i7-3770k 3dmark physics scores in the high 6700s just looking now...so maybe they changed the scoring method? You're using the same version of 3dmark or a newer one?
  7. I'm using the newest 3DMark, another thing I've noticed is that CPU-Z isn't registering my FSB speed and it says my ram is at 800Mhz (1600) but everything else is saying my Ram is at 667Mhz (1333).
  8. Kakepwnz said:
    I'm using the newest 3DMark, another thing I've noticed is that CPU-Z isn't registering my FSB speed and it says my ram is at 800Mhz (1600) but everything else is saying my Ram is at 667Mhz (1333).


    Have you checked your BIOS to make sure your RAM is set to 1600 MHz?

    That Asus board you have is really something else...that board would tap dance if you could get it to wear shoes! Go through all your settings and make sure your RAM settings are correct, or if there is an "auto" feature then adjust it to a manual setting, correct it to what it needs to be. RAM will effect your score in the physics score, because the more data you can get the CPU, the faster it can process it.

    So double check your RAM settings in the board's software suite.

    EDIT: If that takes care of your problem don't forget to share some solution love. If not come back and we'll trouble shoot some more.
  9. Yeah, my ram settings are set to the D.O.C.P. Profile 0 7-8-8-24 1600Mhz. I'm so confused.
  10. Hmm, what is your physics score?
  11. 1928 was my highest

    EDIT: but with my 1100T at one point I got 8004. Then, all of a sudden a month later all of my scores went to shit.
  12. Kakepwnz said:
    1928 was my highest


    Whoa! That's about 5-6k short of what it should be...lol. I can see your cause for concern.

    Ok, did some reading...

    If you're on windows 8 64 bit...for some reason, the 3dmark 11 physics score is giving ridiculously low readings for some reason. It's a windows issue if that's the case, and they recommend going back 1 version to the previous update and running that model of 3dmark, it should run perfectly fine on the 64 bit windows 8.

    Are you on windows 8?
  13. No, I'm on Windows 7. if you check out my links up at the top, you can see the score progression since it's in order.


    EDIT: The performance just gradually degraded out of no where. I changed next to nothing. That's why i'm wondering if it's something with the BIOS settings or if it's a windows issue. I'm currently backing all of my stuff up so I can do a fresh install.
  14. http://www.xgamingstudio.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip

    If you can run that for 30 mins with no issues, it's not CPU/RAM related...that will tell us if it is just a software conflict.
  15. I ran it, Max speed was 37 GFlops. Took about 23-24 seconds each Max temps on my CPU were 51'C

    Also, had consistent results 3.375027e-002 every time.
  16. Best answer
    Kakepwnz said:
    I ran it, Max speed was 37 GFlops. Took about 23-24 seconds each Max temps on my CPU were 51'C

    Also, had consistent results 3.375027e-002 every time.


    Ok, then your CPU and RAM are fine, there is no issue there...there must be something going on with 3dmark software and windows. Because I have found a plethora of recent threads about this issue.

    Does it run programs fine and keep up on games?

    If so, it's just a software bug, and I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. When the updates come out eventually things will correct themselves.

    In the meantime enjoy your new CPU!

    Please don't forget to share the solution love.
  17. Fixed my problem, it was all software. Fresh install of Windows 7 and it's performing beautifully. My 3DMark scores are great now. Physics went up to 8884 from 1928. I love it. Thanks for the help guys!
  18. Kakepwnz said:
    Fixed my problem, it was all software. Fresh install of Windows 7 and it's performing beautifully. My 3DMark scores are great now. Physics went up to 8884 from 1928. I love it. Thanks for the help guys!


    No problem! That looks more inline with what I have seen...8700-8900 is about right.
  19. so now you learned when you change major hardware components you reinstall windows
  20. 8350rocks said:
    Kakepwnz said:
    Fixed my problem, it was all software. Fresh install of Windows 7 and it's performing beautifully. My 3DMark scores are great now. Physics went up to 8884 from 1928. I love it. Thanks for the help guys!


    No problem! That looks more inline with what I have seen...8700-8900 is about right.


    I am having a simular problem, but my cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz at 1.356v stable max temps are 58c with stock cooler, proud of that one, i have my ninja 3 comming soon. ram is all set to manual 9-9-9-24 1600mhz

    my physic score is almost awalys in the 6k's never seen it go beyond that highest is 6908 in 3d mark 11 . that seems to be about a k low. Are there any other things i could look at to increase my physic score and over all score ?

    componets are fx 8350 and sapphire 7870 ghz x2 crossfire . scores are as follows from peak test
    DMark ScoreP12960Graphics Score17098Physics Score8068Combined Score6802
    3DMark Score12960.0 3DMarks
    Graphics Score17098.0
    Physics Score8068.0
    Combined Score6802.0
    Graphics Test 174.0 fps
    Graphics Test 284.1 fps
    Graphics Test 3111.6 fps
    Graphics Test 451.5 fps
    Physics Test25.6 fps
    Combined Test31.6 fps
  21. Kakepwnz said:
    I ran it, Max speed was 37 GFlops. Took about 23-24 seconds each Max temps on my CPU were 51'C

    Also, had consistent results 3.375027e-002 every time.


    thats a little off my fx 8320 @ 4.8 gets 80 gflops and 100ops according to sisandra benchmark

    a 4770k @ 3.9 was getting 95 gflops
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance CPUs