Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

gaming pc upgrade budget of 1k $

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2013 5:37:31 AM

Hello i would like to upgrade my pc and i would rly like some help because when i bought it i didnt knew as much i know atm about hardware. So im going safe-way and im asking for some opinions. I wanna build a monster with that budget since i only have to buy 4 parts as listed below. Please advice.


Approximate Purchase Date: 30 of april

Budget Range: 1k $ or 800 euro

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Pure Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM , (my psu is corsair 650W, got an ssd vertex 4 128gb, and my hdd is an 500gb at 7200rpm)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Location: Greece, i will put the parts apart myself

Parts Preferences: i would really like an i7. and the gtx 670 is very powerful card i think, if u have other suggestion feel free to post them.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: prefferable SLI in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: my current pc with AMD x4 950 at 3.4ghz makes so much loud, we could use a silent cpu cooler.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: because my cousin want my current parts and i can save some of the difrence by buying these stuff.

My minimum requirement is to play wow as smooth as possible at full hd, even on 25man raids at full ultra because my gtx460 768mb gives me 20fps at full ultra on cities or raids.

More about : gaming upgrade budget

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 5:46:19 AM

You should be able to get away with these upgrade, these are top notch:

IF OVERCLOCKING:
CPU: i5 3570k
Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4, Asus P8z77 V-LK, Gigabyte z77 D3H, whichever one happens to be the cheapest of the three, they are all fantastic.
GPU: AMD Radeon 7970 from Gigabyte (MUCH stronger than the 670 in every single case.

IF NOT OVERCLOCKING
CPU: i5 3470
Mobo: Any H77 motherboard from the brands above (Asus Asrock or Gigabyte)
GPU: Again the AMD Radeon 7970 from gigabyte.

The i5 is the sweet spot, you really do not need much more, you will not feel any difference in gaming capability if you get the i7, so that is money not spent so wisely.

The motherboards are all very reliable brands that you really cannot say no to. All of them top of the line in terms of quality.

The GPU is going to be the best part of this, it performs much better than the 670 at pretty much the exact same price. You really cannot argue with that value. This will get you hundreds of frames a second without a problem in every single game you may want to play.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 6:15:02 AM

For WoW you really don't need much to run it. I'm kind of surprised your 460 was weak.

Do you need a case?

Will you overclock?

Do you need a i7? In games i7 vs i5 is the same.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 14, 2013 7:11:47 AM

sry if i wanst clear, i dont need a case i only need these 4 parts cpu/mobo/gpu/ram, i might overclock if the temperatures allow me, and also the difrence between i5 and i7 is ~100$ and for 4extra cores i would gladly pay them for other utilities aswell, i do prefer the 3770k tho
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 7:16:30 AM

Ok, get a 3770k its great for editing work.

But seriously, for WoW you don't need a high end system. That game is considered a low end system. I mean low end systems should easily max out that game. If I were in your shoes I'd spend 500euros and kill that game.
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 7:24:33 AM

ok then these are my current specs AMD x4 950 at 3.4ghz, 12gb ram at 1333mhz, 128gb ssd which os and wow is in it, gtx460 768mb
explain me why i play at 20fps at full hd :D , what is the cause of the problem and ill change that one only
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:09:13 AM

watafak said:
sry if i wanst clear, i dont need a case i only need these 4 parts cpu/mobo/gpu/ram, i might overclock if the temperatures allow me, and also the difrence between i5 and i7 is ~100$ and for 4extra cores i would gladly pay them for other utilities aswell, i do prefer the 3770k tho


Games don't recognize those cores. You'll get about ~3 frames extra, but is that worth 100$?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:22:49 AM

envy14tpe said:
Just to give you an idea of GPUs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-...

A 660 will max it out, but to be safe considering the 660 has been out for 9 months...get a 660ti.


