Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please Help!! Brand New OCZ SSD Wont Install Win7!?

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 14, 2013 5:39:05 AM

Please help me! My older mechanical hardrive crashed and i lost everything so, i decided to buy a new SSD and make it my boot drive and install steam games on another drive.
I bought a OCZ Agility 3 120gb brand new unopened.I unplugged all other hardrives and put in my windows 7 disk. I started it up it gives me a black screen saying "Reboot and select proper boot device"!!!!! I have read tons of other forums and tried everything i could still no luck.
In my bios it has my DVD drive listed and my SSD so i know its picking both of them up and I've tried disabling the SSD as a boot option so it would boot to the disk drive and that didn't work either! This is on my custom build and its not very old. (specs further down)Please help!! if you need anymore information please ask this black screen is driving me crazy!:fou: 

Specs
Biostar TZ77A mobo
i5 3570k (no overclock)
Corsair 500w
EVGA GTX 570
8gb Corsair Vengence ram
a b G Storage
April 14, 2013 5:53:56 AM

You need to boot from the Windows DVD first. The SSD doesn't even come into play before that, so there's no use blaming the SSD.
April 14, 2013 5:56:59 AM

Sakkura said:
You need to boot from the Windows DVD first. The SSD doesn't even come into play before that, so there's no use blaming the SSD.


I've tried disabling the ssd as a boot option in the bios so it would boot on the disk drive, but i still get the Reboot and select proper boot device" screen
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 14, 2013 5:58:48 AM

Enter the boot menu, select the DVD drive. Press any key when/if it says "press any key to boot from DVD"
a b G Storage
April 14, 2013 6:03:19 AM

SLShermon said:
Sakkura said:
You need to boot from the Windows DVD first. The SSD doesn't even come into play before that, so there's no use blaming the SSD.


I've tried disabling the ssd as a boot option in the bios so it would boot on the disk drive, but i still get the Reboot and select proper boot device" screen


Telling it "don't use the SSD" is hardly the same as telling it "boot from the DVD"
April 14, 2013 6:05:30 AM

unksol said:
Enter the boot menu, select the DVD drive. Press any key when/if it says "press any key to boot from DVD"


I have selected the DvD drive already and i still get the black screen(Reboot and select proper boot device), i don't get the press any key to boot from dvd screen
April 14, 2013 6:07:13 AM

unksol said:
SLShermon said:
Sakkura said:
You need to boot from the Windows DVD first. The SSD doesn't even come into play before that, so there's no use blaming the SSD.


I've tried disabling the ssd as a boot option in the bios so it would boot on the disk drive, but i still get the Reboot and select proper boot device" screen


Telling it "don't use the SSD" is hardly the same as telling it "boot from the DVD"


In the boot order i have it set to boot second and boot the dvd drive first, and i still get the same result
April 14, 2013 6:14:20 AM

You have to set your new SSD drive to AHCI in bios instead of IDE or else your OS won't install, you'll just keep rebooting.
April 14, 2013 6:19:36 AM

Albertl13125 said:
You have to set your new SSD drive to AHCI in bios instead of IDE or else your OS won't install, you'll just keep rebooting.


It is set to AHCI
April 14, 2013 6:20:05 AM

Under the advance section of the bios, and in the SATA mode selection, switch it to AHCI. Save and exit.
April 14, 2013 6:22:49 AM

Albertl13125 said:
Under the advance section of the bios, and in the SATA mode selection, switch it to AHCI. Save and exit.


I have already done that in the bios, it was set to IDE and i changed it to AHCI

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 14, 2013 6:26:14 AM
Share

SLShermon said:
In the boot order i have it set to boot second and boot the dvd drive first, and i still get the same result

I suppose it's possible your DVD drive is defective. If possible, try with another DVD drive.
If not, perhaps try installing via USB.
April 14, 2013 6:55:55 AM

Sakkura said:
SLShermon said:
In the boot order i have it set to boot second and boot the dvd drive first, and i still get the same result

I suppose it's possible your DVD drive is defective. If possible, try with another DVD drive.
If not, perhaps try installing via USB.


Do you just put the .ios file on the usb and start up the computer? I will try to boot a usb
a b G Storage
April 14, 2013 8:37:09 AM

Yeah you put the .iso on a USB stick with a program, then boot from that.
August 28, 2013 7:45:52 AM

I had this EXACT same issue. I had to keep switching the BIOS boot order and switch from AHCI to IDE and back again. Whenever I would finally get into Win7 setup I would get an error saying that it couldn't get drivers for my DVD drive... even though it had clearly loaded it. I ended up just restarting it again with no other boot options but the DVD drive and it eventually installed. When I finally got into windows my DVD drive kept appearing and disappearing at random on My Computer or not reading DVDs due to copy protection. I then reset the BIOS to default and it worked... but would occasionally still disappear after being Idle. I ended up thinking the DVD drive was faulty and have disconnected it...

I'll be watching this thread.
!