Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best possible graphics card without bottleknecking?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 14, 2013 8:26:27 AM

What is the best possible graphics card without bottleknecking for the AMD A10 5800k. I'm not going to be using the internal graphics on the APU anymore and want the best possible graphics performance I was looking into the 7850 but I am unsure on how it would perform with my APU.
a c 228 U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 8:33:24 AM

I wouldn't use the 7850 base upon:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-...

Quote:
With the Radeon HD 7770 at $120, Radeon HD 7790 at $150, and Radeon HD 7850 above $180, Nvidia is rendering all three products ineffectual at their respective price points. With one swift stroke, the company engineered a hostile takeover of the $100-$200 market, increasing graphics performance at any given budget in that space.
m
0
l
a c 261 U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 8:41:50 AM

What is your budget?
Once you install a discrete graphics card, the apu part of your 5800K becomes largely irrelevant.
You will get what you pay for at all price points, excepting the very top.
Buy the strongest card you feel comfortable paying for, and that your psu will support.
You will get better fps, and more eye candy in some proportion.
A 7850 will need a 450W psu.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 8:42:38 AM

To Jack's point, the 650 ti Boost will do a little better than the 7850. However, I think you are in a good price range for picking a GPU that will complement your CPU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 8:43:49 AM

Whatever you can afford to pay for. Make sure your PSU is up to the task, and if its not then buy a better one. Any GPU will work with any CPU/APU, its just that the graphics part of your APU will remain disabled if its not run with a 6670 in CrossfireX mode.... and even a 7850 will trounce that mode.
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 12:37:44 PM

I have £150 budget and a 600w Corsair PSU.
m
0
l
a c 261 U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 12:44:27 PM

Your psu is a good one, and can handle a card as good as a GTX670 or 7970.
Either will exceed your budget, so buy the strongest card your budget will pay for.
At the same price point, pick AMD or Nvidia according to your brand preference; They both will perform similarly.
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 2:13:18 PM

geofelt said:
Your psu is a good one, and can handle a card as good as a GTX670 or 7970.
Either will exceed your budget, so buy the strongest card your budget will pay for.
At the same price point, pick AMD or Nvidia according to your brand preference; They both will perform similarly.


Great so what is the best graphics card for around £150? What would be the best graphics card for my APU regardless of the price just so I have some kind of idea of what to upgrade to in the future? I'm new to all this stuff and I don't want to go buy a really high end graphics card that'll be bottleknecked by my APU
m
0
l
a c 261 U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 4:57:06 PM

The stronger your graphics card, the better you will play. Either by better fps, or better graphics detail. The graphics card is more important to gaming than the cpu.
Your budget will buy you a very nice and appropriate card.
I suggest you buy one of the newer 28nm based cards, the GTX6xx or amd 7xxx series. They are more efficient and run cooler and quieter.
Not being experienced with your currency and options, I can't be more specific unless you can provide a link to a shopping site available to you.
m
0
l
April 14, 2013 5:04:30 PM

geofelt said:
The stronger your graphics card, the better you will play. Either by better fps, or better graphics detail. The graphics card is more important to gaming than the cpu.
Your budget will buy you a very nice and appropriate card.
I suggest you buy one of the newer 28nm based cards, the GTX6xx or amd 7xxx series. They are more efficient and run cooler and quieter.
Not being experienced with your currency and options, I can't be more specific unless you can provide a link to a shopping site available to you.


I would most likely buy from amazon.co.uk
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 6:08:10 PM

Tevans1233 said:
How would that compare to a 7870?



7878 wins. Which makes sense, it's about $50 more.
m
0
l
April 15, 2013 9:46:05 AM

barto said:
Tevans1233 said:
How would that compare to a 7870?



7878 wins. Which makes sense, it's about $50 more.


So what is the best 7870 card?
m
0
l
April 16, 2013 12:38:22 PM

geofelt said:
The 7870 is a stronger, but more expensive card.
Perhaps comparable to a GTX660 like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-Car...
You mostly get what you pay for in this price range with either AMD or Nvidia.
There may be a difference if you value average/minimum fps over consistency. Here is an interesting article on that subject:
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...


Is there a particular 7870 card that stands out. And is there a particular GTX 660 card that stands out?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 261 U Graphics card
April 16, 2013 2:13:24 PM

Each 7870 is using the same chip and boards. Ditto for GTX660 They may differ a bit based on the amount of factory overclock.
Each is marketed with fancy coolers in an effort to fetch a premium price.
Are they worth much? Perhaps not. The big coolers get heat off of the gpu die well, but they dump the heat back into the case.
Direct exhaust blower type coolers may not be as efficient in cooling, but they get heat more directly out of the case.
And, you may have a preference for some brands, or like the drivers from one better than the other.
In the end, they are more alike than different; you mostly get what you pay for.
Share
!