Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Kingston HyperX vs ASRock mobo: supported/tested but not working

Last response: in Memory
Share
April 14, 2013 4:42:35 AM

Hi,

My config:
AMD A10 5800K APU
ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4
Kingston HyperX KHX24C11T2K2/8X
1TB WD Blue HDD sata
Teac DVD-Writer sata
Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO
Seasonic S12II 430W
Win7 x64 Ultimate

My problem is I cant get my ram modules to work none of its XMP profiles however this RAM is in the official support list.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX24C11T2K2_8X.pdf
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X...e4/?cat=Memory

XMP Profile #1: D3-2400 CL11-13-13 @1.65V
XMP Profile #2: D3-2133 CL11-12-11 @1.60V

The 2133 one produces BSOD and other coloring screen crashes very frequently (say once in every 5 mins) while with the 2400 profile the computer doesn't boot up at all. :??: 

Tried to lower the freq in the UEFI, in 1866, manual timing @ 10-11-10-27 or any other timings around it still produces BSOD. The higher timings brought me less BSOD but then x64 game appication crashes everytime instead.

I'm trying to find out why I can't use the profiles for a month now, but the most really annoying thing that I can't use my rams on even 1866 stable (!) which is way below the 2400 MHz that supported and tested by ASRock actually...

Maybe I should play some more around with timings but I'm not an expert and I don't know how. All I know if this timing play would be on 2400 or 2133 MHz I would say OK , but on 1866?

Please, may I ask for your help how can I get those rams working at least 1866 stable! I'm getting lost all the confidence.
a b } Memory
April 14, 2013 8:10:24 AM

at try with VDIM / voltage RAM and running on 1.5v equated
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 2:33:25 PM

Correction: Using the Profile #2 (2133 MHz) screen goes black for 2-3 sec frequently instead of BSOD.

So,
On 1333 MHz and 1660 no problem at all.
1866 MHz: produces BSOD frequently with any timings/voltage I tried.
2133 profile: screen goes black for 2-3 sec frequently
2400 profile: no boot at all.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 15, 2013 1:50:42 AM

if you ran under XMP 1866 try balance Vdim and timing RAM .. if don't lucky just stay at 1600 with tighten timing of ram good luck
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 2:25:17 AM

What is your current bios version ? Have you tried restoring bios defaults or updating to the latest bios version, try putting them in the other pair of memory slots in case one of the motherboard's slots is busted, also you can try one module at a time in each slot to see if you still get BSOD. I had a ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 and the same memory as you, it worked first time at the rated speed and never had any problems.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 16, 2013 7:36:01 AM

Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. The A10-5800 processor only supports up to 1866 memory speed so the use of the 2133 or 2400 speed would not work properly without overclocking the CPU which could cause furhter stability issues. Also, per the motherboard's manual "If you adopt DDR3 2600/2400/2133/1866/1600 memory modules on this motherboard, it is recommended to install them on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots." If you have not already it would be best to install the two modules in these slots and try the following timings for 1866:
DDR3-1866 CL9-11-9-27 @1.65V
DDR3-1866 CL11-11-11-27 @1.5V
DDR3-1866 CL10-10-10-27 @1.5V
We are here to help, if you have any other questions about our products, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.
Share
April 17, 2013 1:02:03 AM

I_Am_Weasel said:
What is your current bios version ? Have you tried restoring bios defaults or updating to the latest bios version, try putting them in the other pair of memory slots in case one of the motherboard's slots is busted, also you can try one module at a time in each slot to see if you still get BSOD. I had a ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 and the same memory as you, it worked first time at the rated speed and never had any problems.


My bios version is the latest, I was updated it when the problem on 2133 (black screens) happened first time and I also tried with bios defaults (only the ram speed changed) several times ofc. I also tried the other 2 slots (A1+B1) but it didn't solve the problem. Not the single stick either.

m
0
l
April 17, 2013 3:01:54 AM

One last thing i found this while searching for one of my old memory related problems, it's about a G.Skill kit but it has the same 2400 frequency maybe it will help, quote "Since the 1.50 BIOS update to the ASRock FM2A85X motherboard, this GSkill Trident X is functional at DDR-2400 speed at stock (Auto) voltages and XMP timings. ASRock determined that a Northbridge voltage of 1.38-1.44 volts was required to achieve these memory clock speeds on the Trinity APUs. You may find this information useful when advertising this product for the FM2 platform"

m
0
l
April 17, 2013 4:09:00 AM

kingstonhq said:
Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and....


Hi Jewel,
I'm from Europe unfortunately. I'm using my A10 5800K @ 4400 MHz pretty stable and I still get the blinks (screen turns black for 2-3 sec) with the profile #2 (2133 MHz). I already use them in A2+B2 slots because of my huge cpu cooler.
I've tried out the timings you gave, all three works stable on 1833 MHz finally! Thanks! Too bad none of them on 2133 - they produce the blinking thing on 2133.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
April 18, 2013 8:43:50 AM

Vox said:
kingstonhq said:
Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and....


Hi Jewel,
I'm from Europe unfortunately. I'm using my A10 5800K @ 4400 MHz pretty stable and I still get the blinks (screen turns black for 2-3 sec) with the profile #2 (2133 MHz). I already use them in A2+B2 slots because of my huge cpu cooler.
I've tried out the timings you gave, all three works stable on 1833 MHz finally! Thanks! Too bad none of them on 2133 - they produce the blinking thing on 2133.


I'm glad I was able to help. If you do need further support you can find our contact information for your area here: http://www.kingston.com/en/company/contacts
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 11:18:31 AM

I_Am_Weasel said:
One last thing i found this while searching for one of my old memory related problems, it's about a G.Skill kit but it has the same 2400 frequency maybe it will help, quote "Since the 1.50 BIOS update to the ASRock FM2A85X motherboard, this GSkill Trident X is functional at DDR-2400 speed at stock (Auto) voltages and XMP timings. ASRock determined that a Northbridge voltage of 1.38-1.44 volts was required to achieve these memory clock speeds on the Trinity APUs. You may find this information useful when advertising this product for the FM2 platform"


So I set my NB/VGA voltage to 1.42V and my ram voltage is on 1.675V and I still got some black screens but very rarely now, like once in an hour or so. Strange, but it seems to me my screen turns black for 2-3 seconds only when something dazzling white background appears on it. For example, I didn't have any "blink" for an hour, while I was doing some video conversion and then I came to visit this whole-white forum on full screen and bang I got my blink as soon as my comp loaded the big white forum. :p 
Its just an example I'm hardy trying to get some ideas about any possible system behind the blinkings but I found only this sofar. It happens many times not just today. But the blinkings themselves happens rarery for now at least.
m
0
l
!