7870XT is even better and cheaper... why rip yourself off when you could get more for less?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:24:24 AM

watafak said:
ok then these are my current specs AMD x4 950 at 3.4ghz, 12gb ram at 1333mhz, 128gb ssd which os and wow is in it, gtx460 768mb
explain me why i play at 20fps at full hd :D , what is the cause of the problem and ill change that one only


If you were a bud of mine I would have said to replace the GPU and you'll be good to go.
Your specs, beside GPU, are good. And your components will easily carry over.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:32:38 AM

envy14tpe said:
watafak said:
ok then these are my current specs AMD x4 950 at 3.4ghz, 12gb ram at 1333mhz, 128gb ssd which os and wow is in it, gtx460 768mb
explain me why i play at 20fps at full hd :D , what is the cause of the problem and ill change that one only


If you were a bud of mine I would have said to replace the GPU and you'll be good to go.
Your specs, beside GPU, are good. And your components will easily carry over.


By doing that you leave yourself open to a couple problems, first is that that CPU is pretty much at the end of its useful life, you are not really going to be getting much more out of it and if you ever want to play different games, the chances of the CPU being even remotely viable later on is zero. You should upgrade everything else as well only because you will have a huge bottleneck down the road, which quite frankly a large problem. If your CPU cannot even handle games there is a 0% chance of play-ability which therefor justifies a whole system revamp. So you should look to my examples:

Quote:
IF OVERCLOCKING:
CPU: i5 3570k
Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4, Asus P8z77 V-LK, Gigabyte z77 D3H, whichever one happens to be the cheapest of the three, they are all fantastic.
GPU: AMD Radeon 7970 from Gigabyte (MUCH stronger than the 670 in every single case.

IF NOT OVERCLOCKING
CPU: i5 3470
Mobo: Any H77 motherboard from the brands above (Asus Asrock or Gigabyte)
GPU: Again the AMD Radeon 7970 from gigabyte.


These will both have a useful like of 5+ years whereas you CPU is pretty much at the end.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:38:23 AM

haha. funny comments.
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 12:42:23 PM

noone mentioned about the ram, what about them, i was thinking buying some on 2400mhz, any opinions on this?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 8:57:26 PM

watafak said:
noone mentioned about the ram, what about them, i was thinking buying some on 2400mhz, any opinions on this?


Yes, it's a waste of money to buy 2400MHz RAM unless you need it for editing. For gaming you should buy 1600MHz.
This link details the differences in RAM. The conclusion is that 1600MHz is the best for gaming.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...
m
0
l
April 17, 2013 11:53:23 AM

ok guys so i have a bit higher budget and im ordering these
i5 3570k
g.skill ripjaws 2x8gb 2133mhz
gtx 690
msi Mpower mobo

what i wanna ask is i have an hdd 500gb at 7200rpm and an ssd ocz vertex 3, also an optical drive, will my 650W PSU be ok with these specs?

edit: my psu is corsair 650W 80 (as i can see)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 17, 2013 4:16:48 PM

watafak said:
ok guys so i have a bit higher budget and im ordering these
i5 3570k
g.skill ripjaws 2x8gb 2133mhz
gtx 690
msi Mpower mobo

what i wanna ask is i have an hdd 500gb at 7200rpm and an ssd ocz vertex 3, also an optical drive, will my 650W PSU be ok with these specs?

edit: my psu is corsair 650W 80 (as i can see)


It'll work.
But, MSI mobo's are pretty bad with dealing with an OC. Get a Gigabyte or an Asus.
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 9:38:29 AM

so this is the final build got the offer for 1544euros it includes :
intel core i5 3570k
nvidia gtx 690 4gb gigabyte
g.skill trident 16gb non ecc CL9 2133mhz (2x8)
asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT
my worries are if the psu corsair 650w will handle these items cause as this site shows
the gtx 690 at full load uses 341W http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...
and as this site shows the mobo uses 304W http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5260/asus-p8z77-v-pro-... what will my cpu use then at full power >.>
m
0
l
April 19, 2013 2:28:00 PM

if anyone would kindly help me i want to order them tomorow, it will be really apriciated
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 19, 2013 3:20:40 PM

Get 800+W. nVidia suggests 650W minimum.
m
0
l
!